Dilating Eyes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crewsk

Master Chef
After you've had your eyes dilated, how long does it normally take for them to go back to normal? TC had to go to the optometrist this morning & they dilated his eyes. Hubby took him & I guess he didn't think about asking. We did find out that TC is nearsighted so they went ahead & ordered his glasses. He'll be getting them in 2-3 weeks.

Sometimes it takes longer than others and I don't know why. Perhaps they are dilated differently. TC will look great in glasses. My little grandson wears them and he is the cutest thing - looks very scholarly and a bit mischievous.

Thanks Andy & licia! It's only been about an hour & he's at school now. The doctor said it was fine for him to go on as long as he wore the sunglasses they gave him outside.

It does different from person to person and depends on how much they used, but, it'll probably take a few hours. It takes me about 4 hours sometimes.

I couldn't even look at him when hubby brought him home for lunch before taking him to school. His eyes just kinda freaked me out. TC thought it was funny! I know it's normal & that it has to be done but he's the first person I've ever seen with them dilated.

Thanks texasgirl!

A sort of "deer in the headlights" look. My dh has large pupils anyway and when they did his yesterday he really looked strange. They didn't dilate mine, but I had to do the visual field test in two parts - white lights and red lights - hadn't done that before. I think it tests the peripheral vision. Came out great.

I called the doc & they said 2-4 hours. I just picked TC up from school & they are almost back to normal. They still look weird though!Licia, you described it perfectly!!

Two to four hours is about right. I worked for ophthalmologists for years and everyone is different, but that's the normal amount of time. The drops just prevent the pupils from constricting in the light, so they are "stuck" open for a long while. It helps the Dr. see the retina, because when they shine that bright light in the eye of the patient, the pupil constricts so much they are trying to look at the retina through a tiny hole. Unfortunately, you're very light sensitive when you're dilated and your close vision is bad until the drops wear off.

BC

I have had the field of vision test done several times because of family history of glaucoma and because at times my pressures have been a little high. For a time I had to go just to have that done every 6 months.

the first time i ever got contact lenses they dilated my eyes and it only took about 3 hours for them to go back to normal.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom