"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-21-2006, 12:36 AM   #31
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Lynan
One thing we have to give these animals, apart from cooking oil and fat, is they have GREAT taste!! I mean to say, fresh raspberry icecream? lol

I once left a punnet of fresh strawberries on the coffee table and disappeared to do something. Came back and Nelson had demolished the lot. Only evidence that they had existed was all the wee green bits and stalks spat out all over the carpet.
See! They have great taste.

Old 08-21-2006, 02:36 PM   #32
Sous Chef

Same neighbors not long after that incident moved away, said they'd be back for Patchouli (the ice cream theif) in a week. Four weeks later she had 6 or 7 puppies and still no owner comeing to claim her.

Old 08-21-2006, 03:39 PM   #33
Master Chef

Harbor Witch, I can identify. One time I had an Indian dinner party, and used a wok to fry pappadams. It was snowing outside, and we were in crowded quarters. I was afraid one of us would knock over the wok full of hot oil, so I put the wok outside in the snow. My dog started puking and pooping all over the place that night (thankfully, after the last guest was gone), and I couldn't figure what in the heck. I put her outside and looked over .... she'd drunk well over a quart of cooking oil. She weighed maybe 8 lbs at the time. My lord, what a mess. But what would posses an animal to do that? It can't have tasted like much. Maybe it was peanut oil, that would make sense (she loved peanuts).
Old 08-21-2006, 03:42 PM   #34
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harborwitch
Same neighbors not long after that incident moved away, said they'd be back for Patchouli (the ice cream theif) in a week. Four weeks later she had 6 or 7 puppies and still no owner comeing to claim her.
Sounds like you were had!

I love all these stories! Of course the ones that could have posed a real danger are scary, but since it all came out (from both ends) alright they're funny.

I recall my dog Jake, from you youth. He was a lab/shepherd mix we bought from the MaSPCA for $20.00. Mom was making a chocolate layer cake, and took the cakes out to cool. Knowing we had to leave, and knowing anything near the edge of the counter was fair game for Jake, she moved the cooling cakes to the center of the counter.

When we got home, there was only 1/2 of one of the cakes left. He (and perhaps the dachsund {sp?} Luther) ate the missing parts. Amazingly enough, not one problem! Even minor! Couldn't believe it! Mom was a bit unhappy though . . . . .

Don't recall any other stories involving food and pet mishaps. Well, if you forgot to push your chair in and left cereal on the table, Jake decided he would help you finish. One of the cats we have now (Smokie) is kept on a pretty tight leash cuz she'll try most anything, but I've forgotten on occassion to put my cereal bowl away, and within seconds she's cleaning up whatever residue there may be.