"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-23-2012, 03:31 PM   #1
Chief Eating Officer

Dilemma On The 18th Hole

What if you were playing in the club championship tournament finals, and the match was halved at the end of 17 holes. You had the honors, and hit your ball a modest two hundred fifty yards to the middle of the fairway, leaving a simple six iron to the pin. Your opponent then hits his ball, lofting it deep into the woods to the right of the fairway.

Being the golfing gentleman that you are, you help your opponent look for his ball. Just before the permitted five minute search period ends, your opponent says: “Go ahead and hit your second shot and if I don’t find it in time, I’ll concede the match.”

You hit your ball, landing it on the green, stopping about ten feet from the pin. About the time your ball comes to rest, you hear your opponent exclaim from deep in the woods: “I found it!”. The second sound you hear is a click, the sound of a club striking a ball and the ball comes sailing out of the woods and lands on the green, stopping no more than six inches from the hole.

Now here is the ethical dilemma:

Do you pull the cheating bastard’s ball out of your pocket and confront him with it, or do you keep your mouth shut?

Old 03-23-2012, 04:13 PM   #2
Master Chef

You both cheated so you're both disqualified! Off of my course!

Old 03-23-2012, 04:16 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

This is a gentleman's game. Neither of you were gentlemen. Sorry, I would want a differnet partner. One that doesn't cheat.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:21 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Or you have some fool hiding in the foliage with a gallon of vanilla ice cream and golf ball sized scoop. When the ball lands on the green, the fool runs out, takes the ball, leaving a scoop of rapidly melting ice cream in its place and hauls "A". True story of a radio stunt which ends with the fool being arrested for trespassing.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:38 PM   #5
Master Chef

I'd like to change my scenario:

When player #1 confronted player #2 they both decided to disqualify themselves, shook hands, and went out for a drink. The fans were not happy.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:44 PM   #6
Traveling Welcome Wagon

That reminds me of the pastor who told his congregation he was sick and took off to go golfing. God and an angel are watching and the angel tells God to strike him with lightning or something. Right about then the pastor hits the most beautiful hole-in-one ever hit. The angel is furious and asks God why he let him do that. God's answer? "Who is he going to tell?"