"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-16-2008, 07:31 PM   #21
Master Chef

Wasn't there a credit card company that got in trouble recently for holding customer payments when by check until after the due date so they could call it late?
The scams these companies perpetrate astound me, but what is even worse is knowing there are people working for the companies that go along with it just for a buck.
What happened to having a conscience and morals??
I feel for you Jeekinz, had DirecTV for a long time, but finally got fed up with them 'loosing' payments for weeks at a time. I got even though, got a card reader from Canada, zipped it thru my laptop and scripted it, loaded it in my DirecTV receiver and got their service for free for over a year.
I think that made us about even in my book.

Old 07-17-2008, 08:45 AM   #22
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaQueen View Post
You have made an excellent point. As of last Friday all of my utilities bills and insurance payments are now deducted from my bank account. No more check writing and no more errors.
The problem with that is you are relying on the company you work for's payroll system to be 100% accurate at all times and allowing a company to deduct at will. You should never sign up for autopay. You can pay with your account, but do it manually, not automatically. Auto payments and blanket authorization to debit my account is why I will never again use Dish Network.

I had lost my job and temporarily suspended Dish. The person put in my request as a cancel instead of a suspend. Because it was put in as a cancellation, I had violated my contract. I put money in my bank account to cover my rent check and because of the blanket authorization I'd given to Dish to withdraw from my account, they took $375 the day I made the deposit. If I hadn't given a blanket "deduct my billing amount" to Dish, they couldn't have done it. I will never again tell a utility company they can auto deduct from my account. Never going to happen again.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:30 AM   #23
Executive Chef

I'm with you! I hate Directv!!
Old 07-17-2008, 09:42 AM   #24
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
The problem with that is you are relying on the company you work for's payroll system to be 100% accurate at all times and allowing a company to deduct at will. You should never sign up for autopay. You can pay with your account, but do it manually, not automatically. Auto payments and blanket authorization to debit my account is why I will never again use Dish Network.

I had lost my job and temporarily suspended Dish. The person put in my request as a cancel instead of a suspend. Because it was put in as a cancellation, I had violated my contract. I put money in my bank account to cover my rent check and because of the blanket authorization I'd given to Dish to withdraw from my account, they took $375 the day I made the deposit. If I hadn't given a blanket "deduct my billing amount" to Dish, they couldn't have done it. I will never again tell a utility company they can auto deduct from my account. Never going to happen again.
Sorry, but a suspension IS a cancellation in terms and it is still a violation of your contract. The withdrawal had nothing to do with an error as much as it had to do with the fact that your contract stated that you must pay X number of dollars per month on a continuing basis or you will be in violation. The company has a contract to provide service every month and your end of the contract is to pay every month. I think if you check with your cable company they may tell you this same thing. I worked for a company that provided contract service and this is the way it works.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:47 AM   #25
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaQueen View Post
Sorry, but a suspension IS a cancellation in terms and it is still a violation of your contract. The withdrawal had nothing to do with an error as much as it had to do with the fact that your contract stated that you must pay X number of dollars per month on a continuing basis or you will be in violation. The company has a contract to provide service every month and your end of the contract is to pay every month. I think if you check with your cable company they may tell you this same thing. I worked for a company that provided contract service and this is the way it works.
No, you are allowed to suspend your account for three months without penalty. A suspension is not a cancellation. If you do not return after three months, at that time you can be penalized. It was 2 weeks after I called in the suspension. A suspension is when a customer calls in and requests to enact that section of the contract. A cancellation is when you either cancel or get cut off for non-payment. Temporary suspension clauses are common in long term contracts. It gives people who are moving a chance to make a change without paying for service they don't have and it gives people in tough economic times a slight relief for a short time. And if it wasn't an error, why did the company give back the money and apologize?
Old 07-17-2008, 11:59 AM   #26
Executive Chef

I checked to see if Verizon is available here and it's not. I find it kinda surprising its not available in SF! Bummer....I might have to go with Comcast because I also hate DirecTV. My roomy has it in our living room and I think its cr*p!!
Old 07-17-2008, 12:31 PM   #27
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
What happened to having a conscience and morals??

They can result in an empty belly.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:34 AM   #28
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
I have used DirectV for nearly 8 years and have not had one IOTA of a blemish on my account.

Last month, as usual, I send out my monthly payment. A few weeks later, DTV sends me a past due invoice that included last months payment plus what I owed up to date. I check out my bank account and the check was cleared shortly after it was sent, again as usual. I call DTV and try to explain to them that the check was cleared on 6/23/08. They tell me that I have to contact my bank to get the information that the check was cleared and that they (DTV) had no means of researching the payment! So now I have to do THEIR JOB!

I contact the bank and get all the information requested. I call DTV again, and every time you call you get a new idiot on the other end. I fax over the information and they say it will take 10 days to reserch the payment. Meanwhile, my service will be turned off in 5 days so "If you would like to pay what is open on the account now, we will refund your money after the investigation clears." What!? Am I losing my marbles here?

DTV turns my paper check into an electronic transaction which destroys my paper check, so I can't even use the cancelled check as proof.

My service was suspended today. And Verizon is scheduled to install Fios TV next Tuesday. I explained to Verizon that I pay for the MLB package and there wouldn't be a refund. Verizon said they will pay my DirectV bill for the remainder of the MLB season and at the same time I will be able to use their TV services. How cool is that?!

What a way to treat a good customer DirectV.
Glad you are "hooked up" now, Jeeks. I pay all my bills on line. The few checks I do write (property taxes etc.), can be viewed (front & back) & printed out (or saved for tax purposes, etc). (I view my statements on line, as well.) There was only one occasion, where I was instructed to contact my bank, when using a credit card in a restaurant. Do yourself a favor, & forget the paper checks, & bank on line. My concern now, would be if my credit score will be affected, i.e. an unpaid or late bill.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:47 AM   #29
Senior Cook

Jeekinz, that's just awful. We've been a DTV customer for about 10 years and every so often we go through the same question whether to dump them or not. But I have to have Center Ice and DH has to have Sunday ticket so we're kind of stuck right now until we have other options.

My experience with DTV has been mixed. We either get the nicest, most knowledgeable CS person or we get the dumbest "I can only read from a script" person. And with our past experience with cable, no way will we ever go back. So our decision, for now, is not that hard but to stick with DTV.

We use the auto-payment method so we haven't had any experience with that. HOWEVER, since you have been a long-time customer, they should have given you the benefit of the doubt while they investigate the missing payment (what is another 10 days??????).
Old 07-18-2008, 12:05 PM   #30
Executive Chef

Not to mention, the DW loves movies and orders PPV on a regular basis. Plus, I order the MLB Extra Innings every year.

Luckily, Verizon will offer MLB next year. And, they are paying the DTV bill for the remainder of the MLB season.

Verizon comes Monday to install the TV. I already have Fios internet and phone so it shouldn't be too much of a hassle.

However, once the Verizon DVR is installed, Im going to look into ways to record shows on DVD. With my dish turned off I can't watch pre-recorded shows on the DVR! All my cooking shows and movies will be lost.