"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-20-2005, 01:01 PM   #2821
Master Chef

I've been making myself a big icecream cone with strawberry frozen yogurt every day. It's one of the few things thta sounds good to me. That and oatmeal (no, not together!). Just don't talk about veggies around me yet . It's ironic because normally I go nuts for veggies and salad.

Old 04-20-2005, 02:55 PM   #2822
Executive Chef

Its black marble. Wood floors are a pain in the butt.

Old 04-20-2005, 04:13 PM   #2823
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
marble's good too !!!!
Old 04-20-2005, 04:50 PM   #2824
Hospitality Queen

black marble sounds nice-

Hey, Crewsk, is there any pie left? I'd love a slice, warmed with vanilla ice cream on it!

and PA - when I was pregnant with boy #1, I ate creamed chip beef over toast 5 days a week for 3 months! (Bang, don't you have a good recipe for that on the other site?)

During that pregnancy I also drank (brace yourselves ladies) 8 glasses of whole milk per day. I couldn't keep away from it. When I went to the OB/GYN, and his nurse had weighed me, he looked me right in the eye and said, "Ma'am, you are fat. This weight is not from the baby, it's from your inability to stay away from whole milk. I am insisting that you start drinking non-fat as of today" (to which I replied "have you TASTED that stuff? It's awful!") "Ma'am, have you ever tried powdered? It's worse. You'll do fine with skim"

I did gain 40 pounds with each boy, but thankfully was able to take it off within 3 months each time. (may have been sooner, had it not been for the c-sections)
Old 04-20-2005, 04:53 PM   #2825
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to thier1754
Great story, jkath!
Old 04-20-2005, 04:56 PM   #2826
Hospitality Queen

this is why it's good this is a message board and not a phone line - I talk too much at times, and I'm afraid nobody would get a word in edgewise!
(someday when we're slow I'll tell you guys how I got on Wheel of Fortune)
Old 04-20-2005, 05:00 PM   #2827
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to thier1754
You are a delight and a great addition to the board...Chat away!
Old 04-20-2005, 05:04 PM   #2828
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkath
this is why it's good this is a message board and not a phone line - I talk too much at times, and I'm afraid nobody would get a word in edgewise!
(someday when we're slow I'll tell you guys how I got on Wheel of Fortune)
Don't wait till we are slow. I would love to hear that story!
Old 04-20-2005, 05:14 PM   #2829
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
me too gb... jkath so you're chatty. we wouldn't have you any other way. we love you just as you are.
Old 04-20-2005, 05:20 PM   #2830
Hospitality Queen

Thanks, Thier!
and GB!

you guys sure know how to make a girl feel welcomed!
okay, here goes:

I saw a listing in the LA times for "best friends week" on the Wheel. So, like any normal person, I called my most intelligent friend. She'd also been my roommate until I was married. I convinced her that it would enhance her acting skills (she was into theater), and away went the application.
One thing that was asked on the app was "what is something unique about you?"
I couldn't think of anything, so intelligent friend reminds me I was married after only knowing the guy 14 days. "oh yeah", I said, "I'd forgotten about that"...

so, we were approved and went to the auditions. It was like a convention for those people that other people like to people-watch. My favorite set of "friends" was a young (I'd say 25) hairdresser and his friend, an 86 year old woman with a walker. There were also folks that scared me ("they'd better put me on that *&@! show or I'll kick the $#^&* out of them!), and folks who were more monatoned than Ben Stein.

so, here comes the naturally caffeinated jkath and itelli-friend. Yes! we can clap! and we can say our answers really really loud! and we can clap some more! (do you know they teach you how to clap? Apparently I graduated from the Wheel school of Clapping.

So we go on the show. Talk about intimidating! There's no such things as a "do-over", unless you're Pat. (who by the way was quite nice) or Vanna (who had made home made gooseberry pies for the whole cast and crew and was also very nice).

So, Pat, with his cuecard in hand that tells him what to say, says "so, I hear you had a whirlwind relationship?" and somehow as I was explaining how I was now married and wasn't living with her (the intellifriend) anymore, it sounded as though I was "with" her first! Pat laughed pretty loud. Pat, the man who shares my polish heritage was laughing at a fellow pole.

They aired that episode on Thanksgiving that year. For about 3 years I was stopped by barely-even-know-you acquaintences with "OMG! you were on wheel! you made pat laugh!"

yep, that's me.