"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-17-2017, 09:12 PM   #1
Head Chef
 
skilletlicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 1,541
Dirt Is Good

Lots of knew this all along.
'Dirt Is Good': Why Kids Need Exposure To Germs
Been learning about aquaponics and before you add the fish or the plants, you want to grow a community of billions of microbes and bacteria.

__________________

__________________
"'Eat food, not too much, mostly plants." - Michael Pollan

Old bachelor cook
skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 12:21 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletlicker View Post
Lots of knew this all along.
'Dirt Is Good': Why Kids Need Exposure To Germs
Been learning about aquaponics and before you add the fish or the plants, you want to grow a community of billions of microbes and bacteria.
That is a great read. I lost count of just how many mud pies my kids ate and wanted to share with me. They found out fast enough that it really didn't taste that good. My kids only got measles and chicken pox.

One time Pirate fell off a cliff and split his head wide open. It was packed with dirt. It took the nurse more than 15 minutes to get it all flushed out. The doctor stitched him up and I turned down the offer of a penicillin shot. It never got infected. Why did I turn down the shot? Because earlier that year he cut him arm wide open and had a shot for that. I tried to maintain their intake of antibiotics. They all turned out to be very healthy.

I read a report a while back that mothers who try to maintain their figure while pregnant seemed to have autistic children. The mothers were not eating enough fats and protein to feed not only themselves, but also the baby. They also limited their carb intake. Makes sense to me. But the report did say more studies needed to be done.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 01:03 AM   #3
Head Chef
 
skilletlicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 1,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
That is a great read. I lost count of just how many mud pies my kids ate and wanted to share with me. They found out fast enough that it really didn't taste that good. My kids only got measles and chicken pox.

One time Pirate fell off a cliff and split his head wide open. It was packed with dirt. It took the nurse more than 15 minutes to get it all flushed out. The doctor stitched him up and I turned down the offer of a penicillin shot. It never got infected. Why did I turn down the shot? Because earlier that year he cut him arm wide open and had a shot for that. I tried to maintain their intake of antibiotics. They all turned out to be very healthy.

I read a report a while back that mothers who try to maintain their figure while pregnant seemed to have autistic children. The mothers were not eating enough fats and protein to feed not only themselves, but also the baby. They also limited their carb intake. Makes sense to me. But the report did say more studies needed to be done.
I know I had measles, mumps, and chicken pox in the 50s. When a cousin or a close neighbors kids got infected a party would be arranged for all the kids that never had whatever to play and get infected. Made sense at the time because those things are more dangerous the older you get. When my kids came along in the 70s vaccinations had been developed which is a very good thing imho and vaccination rates should be much higher than they are now.

But either way, every kid should eat their peck of dirt.

I don't remember knowing anybody as a kid with wheat or peanut allergies either.

If anybody disagrees, they are welcome to it. I won't argue the point. Too old to care really.
__________________
"'Eat food, not too much, mostly plants." - Michael Pollan

Old bachelor cook
skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 01:29 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletlicker View Post
I know I had measles, mumps, and chicken pox in the 50s. When a cousin or a close neighbors kids got infected a party would be arranged for all the kids that never had whatever to play and get infected. Made sense at the time because those things are more dangerous the older you get. When my kids came along in the 70s vaccinations had been developed which is a very good thing imho and vaccination rates should be much higher than they are now.

But either way, every kid should eat their peck of dirt.

I don't remember knowing anybody as a kid with wheat or peanut allergies either.

If anybody disagrees, they are welcome to it. I won't argue the point. Too old to care really.
When I went to school and the same for my kids, they served peanut butter and jelly sandwiches in the cafeteria. I don't think I have ever met any kid with a food allergy. Not until I and my kids were all grown.

I remember when mumps broke out in our neighborhood, all the boys would go to the sick kid that had them and hoping they all would catch it. They just didn't understand why we wanted them to have the mumps then.

Unfortunately we had a very serious measles outbreak in our state in the early 60's. It was so bad that the state health department quarantined some towns. And down the street from my house two children in one family died from the measles. The outbreak was so bad that the headlines every day published how many new cases and new deaths.

I get so angry when I hear a parent say, "I don't believe in those immunizations. None of my kids have had them. And they are not going to"
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 05:45 AM   #5
Head Chef
 
skilletlicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 1,541
And I never heard of anybody around my age getting polio thanks to the polio vaccine. I guess ours was the first generation to benefit from it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie
I get so angry when I hear a parent say, "I don't believe in those immunizations. None of my kids have had them. And they are not going to"
They're not putting their own kids at risk so much as the whole community because of herd immunity.
Which reminds me of me the kids, twenty-somethings, who used to protest at the nearby busy intersection every Saturday. Different causes all the time. Flouride one week, vaccinations the next, etc. Because I often walked by that corner there were chances to talk to them, waiting for the light. When I pointed out that none of their peers suffered from polio or some other incontrovertible piece of evidence their leader would tell me I was just deceived by government propaganda. This was four or five years ago.

The point is the insanity that passes for politics on the news in 2017 wasn't invented by the current crop of nabobs. They've just normalized it.
__________________
"'Eat food, not too much, mostly plants." - Michael Pollan

Old bachelor cook
skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.