Digital picture recovery help needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dina

Executive Chef
Digital Pictures Recovery Software retrieve deleted photographs lost pictures images files Does anyone know how to recover deleted digital pictures from the hard drive? I've made the stupid mistake of deleting 2 years worth of pictures thinking they had been saved on CDs. I'm so upset thinking so many of my memories are gone. Would the software I sited here work? Has anyone used this sort of software for recovery of files? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

I don't know if this will help, but I use a free program called Agent Ransack (www.agentransack.com). It can find anything you have on your computer. I have never used it to try to find pictures, but I have found a lot of things that I thought were completely gone from my computer.

:)Barbara

I did this myself. LOL
I checked there as tears were pouring JUST IN CASE, and thankfully, there they all were. I just found the first, held down the shift and clicked the last, right clicked and said restore. I really hope you find them there Dina!!

Thank you Barbara. I will go check the website.

Texas:
I just checked the recycle bin but there's nothing in there. The deletion was months back so the recycle bin empties after a while. When I opened the CDs to print some pictures from 2006, I found out there was nothing in them. I'm feeling horrible as I had some really wonderful memories in there. Thanks for your help anyway ladies.

Windows Data Recovery Software

This may be more information than is necessary, but I cant help myself its a compulsion when it comes to computers:
Since the pictures were on your computers hard drive, you need a Windows Data Recovery Software program to get them back. However, nothing is guaranteed here.
Everything on your hard drive is referenced for location, you see this as folders, subfolders, file names, etc. but your computer only knows it as a location code. When you click on delete, one of two things happens. If the file is too big it does not go to the recycle bin but is deleted emmediately. If the file fits in the recycle bin, its reference or location code is changed to show it as stored in the recycle bin. Think of it as changing folders from My Pictures to Recyle bin and moving all the pictures there.
If the file is too big and is deleted, or you empty the recycle bin, the computer does not actually delete the file. Instead, it removes the first part of the files name, hence removing the files location code or reference. Without the location code or reference, the computer cannot find it and therefore considers that part of the hard drive where the file was stored as empty even though it is not actually empty. Ie Windows just ignores it and feels free to write over it.
What the software does is search for the file based on the entire file name instead of just the reference or location code. Once found, it enable you to supply that first letter and thereby re-name the file to its original name and enable windows to recoginize the file again.
The only problem is, once Windows deletes that first letter it can at any time use that space to write another file to. For this reason, there is no guarantee that you can recover the file. The longer you wait between when it was deleted and when you try and recover it, the less you can recover as other files are likely to have been written over it.
Still, considering what was lost, I would consider it worth the effort to at least get a trial version of the software downloaded and see what it finds. Even if it finds only some of the lost pictures, well some is better than none. Also, look for recovery software that goes as far as three "layers" down when searching. This type of software can often look "under" new files to find the old files and actually restore them by moving them up into memory, giving them a valid name, and re-writing them on another spot on the hard drive. This type of software stands a better chance of finding and restoring files than the more commercial or cheaper software does. It is usually mostly automatic and therefore easier to use.
Good Luck and hope this helps.

Thanks for the thorough info Buddy! I will go and download the trial version and see what I can recuperate.

Back
Top Bottom