Discuss Cooking's Virtual Bed and Breakfast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It has been lovely here the last week, so I shouldn't complain, but it is overcast and darned chilly this morning. It is also spitting rain. BLECH.

Thier, not a morning person is a VAST understatement. I try very hard not to be a crabby pants when I first get up, not always successfully. My kids learned very early in life to ask "Has Mom had her coffee yet?" before asking me to do anything in the morning. They have had some pretty funky hairdos precoffee!

Alix said:
It has been lovely here the last week, so I shouldn't complain, but it is overcast and darned chilly this morning. It is also spitting rain. BLECH.

Thier, not a morning person is a VAST understatement. I try very hard not to be a crabby pants when I first get up, not always successfully. My kids learned very early in life to ask "Has Mom had her coffee yet?" before asking me to do anything in the morning. They have had some pretty funky hairdos precoffee!

Hee hee...Funky hairdos! I can picture that. :mrgreen: I am in complete sympathy. I used to wake up and stare at the wall or into space for a while in the morning when the kids were little, and I remember them mentioning it...Just couldn't get in the groove. I think it's a blood sugar thing, actually. We have sugar issues in our family...

Hit me again middie, I can feel the brain cells starting to fire up. I was just reading lutzzz's recipe for Clam Chowder and I think I will make some of that today. I am sure my kids will gag, but hubby and I will enjoy it. Not sure I dare to use my mandoline (see recipe in Soups) though, last time I did, I nearly removed the tip of my thumb!

thier1754 said:
Alix, don't you have a safety holder for your mandoline? You shouldn't use it without one.:ermm:

I sure do thier and I use it religiously because I am something of a clutz with knives (Lots of bits of myself removed :rolleyes: ) HOWEVER, my hands were wet and my thumb slipped, I managed to yank myself back but not QUITE in time to save myself completely.

Thanks middie. I am ready to rock now. What should we prep for lunch in the cafe? I will start that clam chowder, what else do you think we need? Maybe some fresh french bread?

thier1754 said:
Ouch. That sounds bad. Were you able to put the thumb back together without stitches?

Um, sort of. I stuck the flap back down, but it didn't all adhere. I healed quickly though. I didn't even bleed on the potatoes too badly. :LOL:

I need a big ol' glass of ice cold lemonade. I just finished weeding the front flowerbeds & I'm too pooped to move!! It's hot & kinda humid here today. I don't know the temp right now but it's supposed to be in the mid 80's. I need to do more work outside but I'm too tired.

Their, you know about roses. What's the best thing to do for black spot? My roses look the best that they ever have & they are starting to get it.:mad:

Clam chowder is on. I made the standard New England kind and my Dad's famous Manhattan style is simmering gently back there too. I have to dash folks. I will be back later. Thanks for all the coffee middie, I needed that. Ciao thier and crewsk.

Crewsk:

Black spot is a problem, that's for sure. Ortho puts out a fertilizer/systemic product that can help. But the best thing you can do is to start a consistent spray program every week or so with Rose Pride or a similar spray. Some more tender roses will suffer some damage, so don't saturate the most tender growth. Remove any leaves that are infected if possible and throw them away or burn them, and keep them off the ground around the plant, too, since they can re-infect the plant. If your roses are placed where the sprinklers can reach them, they're very vulnerable. My roses that are doing best are in an open area where they don't get any water unless it rains or I water them by hand. No grass there. Roses don't like getting wet and can also get rust if they never have a chance to dry out. I'm having a lot of trouble with black spot already this year, too, and I'm having to get out there and deal with it, because we've had a lot of rain...

Last edited:
Thanks their! Mine are next to the house but the soil drains very well & they don't get watered unless it rains or I water them, which I haven't been doing. I'll check out the sprays & fertilizer too. My grandma gave me all but one of my rose bushes & she rooted the ones she gave me from her plants so they are very dear to my heart. My tiny white one is full of flowers right now!

Dove said:
Jkath,
I think you would look good in Copper with your hair color ...
Dove:)

good one, Marge!:cool:

Middie & Alix - my sister has a license plate frame that reads,
"All the coffee in Columbia cannot make me a morning person"
Sounds like you guys!
and talking about bedhead! My older son is growing his hair out, like all the other junior high boys. We passed the peter brady hair, but now it's almost unruly. Today when he woke up, there was a big curl going straight up from the top of his head, about 3-1/2" up. He looked like a Dr. Seuss character.
Thank goodness I used to be a hairdresser and have all the tools!

I just got back from the gym and the sports store. Guess what I got? :boxing:
That's right, only they're red - I'm taking boxing classes starting wednesday.

Any more coffee left? I could use some.
And Crewsk, feel free to come on over and help me with my front planter - I'm supposed to be working on it this week.

Back
Top Bottom