Dining while on vacation, trying new foods

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Souschef

Sous Chef
I also subscribe to the Cruise Critic forums. One couple from Toronto was concerned after reading some menus from a European River cruise.
They said," We have fairly simple North American taste in food and unfortunately we are not very adventurous to try new foods, all of the dinners on these cruises seem very gourmet and many items we have never eaten". Furthermore, they also said,"I must admit we are very leery of the sample menus we have viewed......we don't eat any fish.....and have seen veal, lamb, duck....which we have never eaten".
The comments from other posters were supportive, explaining they could get their meat and potatoes on the cruise.
The most interesting one came from someone posting derivations of "American Food"
Almost all so-called American food is directly derived from foods from other countries. Most American recipes came from Europe. The biggest difference between American food and the European counterpart is that cooks used what was locally available to make the same dish. For example:

Macaroni and Cheese came from Italy where it is known as Cacio e Pepe and made with Parmesan Cheese instead of American Cheese.

Pizza (all types) came directly from Naples, Italy. Neopolitan pizza is about the highest quality of ingredients. Americans added more ingredients and lower quality.

Meatloaf is actually from 5th Century Rome.

French Fries likely came to France and then the US by way of Spain and then Belgium.

Pasta came to America via China and then Italy.

Pot Roast is essentially and Americanized recipe for French braised beef or Daube de Bouef.

Chicken pot pie's origin began in ancient Egypt and Greece, then spread all over the Roman Empire before making its way to Medieval Europe. In the early days, the crust was used more as a pot lid or to preserve the food than something people would eat. In Europe the pastry was refined by the Italians and French and then crossed over to Britain and finally was brought to North America by English Pilgrims.

Probably you already are eating all kinds of European classic dishes ALL the time and don't even know it. So do go on this lovely river cruise and enjoy the wonderful food they have onboard. Perhaps you can take advantage of the lunch buffet to try small amounts of foods which are new to you. After all, they are included in the price of the cruise anyway. You may find a new favorite or two.

Do you enjoy trying new foods when they are available? When we travel, trying local cuisine is part of the travel experience.
The one place that blew us away was the Les Halles market in Lyon, France! On the same trip we loved going through the local farmer's market in Nice, France. We bought some neat Herbes de Provence spice grinders for ourselves and some of our friends.

I also subscribe to the Cruise Critic forums. One couple from Toronto was concerned after reading some menus from a European River cruise.
They said," We have fairly simple North American taste in food and unfortunately we are not very adventurous to try new foods, all of the dinners on these cruises seem very gourmet and many items we have never eaten". Furthermore, they also said,"I must admit we are very leery of the sample menus we have viewed......we don't eat any fish.....and have seen veal, lamb, duck....which we have never eaten".
The comments from other posters were supportive, explaining they could get their meat and potatoes on the cruise.
The most interesting one came from someone posting derivations of "American Food"
Almost all so-called American food is directly derived from foods from other countries. Most American recipes came from Europe. The biggest difference between American food and the European counterpart is that cooks used what was locally available to make the same dish. For example:

Macaroni and Cheese came from Italy where it is known as Cacio e Pepe and made with Parmesan Cheese instead of American Cheese.

Pizza (all types) came directly from Naples, Italy. Neopolitan pizza is about the highest quality of ingredients. Americans added more ingredients and lower quality.

Meatloaf is actually from 5th Century Rome.

French Fries likely came to France and then the US by way of Spain and then Belgium.

Pasta came to America via China and then Italy.

Pot Roast is essentially and Americanized recipe for French braised beef or Daube de Bouef.

Chicken pot pie's origin began in ancient Egypt and Greece, then spread all over the Roman Empire before making its way to Medieval Europe. In the early days, the crust was used more as a pot lid or to preserve the food than something people would eat. In Europe the pastry was refined by the Italians and French and then crossed over to Britain and finally was brought to North America by English Pilgrims.

Probably you already are eating all kinds of European classic dishes ALL the time and don't even know it. So do go on this lovely river cruise and enjoy the wonderful food they have onboard. Perhaps you can take advantage of the lunch buffet to try small amounts of foods which are new to you. After all, they are included in the price of the cruise anyway. You may find a new favorite or two.

Do you enjoy trying new foods when they are available? When we travel, trying local cuisine is part of the travel experience.
The one place that blew us away was the Les Halles market in Lyon, France! On the same trip we loved going through the local farmer's market in Nice, France. We bought some neat Herbes de Provence spice grinders for ourselves and some of our friends.
I love experimenting with new foods. It's part of being abroad. When we used to take a house in Menorca every summer we used to go to the market and see what there was and if we didn't recognise something we got involved in a pidgin English/pidgin Spanish conversation about it with the help of the cookery books we'd taken with us. We quickly learned to say "what's good today?"

We went to Egypt 20 years ago and part of the trip was a week's Nile cruise visiting sites on the way. The food was out of this world and served on the "help yourself" style. The first course was always a vast spread of mostly vegetable based specialities and salads which you could have made a whole meal of, second course was a selection of meat or fish dishes and there was a choice of fruit and a dessert. At our table there was a couple who were vegetarian. They "couldn't" eat anything on the display of food. The waiters and chef pulled out all the stops and really wanted to help but this couple weren't having any of it. They ended up having plain omelettes twice a day for the whole week and moaning constantly about the awful food.

Last edited:
I am more of an "adventurist" when on vacation. I love going to a new place and trying something that I never heard of, now it has bitten me a few times. One time that comes to mind when I struck out TWICE at one sitting, lol, we were in France, and my wife ordered a vegatable sort of green wrapped dumpling {cant remember what they are called} with french cabbage soup. Now keep in mind it was my first time in france and at a french speaking restaurant {I don't speak french}...
I order a dish that has rabbit, it was a special that night, and like i said adventurist while on vacation {I actually ate rabbit many times in the US}. But the sauce they covered thes epoor rabbit parts with was TERRIBLE, thick, cheesy-ish, and brown, was not good, so NO big deal, I ordered the next special down, {I have no problem paying for a full dish i took 2 bites out of, I am on vacation}...

That turned out to be Cow utter and tongue, which I have never tried, and my father used to tell me stories of a place in texas they used to get cow tongue from...
I found out its not for me, I am not sure which was the utter and which was the tongue {it was mixed up in another sauce, which tasted much better than the rabbit sauce..}

I ended up with onion soup with a piece of stuffed chicken breast that melted in my mouth, the onion soup had a soft cheese on the top that they carmelized, it was amazing, and the waiter brought me over some hot breads to try since I didn't like the first two meals, I left their stuffed, and we were on vacation with another couple that was arriving the next morning, I gave my left overs to my friend John who ate them and said they were great, when I asked what he thought about the sauce on the rabbit he said "which one was rabbit?"... Its a funny story when I tell it in person, lol

DH and also think part of the traveling experience is to eat the local cuisine. Food, art, architecture, textiles, etc., are ways to learn more about the history and culture of a place.

One of my favorite experiences overseas was visiting the central market in Florence; it was absolutely breathtaking. And I know that one of DH's favorite places to visit in Thuringia, Germany, was the beer market. Yes, a store devoted entirely to beer. This was 20 years ago, long before the craft beer explosion in the United States.

Yes, food, drink and travel are inextricably linked. I hope that couple is able to enjoy their trip.

Dining while on vacation-trying new foods

We love to eat locally when on vacation too, though we draw the line at eyeball tacos. And menudo.

Last edited:
Foreign Foods

My sis is not quite that bad, but after a cruise on Oceania, she remarked, "I guess we are just not Jacques Pepin people". It is kind of sad, with all the interesting food in the world, to limit one's self.
When we were in St. Petersburg, Russia, there was a restaurant across the
street, with a Cryllic sign НИХАО, I could read enough to sound out "nihao", which is hello in Chinese. It was a great find, with a menu in English, Russian, and Chinese, with pictures of all the dishes.
There was another Restaurant next to it, and when I sounded out the letters, it was Burger King!
My sis would have been right at home there:LOL:

It was very important to me before I became a diabetic, now it's just a nuisance. :(

I've always enjoyed seeing how the locals live and sampling the local food. I would rather go shopping in a local farmers market, bakery, grocery or drug store than spend time looking at one more old relic behind a velvet rope. Having said that I also like a little old fashioned familiar comfort food, nothing wrong with stashing a jar of peanut butter in the suitcase! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Last edited:
I'm an adventurous foodie married to a meat and potatoes Ogre. I don't eat bugs, brains or brussels sprouts.

To me, a huge part of a vacation trip is trying the food. Everywhere we go, we hit a local grocery store, which can be a real revelation in other countries. Even Canada! I know some of you are Canadians, and I was surprised at how different the stores were in Quebec compared to the bordering U.S. states. Once we were going to Vancouver from Seattle and when the border guard asked our purpose in Canada. We replied the simple truth: Chinese food. She was NOT amused and made us choose from her available options, so tourism it was. We still laugh about it. We did other things, but the Chinese restaurant we chose and Asian grocery stores were what we really missed from our Hawaii days and was our real goal!

I'm very adventurous when traveling. I'll try anything once...including bugs (provided they aren't moving), brains, and brussels sprouts. :LOL:

C'mon, I've tried two of the three and I don't have any memory of bug eating. Not saying it never happened, I just don't remember it.:rolleyes:

:LOL:

I'm not a seasoned traveler at all (wish I were), but I do love to try new things. When my daughters and I go to restaurants out of town, I like to try things I have never had before - they like to stick with the tried and true old faves. :)

I'll be adventurous with a locale's culinary adventures except for two categories: water-dwelling critters with more than two arms and/or legs, and offal (there is a reason it is pronounced "awful", as far as I'm concerned).* Otherwise, I'll try something once if the sum of the entree description looks appealing. Fortunately, Himself's taste buds are either more open-minded or less discerning of flavors, but if I really don't like a particular flavor he's more than happy to finish my dish up too.

Our younger niece, a Florida native and true-blue child of the U. S., is on a real culinary adventure. Her husband was born in Taiwan, his parents still live there. Niece and nephew-in-law recently made the difficult decision (for her) to move to Taiwan to take care of his aging parents. For someone who's range of foods was about this()big, she is now trying all sorts of unusual foods. Bravo for her! (Although last night they actually went to a Pizza Hut for pizza and wings. :huh: )

* Oddly enough, when I was a kid I loved czarnina (Polish duck's blood soup) and kidney stew. Somehow, as I got older and my tastes were supposed to expand, I suddenly found I just couldn't eat those anymore.

I subscribe to the Anthony Bourdain style of travel. Eat your way through the trip and most importantly, eat what they eat and drink like a fish!

I don't travel very often, now, but if I do have to go someplace, I always spend time on the 'Net looking for local specialties and places to go near the hotel that offer food choices I either don't make at home or just are available here. For me, the best part about traveling is the culinary experiences and being able to bring home foodie stuff...

Keeping kosher makes travel complicated. So we try to plan our trips to places where kosher food is easy to find. Sometimes we have to pack enough food for the whole trip. Rode trips are the hardest. Incidentally that is why I was looking for a large size thermos. Still have not found any that would work.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

Keeping kosher makes travel complicated. So we try to plan our trips to places where kosher food is easy to find. Sometimes we have to pack enough food for the whole trip. Rode trips are the hardest. Incidentally that is why I was looking for a large size thermos. Still have not found any that would work.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

Charlie, we have one of these in our jeep, http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-40-Qu...eywords=thermoelectric+cooler#customerReviews it works awesome, my wife will use it when she goes shopping and plans on not coming right home, she bags all her freezer and cold items together, drops them in and can stay out all day without worrying.

When we go on long driving trips or before hiking, we plug it in and it keeps all our food and drinks cold, when we went to maine for xmas shopping last year we took food from our house, put it in the cooler, drove to maine, took the cooler into the hotel room and plugged it in inside the room until we were ready to leave..

For long road trips and days I know I am not going to be around restaurants or not going to have the time to stop {or just don't want to eat diner food for a week straight}, I will also bring my burton stove http://www.amazon.com/Max-Burton-Po...qid=1422881826&sr=8-6&keywords=max+burton+12v , and I will make myself how ever many meals in tin disposable containers that I can throw in and heat up on the road...

One note I also keep a 12v jump pack in my jeep incase I end up with a dead battery, but its an affordable setup, the cooler, stove, and jump pack are less than $250 all together... I also have a tent that locks into my jeep

82000_tent_320b.jpg

We hike and camp a lot that little fridge / cooler comes in handy...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom