Dishes clean--Dishwasher

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
As some of you know, I recently acquired a dishwasher for the farm. The person who gave it to me sent some Finish cubes with it. Well, I ran out of those. I had accidently bought a bottle of no-name dishwasher detergent months ago. It left a film on everything the first time I tried it. I recently researched how to make dishwasher soap--I'll be doing that once the bottle of the stuff I bought thinking it was "handwashing" dishwasher soap is gone.

But I also came across the notion of adding baking soda (1-2 tsp) to the store-bought powder soap and putting vinegar in the "rinse" spot. I'm on my third load (the store-bought stuff is liquid, doesn't seem to matter). I have been running "heavy duty" as the cycle because I've had pans in. But the glasses have come out crystal clean. Amazing. I had put the little cup of vinegar in the upper rack while I was using up the stuff my friend sent with the dishwasher--that worked too, but not nearly as well as adding the vinegar to the "rinse cycle" tray (the one that is next to where you put the soap) and the baking soda. What I read was that you can extend how long it takes to use up powder dishwasher soap if you add the baking soda and use vinegar instead of those other products. Just thought I'd share.

Last edited:
I use Finish Quantum, and they work amazingly well. Liquid is almost useless for me because it doesn't contain enzymes, and that's what really gets the dishes clean. Cascade complete (action packs) works almost as well for me. I set it on "smart wash" and 99% of the time everything comes out clean, I don't pre-rinse at all, and sometimes the dishes sit there a couple days before I get it full enough to run.

It really depends on your water, some detergents work better than others, because of the waters mineral content. I don't use any kind of rinse aid, I've used vinegar and it worked well, but since we bought this place with a pretty good dishwasher, I haven't felt the need to.

My DW gets everything clean and no water marks. I use something... it used to be called Electrosol, but now maybe it's Finish? It's a hard pellet with a "powerball" in it. I tried the gel stuff, also by the same company, and one out of twelve gel packs would only partially dissolve. I don't use anything but that pellet.

I've found Finish tabs to work well, and Lemishine really helps (thanks to Timothy for the rec!). I'd previously been disappointed by washer's poor performance, now things come out spotless.

I've found Finish tabs to work well, and Lemishine really helps (thanks to Timothy for the rec!). I'd previously been disappointed by washer's poor performance, now things come out spotless.
You're very welcome, Dawgluver! I'm happy that it worked as well for you as it has for me!

I now use a couple ounces of vinagar, a teaspoon of Lemishine adn two drops of Joy in each load. The dishes come out nice every time, and the dishwasher stays nice and clean with no buildup on the heating elements. The stainless steel interior stays nice and shiny and new looking.

I bought all new Maytag kitchen appliances in February and the dishwasher came with Finish product samples. I like the blocks with the little red ball in the middle because I don't need to remember to check the rinse level because everything is included in each block. I have Cascade powder I picked up on sale and I add that when I want a pre-wash.

hamm4 said:
Can someone tell me what lemishine is please?

It's a powder or liquid you put in your rinse dispenser. I prefer the powder, but couldn't find it last time at Walmart, so am using the liquid. My glasses have come out spotless!

Timothy posted a picture on a similar thread awhile back after I asked the same question.

Last edited:
It's a powder or liquid you put in your rinse dispenser. I prefer the powder, but couldn't find it last time at Walmart, so am using the liquid. My glasses have come out spotless!

Timothy posted a picture on a similar thread awhile back after I asked the same question.

You have a good memory, Dawgluver! Yep, here it is: (Almost looks like Lenushine

Attachments

• lemishine.jpg
    lemishine.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
I've tried all of them, Andy and Jet Dry doesnt' hold a candle to the Lemishine. If you have hard water, Lemishine will resolve it. Jet Dry still left hard water spots on my glassware.

I don;t think I've ever seen it. I'll have to look more closely.

Timothy said:
You have a good memory, Dawgluver! Yep, here it is: (Almost looks like Lenushine

Thanks Dawgluver! I'll have to look for that in Walmart.

hamm4 said:
Thanks Dawgluver! I'll have to look for that in Walmart.

You're very welcome, Hamm! Thank Timothy! It really helped. Follow the instructions on the cannister to run it in an empty DW first. I think it got rid of all the hard water deposits.

hamm4 said:
Is it where the dish detergent is? And thank you Timothy!

With Walmart, you may need to ask. They logically locate the kleenex next to the dog food, so you may find Lemishine next to automotive supplies. I would try looking where the DW soap is first.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom