"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-19-2008, 11:26 AM   #41
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
I've had what GB's is talking about happen before, twice. I was all set for CSI:NY and they sent me Juno and Mrs. Winterborne. While both are movies I could have enjoyed, they were totally opposite from what I was ready to spend my weekend watching. For one, they totalled all of 3.5 hours and the two CSI disks totalled 8 hours. For two, they weren't CSI:NY and were totally different gendres. I still haven't watched Juno and I cancelled my Netfix account.
Wow, looks like your Netflix works a lot differently than mine. I have never paid more than 2.50 per movie on the cheap plan as opposed to 3.99 for PPV and my list of 23 movies right now consists of dramas, adventure, comedy, TV series, documentary and sci-fi. I have never gotten anything but the next movie in my queue - ever - so I'm not understanding why they are sending you movies out of order. As for the lastest titles, as soon as the movie hits DVD Netfix has it available same day. I also put in a "save" movie if it isn't out yet. They automatically send it to me as soon as it comes out on DVD or PPV as long as it's next on my list. Interesting how we're getting two different types of service and pricing from the same Netflix.

Old 07-19-2008, 02:46 PM   #42
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaQueen View Post
Wow, looks like your Netflix works a lot differently than mine. I have never paid more than 2.50 per movie on the cheap plan as opposed to 3.99 for PPV and my list of 23 movies right now consists of dramas, adventure, comedy, TV series, documentary and sci-fi. I have never gotten anything but the next movie in my queue - ever - so I'm not understanding why they are sending you movies out of order. As for the lastest titles, as soon as the movie hits DVD Netfix has it available same day. I also put in a "save" movie if it isn't out yet. They automatically send it to me as soon as it comes out on DVD or PPV as long as it's next on my list. Interesting how we're getting two different types of service and pricing from the same Netflix.
Greeensboro NC verses Las Vegas NV is the difference. Several times my top movie has not been available but it doesn't say that when I look at my queue. When I called they said that movies / shows are stocked in a location based on demand and the demand in NC apparently isn't series television. I guess. Netflix is cool the first and second month when you get to catch up on all the movies you missed, but after that it's a burden.

Old 07-19-2008, 04:26 PM   #43
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaQueen View Post
I have the DVR system from my cable companies and it's the best recording system ever. You can store movies forever.
I'm curious to know why you order movies on PPV when you can get 90,000 titles from Netflix for a fraction of the cost. I'm subscribed for 9.95 per month and I can get as many as 9 movies per month. That's just a few cents over a dollar per movie. Take a look, it's worth it and they have several different plans to choose from. Netflix Online Movie Rentals - Rent DVDs, Classic Films to DVD New Releases. The movies come in your mailbox, you watch them and drop them back into your mailbox. No late fees and you can keep the movies as long as you want to. (Hey, do I get a commission for this???)
this is the plan i just restarted. i did have the three at a time, gift from son. however strangely enough i felt pressured to watch them. since it only takes approximately two days to get a new one , i think this is better for me. can get as few or as many as i like.

i have always gotten what i ordered.my son and daughter both have it and they love it a lot.

babe
Old 07-21-2008, 04:25 PM   #44
Senior Cook

FWIW, just a clarification on Netflix. Each member has a queue set up and each movie is ranked as to what he would like shipped. But what ships is also based on availability. If your #1 choice is Meatballs but availability is tagged as short wait, that may or may not ship as your next selection. When they go to pull the movie, if Meatballs is not in, they will select the next movie on your queue.

If Kramer vs. Kramer is your #2 choice and Caddy Shack is #3, your #2 choice will ship. If you were in the mood for a comedy, then it's up to you to move Caddy Shack up to #2 spot.

With that said, I don't know exactly when and how they pull movies and I have had a different movie ship than what was at the top of my queue (listed as available now). This has happened maybe a handful of times at the most in the past 8 years, and I think a couple of times, it was just me not timing it correctly. Timing is key.

Say I decided this morning that I wanted to move my #10 up to the top. But if they had already pulled my selection that morning, I'm not going to get my new choice. I manage my queue pretty much every other day (the day before I know when they will be getting my returns). That way I am pretty sure I'll be getting the first available movie on my queue. I also manage it so I can get certain newly released movies the day they are released. All-in-all, I've been very happy with Netflix.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:31 PM   #45
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumies View Post
If you were in the mood for a comedy, then it's up to you to move Caddy Shack up to #2 spot.

Timing is key.
The problem with that, for me at least, is that I do not know what I will be in the mood for until that day. Friday I may be in the mood for a comedy, but by the time Sat rolls around that could have easily changed and now I am in the mood for action adventure. With Netflix you need to predict what your mood will be ahead of time. If I rent a DVD through Redbox or get a PPV movie then I can decide right then and there what I am in the mood for.

Like you said, timing is key.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:37 PM   #46
Executive Chef

Fios is installed and the DW is eliminating our stash of sunflower seeds as we speak. LOL

Will have a report tomorrow.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:39 PM   #47
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumies View Post
FWIW, just a clarification on Netflix. Each member has a queue set up and each movie is ranked as to what he would like shipped. But what ships is also based on availability. If your #1 choice is Meatballs but availability is tagged as short wait, that may or may not ship as your next selection. When they go to pull the movie, if Meatballs is not in, they will select the next movie on your queue.

If Kramer vs. Kramer is your #2 choice and Caddy Shack is #3, your #2 choice will ship. If you were in the mood for a comedy, then it's up to you to move Caddy Shack up to #2 spot.

With that said, I don't know exactly when and how they pull movies and I have had a different movie ship than what was at the top of my queue (listed as available now). This has happened maybe a handful of times at the most in the past 8 years, and I think a couple of times, it was just me not timing it correctly. Timing is key.

Say I decided this morning that I wanted to move my #10 up to the top. But if they had already pulled my selection that morning, I'm not going to get my new choice. I manage my queue pretty much every other day (the day before I know when they will be getting my returns). That way I am pretty sure I'll be getting the first available movie on my queue. I also manage it so I can get certain newly released movies the day they are released. All-in-all, I've been very happy with Netflix.
The queue is there but is not 100% reliable. As I said, I've had shows in the #1 slot and gotten slots 5 and 6. While it may have happened to you only a couple of times in 8 years, it happened to me within the first month of having the service. As I did not find it reliable, I cancelled.

BTW ~ I fully understand the queue process, just not Netflix's thinking. If I want disk 6 before 5 of a series, they shouldn't take it upon themselves to move things around.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:41 PM   #48
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
The problem with that, for me at least, is that I do not know what I will be in the mood for until that day. Friday I may be in the mood for a comedy, but by the time Sat rolls around that could have easily changed and now I am in the mood for action adventure. With Netflix you need to predict what your mood will be ahead of time. If I rent a DVD through Redbox or get a PPV movie then I can decide right then and there what I am in the mood for.

Like you said, timing is key.
Yeah, that's the problem with Netflix, kind of have to guess ahead. We used to do both Netflix and Blockbuster because of that but that didn't last long. Blockbuster around us had the worst selections of movies. Now, we'll use PPV and On Demand if we're not in the mood to watch the Netflix movies.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:42 PM   #49
Master Chef

Just curious.....do any of you use FTA (Free-To-Air) dish network type receivers? Once you buy and set up the receiver all PPV channels are viewable and free, including special events.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:44 PM   #50
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
The queue is there but is not 100% reliable. As I said, I've had shows in the #1 slot and gotten slots 5 and 6. While it may have happened to you only a couple of times in 8 years, it happened to me within the first month of having the service. As I did not find it reliable, I cancelled.
You weren't the only one having this problem. I've read about this complaint quite a bit. It seems to be more so with certain shipping locations. I'm near the one in LA (I think ) and they seem to do a pretty good job at processing. A friend of mine in PA has all sorts of problem with his queue, although I'm not sure where his processing center is.