"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-12-2005, 09:47 AM   #1
Chief Eating Officer

Digital Fortress by Dan Brown

While I was on vacation I read Digital Fortress by Dan Brown. In my opinion this was even better than his more well known book The Da Vinci Code. Now I have to admit I listened to Da Vinci code as a book on take during a long road trip we took, but we absolutely loved that book. Digital Fortress though was better though. It is a book about code breakers at the NSA. From the very first page I did not want to put it down. I read it in two days, but wished I had dragged it out longer as I am sad that it is over now. If you enjoyed the Da Vinci Code and like Dan Browns style then check out Digital Fortress. You won't be sorry!

Old 12-12-2005, 10:06 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

GB:

I've read all of DB's books. I think Digital Fortress was his first. He sure can tell a story. I know the feeling of, "I can't put the book down but I don't want it to end".

Old 12-12-2005, 10:09 AM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

What did you think of his other books Andy? How did they compare to DF and Da Vici? Which of those two did you like better?
Old 12-12-2005, 10:37 AM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

I really enjoyed Digital Fortress and the earlier book that has the same character as the DaVinci Code (Angels and Demons?). That said, I enjoyed DaVinci Code as well.

I stumbled across Dan Brown's books at the library one day when looking for a new author to read. I picked up one of his books and it looked interesting. When I realized there were several on the shelf, I checked the dates to ensure I read them in chronological order. This is one of my hang-ups. I try to read them in order in case there are any continuing stories.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:56 AM   #5
Executive Chef

I tried to read the Da Vinci code.... didn't like the writer's style at all, and kept picking holes in his 'facts'.

I love Roslin (or Rosslyn) Chapel and it has always had lots of overseas visitors - but since the DVC gained such popularity it has been almost under seige! One of the guides told me that they had to stop people from physically trying to lift flagstones and remove grilles, just to check what may (or may not!) be hidden there. It used to be such a lovely place to walk around. Not anymore Ah well, maybe when the furore about the book dies down? But, I hear they are going to make a film.....

http://www.rosslynchapel.org.uk/
Old 12-12-2005, 01:00 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I've read Both the Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons. I loved them both.
I tried to read another one of his about NASA but... I don't think it was called Digital Fortress...is there another? Anyway, I just couldn't get into that one. I read only the first four or five chapters before returning it to the library.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:15 PM   #7
Master Chef

I just bought Digital Fortress thanks to this thread ....

But walking back I had an alarming thought .... this isn't a sequel to DVCode is it? I have that and haven't finished it yet.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:38 PM   #8
Chief Eating Officer

I can't wait to hear what you think of it Jenny!

No it has nothing at all to do with Da Vinci at all
Old 12-12-2005, 02:59 PM   #9
Executive Chef

I am so looking forward to reading Digital Fortress. I really liked Angels and Demons. I also need to get DaVinci Code. Do you know if DC will be out in pocketbook soon. I do almost all of my reading in bed and a pocketbook is so much easier to read in bed. Thanks for the heads up GB.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:04 PM   #10
Chief Eating Officer

What is a pocketbook?

Sounds like I will have to pick up Angels and Demons next.