"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-13-2014, 03:10 PM   #21
Master Chef

That was a priceless read GG!! I just loved..."She suggests waiting for a violation, at which point you can rise and get the violator’s attention to say, “Please take that in the other room. We wouldn’t want to annoy you by holding conversation while you are busy.”

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 03:11 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
That was a priceless read GG!! I just loved..."She suggests waiting for a violation, at which point you can rise and get the violator’s attention to say, “Please take that in the other room. We wouldn’t want to annoy you by holding conversation while you are busy.”
I Miss Manners

Old 07-13-2014, 03:13 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
While I certainly agree with you in theory, Americans tend to be a bit more practical with reality in matters like this. Case in point is this quote by the author Robert Heinlein: “Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.”
Ha! I was just going to ask you if you meant "practical" instead of "piratical." Although the latter was pretty funny!
Old 07-13-2014, 03:18 PM   #24
Master Chef

Edit function to the rescue again GG, although you're right either would have worked.

Old 07-13-2014, 03:19 PM   #25
Master Chef

Quote:
While I certainly agree with you in theory, Americans tend to be a bit more practical with reality in matters like this. Case in point is this quote by the author Robert Heinlein: “Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.”
Love it! I've heard another variation of that by George Bernard Shaw:
"Never wrestle with a pig. You both get dirty, and the pig likes it."
Old 07-13-2014, 03:27 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Yep, Miss Manners hit the nail on the head!!! Love her.

Glenn and I were discussing this thread's topic and one thing he sees as a problem when dining out is that some restaurants place the tables too close together. I've seen this often, too, and I understand that the more warm bodies who consume a meal means a nicer bottom line for the restauranteur.

However, there are places we won't return to because the tables next to us were so close that the conversations of the people sitting next to us interfered with our own interactions. Not only that, the simple act of rising to leave the table to go to the restroom necessitated that the person sitting behind him at the next table had to be, um, nudged to move so he could get out of his chair.

About two weeks ago we went to a well-known chain steakhouse for Glenn's birthday. There were at least a dozen of us in our party, mostly adults. All the adults had their cell phones with them but, as I recall, no one answered theirs nor did I see any texting going on. We were all too busy talking and having a good time.

The waiter was busier than a one-armed paperhanger with an itch but he handled everything well and there were no mishaps. Needless to say, he received a handsome tip.
Old 07-13-2014, 03:42 PM   #27
Master Chef

I know it's illegal here but restaurants, schools, churches, libraries, etc ..should be able to install cell phone signal jammers. If I knew electronics I would have built one years ago for my business. What's the matter with people with their cell phones?!
Old 07-13-2014, 04:35 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

My daughter has a list of where she will not answer or call on her phone.

In her car while driving (It could cost her, her job if she is stopped for using her cell phone while driving.)
At work
In a restaurant
At home after 9 p.m.
In a hospital
And when visiting someone in their home.

She got so sick of her daughter calling her at the most inopportune times, for the most stupid reasons, that she had to set rules. We liked the idea, so we all agreed to practice them ourselves. Except for me, talking to long distance friends.

Don't bother to try and call her during these times. She won't respond. If you know her, then you know the rules. So you don't call. When she has a chance, she will peek at who called. Then return the call at her convenience. If she doesn't know you, you may never hear from her.

On the other hand, my youngest is in medicine. He works in the ER. He answers his phone for every medical call. Also all his emails go to his phone and alerts him. I am quite often awake late into the evening when I know he is sleeping. I will send him an email. I have told him to never answer my call immediately. In fact, sometimes I get no response to my email. Since he is my medical proxy he knows I am not in any danger and if I was the hospital would be calling him, not me.

I resisted for a long time before I decided to get a cell phone. And then it was only to cut my phone bill down. I opted for the free one. I get 250 minutes a month with 250 something for texting. I have yet to text anyone in my life. Most of my minutes and all of my text things go back unused. This whole family knows what the rules are between us. We don't break them because we know we won't get a response.
Old 07-13-2014, 05:02 PM   #29
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
My daughter has a list of where she will not answer or call on her phone.

In her car while driving (It could cost her, her job if she is stopped for using her cell phone while driving.)
At work
In a restaurant
At home after 9 p.m.
In a hospital
And when visiting someone in their home.

She got so sick of her daughter calling her at the most inopportune times, for the most stupid reasons, that she had to set rules. We liked the idea, so we all agreed to practice them ourselves. Except for me, talking to long distance friends.

Don't bother to try and call her during these times. She won't respond. If you know her, then you know the rules. So you don't call. When she has a chance, she will peek at who called. Then return the call at her convenience. If she doesn't know you, you may never hear from her.

On the other hand, my youngest is in medicine. He works in the ER. He answers his phone for every medical call. Also all his emails go to his phone and alerts him. I am quite often awake late into the evening when I know he is sleeping. I will send him an email. I have told him to never answer my call immediately. In fact, sometimes I get no response to my email. Since he is my medical proxy he knows I am not in any danger and if I was the hospital would be calling him, not me.

I resisted for a long time before I decided to get a cell phone. And then it was only to cut my phone bill down. I opted for the free one. I get 250 minutes a month with 250 something for texting. I have yet to text anyone in my life. Most of my minutes and all of my text things go back unused. This whole family knows what the rules are between us. We don't break them because we know we won't get a response.
Why are you exempt from the family rule?

Old 07-13-2014, 05:10 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Why are you exempt from the family rule?
Because I live alone. And if one of my kids haven't checked up on me on a daily basis, they will keep calling until they get an answer from me or another of the siblings. If one calls me and I don't answer, they start to check with each other. If they get a call late at night then they know it is from Poo, my proxy.

Living alone, I can talk to anyone outside the family whenever I want to. But I don't call any member of the family. I pretty much still to the rules.