"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-21-2008, 04:45 PM   #51
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
Just curious.....do any of you use FTA (Free-To-Air) dish network type receivers? Once you buy and set up the receiver all PPV channels are viewable and free, including special events.
Uh, is this legal? Just asking...

Old 07-21-2008, 04:51 PM   #52
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
The queue is there but is not 100% reliable. As I said, I've had shows in the #1 slot and gotten slots 5 and 6. While it may have happened to you only a couple of times in 8 years, it happened to me within the first month of having the service. As I did not find it reliable, I cancelled.

BTW ~ I fully understand the queue process, just not Netflix's thinking. If I want disk 6 before 5 of a series, they shouldn't take it upon themselves to move things around.
This happens to me a lot - getting disc 3 of a 3 disc set first. I think the only way around this is "backing up" the DVD, which is prohibited by law with rentals, I think. But most of the people I know using Netflix do it using a DVD-RW, which can be re-written over and over. It's still probably not strictly legal but it's not making a permanent copy of a movie you rented.

Old 07-21-2008, 04:57 PM   #53
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumies View Post
Uh, is this legal? Just asking...
I'm pretty certain Direct TV and Dish Network are not too happy about them but FTA receivers are sold by many electronic merchants, mostly on-line. If you Google FTA receivers you'll see these are immensely popular. I personally know many households that use them.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:07 PM   #54
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
This happens to me a lot - getting disc 3 of a 3 disc set first. I think the only way around this is "backing up" the DVD, which is prohibited by law with rentals, I think. But most of the people I know using Netflix do it using a DVD-RW, which can be re-written over and over. It's still probably not strictly legal but it's not making a permanent copy of a movie you rented.
I have all of the available CSI:NY vids uploaded to my computer's backup hard drive. I didn't care what order they came in but when I specifically put disk 5 and 6 above disk 4, they shouldn't take it upon themselves to reorder my queue as though they assume I misordered the que. No, I just didn't need disk 4 because they were showing it on regular television and I had recently seen all the eps on that disk.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:17 PM   #55
Master Chef

Myself, I have had only great experiences with Netflix, but then being by Chicago we have a large facility so availability is rarely an issue. My worst problem has been the post office loosing disks.
On several occasions disks have never arrived, I have reported them missing, then they showed up at Netflix several days later. After talking to Netflix turns out they had been opened then re-sealed. Not by me so either they mis-delivered and that person got to watch a movie for free, or someone at the post office saw a movie for free.
I am leaning towards some postal worker because if it was accidentally delivered somewhere else I am sure that person would just see it as a freebie and keep it not watch it and send it back.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:11 AM   #56
Executive Chef

I admit, Maverick, if I got someone else's Netflix in my box I would watch it, seal it up and send it back. Free movies, yeah! Having someone else have to pay for it, nay! I'd be worried you'd have to pay for it so I'd send it back to Netflix if it arrived. Even if I didn't watch it, I'd open it and use the Netflix envelope to send it back rather than writing on the exterior packaging. That way you know it gets back to Netflix quickly rather than floating around at the PO as "return to sender" mail. Opening it and using the Netflix envelope is just faster all the way around.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:20 AM   #57
Head Chef

Here is my FIOs story. We had it installed in the fall of last year. One of the dvr boxes kept having problems receiving signals. I called tech support many many times. Every time I would suggest that I wanted a new box they would say "we can fix that from here" So they would reset it (while I waited on the phone) only to have it happen again. Finally this summer I insisted that a tech come out. He changed my box and no problems. I wish I had been more forceful sooner. Anyway other than that, I am pleased with it.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:08 AM   #58
Executive Chef

Well, after using DTV for 8 or so years, it's weird using another company.

Everything seems good so far, just getting used to different formats, etc. It has a really cool feature where you press one button on the remote and it automatically gives you a 7 day forecast for your zip code. Neat!

The HD channels all start from the 800's, where DTV had them right after the actual channel. Oh, and remembering new channels is a pain. Food HD is 840 instead of 231. The local channels are all the same (unless you want HD then it's 800-something).

We tried out video on demand. It's PPV but you don't have to wait for the time the movie starts. You just scroll through the titles and select the movie. I have to research if they come in HD or not. I'm an HD snob now. Once you watch TV in HD, you won't want to watch anything else.

The remote is a little busy and toy-like with different colored buttons and junk. Other than that, the HD channels are like watching a DVD in 1080i with surround sound. The regular channels are equivalent to DTV regular channels. You still get a little lag time when switching channels like DTV but not as bad. The channel guide scrolls ultra fast, unlike DTV.

I already have some of my cooking shows scheduled to record again.

On the installation: they upgraded my wireless router with some monstrosity of a router. I think I could tune in Tokyo with it. The installer thought our brand new TV in the bedroom was bad because he could only get audio from it and no video. The DW called me at the office saying we have to return it. "Huh?" I said for him to hook everything up and I'll look at it when I get home. I just unplugged the set from the outlet and it must have reset itself. Works fine now.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:13 AM   #59
Certified Pretend Chef

Our on demand has a separate section in the menu for HD. Any HD movies are listed along with other HD programming. We found this out AFTER paying to watch National Treasure 2 in standard def.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:19 AM   #60
Executive Chef

Here's some more info:

I just got off the phone with DTV cancelling my service. They finally offered to restore the service until the investigation was cleared. I said "What happened two weeks ago?!"

Anyway, when we bought the HD DVR for $300, I asked the person if it was our equipment and they said "Yes". That's the only reason we paid $300 was to keep the DVR. It turns out, it is NOT your equipment to keep and the $300 charge is only to be able to lease the receiver! So the CS rep said I would be receiving a box to send the reciever back and an invoice for the remaining charges and an early cancellation fee. I told her there is absolutely no way I would pay an early cancellation fee and she noted that on my account.

Here's some more horror stories.