Dishwasher caused a sink clog

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Easton

Cook
I left the dishwasher on overnight and woke up this morning to find the adjacent sink filled with water. There's definitely nothing in the sink that's clogging it so it must be caused by the dishwasher from accumulating food scraps.

Before just a few months ago, I've never had or used a dishwasher. I've looked up stuff on google and it seems like I should be draining it from underneath, but I'm just not sure which parts they're referring to.

Any food scraps that may come out of the DW would be finely ground. I think the primary suspect might be a partial clog in your drain that couldn't handle the heavy outflow from the DW during the empty cycles.

There is a drain hose from the DW that goes into the drain for the sink. If you also have a garbage disposer, there is a fitting on the side that is ther specifically for the DW drain. If you don't have a garbage disposer, the DW drain hose should be going into a pipe under the sink somewhere.

I would recommend clearing the water and using Drano or liquid Plumber on the sink drain. Then watch the DW next time you wash.

This happened to us a few months ago. First DH took the hose off from the back of the dishwasher We took it outside and ran water through it with the garden hose. DH also disconnected the u bend from under the sink and washed that out.
Not wishing to be sexist or anything, but it's not something I could have done by myself. DH knew which bits to disconnect. Turn the water off too!!
Could you ask the assisitance of a friend or neighbour?
It worked when we did this and saved us a fortune in call out fees for the engineer.:)
Do hope you manage to get it sorted.
Our got clogged because I'd forgotten to remove the paper label from a jam jar!
We don't have a garbage disposal thing. It was grease and a scrap of paper.

No garbage disposal here.

What's "DH"?

Well, I practically took everything apart from the trap/strainer except for this rubber covering which I tried pulling out except underneath it was just the floor.

I've cleaned the trap/strainer parts so the clog is definitely somewhere in the plastic pipe connecting to the sink that I think is coming from the dishwasher. You guys are saying I should disconnect it? When you say the water should be off, do you mean the sink or the water for the apartment/building?

There may be a clog in your drain. Many years ago I lived in an apartment for 13 years and never used my Dishwasher. When it came time to move I bought dozens of Brawley paper towels so I would wash all the dishes and then wrap them in the towels.

The idea was great but when I went to turn on the Dishwasher it would not work. Since I am the only one that I cook for I don't use my Dishwasher a lot. Every two months I run it so the same thing does not happen to me again.

Ok so I contacted my roommate and he thinks it doesn't have to do with the dishwasher but just a clog in the sink. He suggested that I try some Drain-O.

Just a few minutes ago, my neighbor from upstairs was using his DW and all the water came up through my sink. It nearly overflowed so I had to rush to empty the sink out. I'm guessing any time he uses his sink or DW I get all the water.

I'm gonna call a plumber now hoping they're in service. They have 24-hr plumbers, right?

Easton said:
No garbage disposal here.

What's "DH"?

quote]

TNT = Tried and True
ISO = In Search Of
REC = Recipe
DH = Dear Hubby
DW = Dear Wife
DC = Discuss Cooking

0 posts = Assistant Cook
50 posts = Cook
100 posts = Senior Cook
500 posts = Sous Chef
1000 posts = Executive Chef
2500 posts = Certified Executive Chef
5000 posts = Certified Master Chef

I thought that's what it meant.

Well, I'm gonna have to wait at least until tomorrow for the plumber. Rates for an emergency on Sundays are $300/hr. :mad:

Andy hit the nail on the head about the clogged drain being the likely culprit, but then you said you live in an apt and the upstairs apt sink water came up through your sink.... You don't have a bldg superintendent that handles this stuff? Since it is obviously a larger problem then just your drain.
It might even be a partially clogged (or frozen sometimes too if you live in a cold climate) vent pipe. A constricted vent pipe will slow down every drain connected to it, but you may only notice it on drains that have appliances connected to it with purge cycles, like dishwashers or washers.

Back
Top Bottom