Discuss Cooking's Virtual Bed and Breakfast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
-DEADLY SUSHI- said:
Thier thats pretty darn exciting!!! :clap: What will it look like? Did he give you options for color? Do you get to pick certain sound nuances of it? You know.... could it sound 'warmer'? What kind of wood? What kind of strings? *ahhhhh.... CHOOOOOO!!!!*

Argh, I still feel crappy.
18.gif

You can control the sound to a small extent with adjustments, but the voice is pretty much characteristic of each violin and depends on the maker, his skill, the woods and varnish, the age, etc. The quality of the bow makes a huge difference, almost more than the instrument...

Sorry you're feeling crappy. :(

That violin is so gorgeous!
My younger boy has one that is a quarter-sized violin. It's so tiny, but it's cause he's tiny! The only problem is that he just can't seem to get it, and cats in the neighborhood make less shrieking noises than him. I'm hoping he'll chose a wind instrument next year!

Thier, you need to go check out the vacation thread that Sizz started - she's asking about if anyone has recently vacationed in FLA - she needs you!

Mmmmmmmmm!!! NyQuil Smoothie!!!!
10.gif
If someone can turn up the vaporizer that Luvs got me and can you turn on a fan? The sound soothes me. :rolleyes:
That was........ :huh: tasty Jkath..... :wacko:
28.gif

Sorry, it wasn't supposed to be tasty, just something to make you feel better.
<<turning on vaporizer and fan>>

Here's a Calvin & Hobbes book for you. That always makes me feel better!

jkath said:
Thier, you need to go check out the vacation thread that Sizz started - she's asking about if anyone has recently vacationed in FLA - she needs you!

I'll do that shortly...Son just called with a bizarre work problem and I'm trying to advise...

jkath said:
That violin is so gorgeous!
My younger boy has one that is a quarter-sized violin. It's so tiny, but it's cause he's tiny! The only problem is that he just can't seem to get it, and cats in the neighborhood make less shrieking noises than him. I'm hoping he'll chose a wind instrument next year!

Chances are, if he's receiving instruction at school, it's not from a string player and he won't get the help he needs to begin to make pretty notes. If he's motivated and is musical, don't give up yet...Get him a few lessons with a music/string major from a nearby college who enjoys small children and can set him up properly. Make sure his fiddle and bow are in reasonable repair and playable. Some music stores really give crap to the beginners if the parents don't know what to look for.

bye, guys! going to Red Lobster for a Lobsterita and then to see Return of the Sith!:LOL:

sush, don't forget: plenty of fluids and lots of rest. i left you a pot of chicken noodle soup in the fridge.

Actually, Thier, it is from a string teacher - our little community is one of the last that has a great music program, and there's string, brass, woodwinds and vocal teachers. In 4th and 5th grade, they receive instruction every other day. Beginning in 6th, it's a daily 45 minute class. My older boy played the stand-up bass in 4th, and didn't love it (although I did!) and went to clarinet in 5th. This is year 2 for him, and he's really good and likes it a lot.
I'm thinking my younger will do better with wind next year as well.
(They are only allowed strings in 4th, and then wind comes in at 5th. Percussion is a possibility beginning in 7th, however, you can try out in 6th if you've been trained)

Don't know yet about the son...

You're so fortunate to have a good music program. Alas, they've died out in almost all the schools in favor of sports. The graphic and musical arts are such an important part of our education, and it's a shame that they're not respected as they should be among educators.

Best to your little fiddler...I hope he finds the instrument he likes!

thanks!
I totally agree on how lucky we are here! That's one of the (many) reasons we love our little community. The best part is the big music festival they have in June. All 6 elementaries, 2 middle schools and the high school all play at a college, together. It's amazing!

I did, and it'll take you about an hour to read the last one....
(I didn't realize I had DC on when I was taking a survey for the last hotel I stayed in. They lied when they said it would "take a few minutes" ...try 30!)

Here's a lemon brownie for you - I just put lemon extract in the batter, and then mixed lemon juice and powdered sugar together for a glaze and topped it with a sugared lemon peel.

I'm off to donutman now. I desperately need my doughnuts. They are calling me.

Sushi, bundle up and have your herb tea.
*putting the fan back on for white noise*

Here's your teddy
*tucking it under sushi's arm and fixing the blanket so it's straight*

G'Night!

Back
Top Bottom