Dining out sure has changed..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:LOL::ROFLMAO: That was a priceless read GG!! I just loved..."She suggests waiting for a violation, at which point you can rise and get the violator’s attention to say, “Please take that in the other room. We wouldn’t want to annoy you by holding conversation while you are busy.” :LOL::LOL:

I :heart: Miss Manners ;)

While I certainly agree with you in theory, Americans tend to be a bit more practical with reality in matters like this. Case in point is this quote by the author Robert Heinlein: “Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.” ;)

Ha! I was just going to ask you if you meant "practical" instead of "piratical." Although the latter was pretty funny! :LOL:

While I certainly agree with you in theory, Americans tend to be a bit more practical with reality in matters like this. Case in point is this quote by the author Robert Heinlein: “Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.” ;)

Love it! I've heard another variation of that by George Bernard Shaw:
"Never wrestle with a pig. You both get dirty, and the pig likes it." :LOL:

Yep, Miss Manners hit the nail on the head!!! Love her.

Glenn and I were discussing this thread's topic and one thing he sees as a problem when dining out is that some restaurants place the tables too close together. I've seen this often, too, and I understand that the more warm bodies who consume a meal means a nicer bottom line for the restauranteur.

However, there are places we won't return to because the tables next to us were so close that the conversations of the people sitting next to us interfered with our own interactions. Not only that, the simple act of rising to leave the table to go to the restroom necessitated that the person sitting behind him at the next table had to be, um, nudged to move so he could get out of his chair.

About two weeks ago we went to a well-known chain steakhouse for Glenn's birthday. There were at least a dozen of us in our party, mostly adults. All the adults had their cell phones with them but, as I recall, no one answered theirs nor did I see any texting going on. We were all too busy talking and having a good time.

The waiter was busier than a one-armed paperhanger with an itch but he handled everything well and there were no mishaps. Needless to say, he received a handsome tip.

I know it's illegal here but restaurants, schools, churches, libraries, etc ..should be able to install cell phone signal jammers. If I knew electronics I would have built one years ago for my business. What's the matter with people with their cell phones?!

My daughter has a list of where she will not answer or call on her phone.

In her car while driving (It could cost her, her job if she is stopped for using her cell phone while driving.)
At work
In a restaurant
At home after 9 p.m.
In a hospital
And when visiting someone in their home.

She got so sick of her daughter calling her at the most inopportune times, for the most stupid reasons, that she had to set rules. We liked the idea, so we all agreed to practice them ourselves. Except for me, talking to long distance friends.

Don't bother to try and call her during these times. She won't respond. If you know her, then you know the rules. So you don't call. When she has a chance, she will peek at who called. Then return the call at her convenience. If she doesn't know you, you may never hear from her.

On the other hand, my youngest is in medicine. He works in the ER. He answers his phone for every medical call. Also all his emails go to his phone and alerts him. I am quite often awake late into the evening when I know he is sleeping. I will send him an email. I have told him to never answer my call immediately. In fact, sometimes I get no response to my email. Since he is my medical proxy he knows I am not in any danger and if I was the hospital would be calling him, not me.

I resisted for a long time before I decided to get a cell phone. And then it was only to cut my phone bill down. I opted for the free one. I get 250 minutes a month with 250 something for texting. I have yet to text anyone in my life. Most of my minutes and all of my text things go back unused. This whole family knows what the rules are between us. We don't break them because we know we won't get a response. :angel:

In her car while driving (It could cost her, her job if she is stopped for using her cell phone while driving.)
At work
In a restaurant
At home after 9 p.m.
In a hospital

She got so sick of her daughter calling her at the most inopportune times, for the most stupid reasons, that she had to set rules. We liked the idea, so we all agreed to practice them ourselves. Except for me, talking to long distance friends.

Don't bother to try and call her during these times. She won't respond. If you know her, then you know the rules. So you don't call. When she has a chance, she will peek at who called. Then return the call at her convenience. If she doesn't know you, you may never hear from her.

On the other hand, my youngest is in medicine. He works in the ER. He answers his phone for every medical call. Also all his emails go to his phone and alerts him. I am quite often awake late into the evening when I know he is sleeping. I will send him an email. I have told him to never answer my call immediately. In fact, sometimes I get no response to my email. Since he is my medical proxy he knows I am not in any danger and if I was the hospital would be calling him, not me.

I resisted for a long time before I decided to get a cell phone. And then it was only to cut my phone bill down. I opted for the free one. I get 250 minutes a month with 250 something for texting. I have yet to text anyone in my life. Most of my minutes and all of my text things go back unused. This whole family knows what the rules are between us. We don't break them because we know we won't get a response. :angel:

Why are you exempt from the family rule?

Why are you exempt from the family rule?

Because I live alone. And if one of my kids haven't checked up on me on a daily basis, they will keep calling until they get an answer from me or another of the siblings. If one calls me and I don't answer, they start to check with each other. If they get a call late at night then they know it is from Poo, my proxy.

Living alone, I can talk to anyone outside the family whenever I want to. But I don't call any member of the family. I pretty much still to the rules. :angel:

I have been in some businesses who had a sign that read "When you are finished with your phone call, we will be glad to assist you."

I was just going by what you said previously that you were exempt from the rules when talking to long distance friends, not your family.

I understand. I can call anyone I want at night as long as it is not a family member. The only time I deliberately broke that rule was when my sister died around midnight. I was all alone and it was the hospital that called me with the news. I didn't even know she was in the hospital or that she had me listed as who to notify. We were each others support system. So to have a doctor call me at that hour and inform me, then I needed support. I had my daughter call her children. Now knowing what it is like to get a call like that in the almost middle of the night, I make sure I don't call my kids or break the family rule. :angel:

I know it's illegal here but restaurants, schools, churches, libraries, etc ..should be able to install cell phone signal jammers. If I knew electronics I would have built one years ago for my business. What's the matter with people with their cell phones?!
They were doing that at movie theatres here for a while. But, doctors on call need to get their calls. There can be other emergencies.

But, there is no reason for someone to be rude about answering and talking. If I get a call from my sister in California, I answer, tell her "just a minute", leave the area of other people and then talk to her. I explain what I'm doing and that the call has to be short.

At work
In a restaurant
At home after 9 p.m.
In a hospital

I have to confess that I rather like the text facility on my phone. All my friends know that except in very rare circumstances my mobile is turned off so they leave text messages and I reply when I'm next connected. They know I'll receive the message and they don't have the irritation of making land-line phone calls which aren't picked up. And it means I don't have to spoil coffee with a friend or some important meeting with a ringing mobile.

Needless to say I don't write in text-speak.

Love it.

I haven't had any problems with my friends. They see who is calling and decide if it's important. Then, if it is, they excuse themselves and go somewhere where they won't disturb the rest of us. Seems easy enough.

Thanks, and I agree. My phone tells me who's calling and I have the option to send a text message with a couple of taps telling them I'm busy and will return the call later. If it's important, they can text me back and let me know.

I just thought of what could be said, tactfully/playfully, if you're at a restaurant and their phone rings. If they say "mind if I take this?" (and it isn't the first time), you could say "would it make any difference if I said 'yes?'"! (You could always do it tongue in cheek, i.e. with a slight playfulness in your eyes if you think you might be turned to dust). :angel:

If nothing else (i.e. I doubt that it would directly stop them answering that call - try sighing and looking at your watch whilst they do so), it would jolt their conscience a bit and might make them hesitate the next time.....little acorns...:bangin:

Last edited:
creative, I'm afraid that the people who are oblivious to the feelings of those around them are too dense (or self-absorbed) to pick up on small hints. If someone does it repeatedly, I'd be tempted to take the phone from their hand, tell the caller "he/she will call you back, ok?" and hang up. Yeah, sometimes I have a short temper. :LOL:

..... None of us died or exploded because we missed a perceived "important" call. In this instance, define "important."...
In retrospect, there was only one time I wished I had a cell phone. Because we were at our daughter's basketball game, we did not know my Dad had been rushed to the hospital until we got home hours later and heard my aunt's answering machine message. Had we been called immediately I might have gotten to the hospital while he was still alive. :( When my Mom was in her end-days I made sure that cellphone was with me everywhere, all the time. But on mute/vibrate setting when appropriate (church, dining out, etc).

I think we're blaming the phone for the problem as I see it: people have become much more "me! me! look at me!" with the advent of all the variety of social media that have sprung up. IIRC, Himself and I have never asked someone working to take a couple/group shot when we've been out. Not even pre-cellphone. I guess we're tech-savvy enough to know how to use the timer setting for pictures. ;) I'll admit to taking a quick snap of my plate on a special occasion or at a once-in-a-lifetime restaurant, but I then eat and wait with uploading my photo until we're done eating. If there is time while waiting for the check I'll do it then. If we're getting ready to leave I'll stop just outside the restaurant so that I can tag the picture with where we're at. BUT dining at those special places take place so infrequently it's practically non-existent. On those rare occasions I just gotta brag a bit. :whistling

I have two children - one with cancer and one that has had eight heart attacks. My phone goes everywhere with me and never gets shut off. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom