"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-22-2008, 06:31 PM   #21
Sous Chef

I would never do that. I'm the type of person that I can order a hamburger, end up with a chicken sandwich and still eat it not to make a fuss.

When I worked at Dominos we got a call that they found pubic hair in their pizza. Driver went out to get the pizza. He got there to exchange the pizza and when he opened the box there was 2 pieces left... 2. Then he saw the hair. It was a clump of black curly hair. As he was leaving, the little BLACK POODLE came to see him off...

He came back and told us the story and we were pretty ticked, but what can you do. We sent it off to the lab as required and yup... you guessed it... canine hair...

So ya, I fully believe there are people that do stuff like that.

Old 04-22-2008, 06:47 PM   #22
Senior Cook

It is refreshing to read these responses. I know most people are not bad, but working long hours in a busy restaurant really stresses me out sometimes and when people are really mean I tend to start losing faith.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:27 PM   #23
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I definitely wouldn't do that.

My daughter told me about some people she heard about (from the server who had to deal with it) who ate most of their meals. Then they took out a straw full of ants (it was taped closed on both ends) and let the ants out on their plates. Everyone in the kitchen saw them do it though. Idiots!

One time James and I were eating at our favorite buffet restaurant and there was a piece of potato chip in his spaghetti. Nothing on the buffet had potato chips in it. It might not seem like that big a deal, but think about it. They don't serve potato chips, so evidently someone was eating chips while preparing food, or at least near the food, and dropped it in. We did say something about it (nicely) and we told them we weren't trying to get anything, but they gave us free meals the next time we were there anyway, which was really nice of them.

I think most places can pretty much tell if someone is complaining just because they want something. It doesn't really help, as they sometimes have to do damage control either way, but I'm sure they give the free meal (or whatever) more cheerfully when they know they aren't being taken.

Barbara
Old 04-22-2008, 07:55 PM   #24
Executive Chef

Never in a million years would I do something like that. That's just down right sleazy to go that far for a free meal.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:18 PM   #25
Executive Chef

It's every dining establishment's nightmare. I heard a story recently about a customer who put baking soda into a soup kettle at a buffet type cafe.

No, I'd never consider doing this, but I suspect it's done. As has been said earlier, hair falls off all of us, all day long. Unfortunately, when someone finds one, regardless of who it once was attached to, if you run the establishment or have any managerial responsibility, you have to buy that person's meal. No point in examining it, or trying to guess which shade of L'Oreal it actually is. Just apologize again and again, suck it up, and pick up their tab.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:19 PM   #26
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew View Post
Never in a million years would I do something like that. That's just down right sleazy to go that far for a free meal.
I imagine you could only do that once, per restaurant, too, huh? I mean, after all, how many times could you actually be the only one getting the errant hair ? Nope, you'd have to take that show on the road after each successful con.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:29 PM   #27
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue View Post
I imagine you could only do that once, per restaurant, too, huh? I mean, after all, how many times could you actually be the only one getting the errant hair ? Nope, you'd have to take that show on the road after each successful con.
Maybe the restaurants should share a data base with the names of everyone that has ever had a complaint about the food and if there is a pattern they are busted. I think in a large city it would be pretty easy to never hit the same place twice for a good while.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:44 PM   #28
Master Chef

I guess you have to occupy a very low spot on the evolutionary scale to do something like like------that is--they occupy the "preconscience" era and several scales below vermin! Disgusting to think people like that exist---just like the lowlife woman who put a finger in her bowl of chili. Cost the chain millions of dollars but in the end she went to jail.
Old 04-23-2008, 05:59 AM   #29
Executive Chef

I wouldn't do it but I know of people who SAY they would. Whether they would though is another matter.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:11 AM   #30
Executive Chef

uh................................................ .........................................no.
my dh finds hair in his food once in a while.
it's mine.
mine's very long and darker than his, his is very blonde so I can't even get out of it.
if I find something in my food I say something. hair has been there too many times to count, last week, sand in the Caesar salad at Red Robin, I told them to wash their romaine a little better. with the problems I've had with my crowns, sandy salad isn't a good thing.