Disney World

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
We just booked a trip to Disney World. We are taking our daughter for her 5th birthday. My first and only time ever being there was back in 1985 so a lot has changed since then. For those that have been recently, what good tips can you share with me? There is so much there and a lot of it you need to be in the know about or you will find out about it too late. I want to make sure i get all my information before it is too late.

Choose a character meal at least once. They have several to choose from but you need to book it before you get there as the reservations go quickly. We did a couple of princess ones. The best one was at the Grand Floridian. You could spend a lot of time standing in line to meet characters so the meals are a great way to meet them and eat at the same time.

Thanks jabbur. That is exactly the kind of info I am looking for. I think we are trying to get into Chef Mickey's meal, but it might already be booked up. My daughter loves the princesses so i will check those out next.

I haven't been there in 25-30 years. OMG! And I live only an hour and 45 minutes away. Just can't afford it. Have fun though!
Yeah it certainly is not cheap. I think you get a lot for your money though. The hotel alone sounds like a vacation. We are staying in the Animal Kingdom Lodge. For those unfamiliar, if I have my information correct, the rooms surround a zoo basically, so you could be sitting on your balcony and a giraffe could walk up and stick his face right in your room (OK maybe not that close, but you get the picture).

We are staying in the Animal Kingdom Lodge. For those unfamiliar, if I have my information correct, the rooms surround a zoo basically, so you could be sitting on your balcony and a giraffe could walk up and stick his face right in your room (OK maybe not that close, but you get the picture).

Sounds awesome! Your daughter will love it!

Get the Pal Mickey, its well worth it. Lots of tips on where and when to go places.

Get the Ultimate park hopper passes. That way you can go to any or all the parks any day. We found we liked to eat at the Hollywood and Vine in MGM (it is a buffet and has special kid food...including an ice cream buffet.)

I'm going to go read our travel diary and see if it sparks any more memories for me. I'm so envious! You are going to LOVE it.

Get the Pal Mickey
What is this Alix?

Yeah we got the park hopper pass and we also got the 3 sit down meals a day plan. Of course the first thing I did was look to see if I could find menus for all the restaurants :LOL:

I am getting very excited. I can't wait to see Rachel's reaction once we get there.

Pal Mickey

Apparently you can't buy them in Disney World anymore, but they will still work if you buy one on eBay and take it with you. Check allears Its expensive but worth it. The kids will love it too. Its interactive.

They didn't have a meal plan when we went. We really liked the food in MGM the best. Although there are a TON of restaurants in Epcot that were great too. Just couldn't afford to eat there everyday. Prime Time cafe and Hollywood and Vine were the best bang for our buck. And fun for the kids. The ethnic restaurants in Epcot rock though.

Oh and the Canadian pavilion is PATHETIC. If I saw one more Roots label or Anne of Green Gables product I might have barfed. Give it a pass.

I'd avoid the Lilo and Stitch ride in Tomorrowland. It's quite scary. One little kid sitting next to us really lost it. I bet he didn't sleep for a week! I agree with Prime Time Cafe for the family in MGM. Magic Kingdom I'd try for Crystal Palace. The Japanese Pavilion has the hibachi cooking where they cook at your table. It was very good. Go at lunchtime there though cause at night they book up fast. Watch for hidden Mickey's. There's a book that tells you where to look for them. You'll find you'll eat more with the meal plan. We got it and had trouble making room for all the food! Staying at the park is good. We usually get a cabin in the Fort Wilderness Campground. Have fun. Just thinking about it makes me want to go back!

2 things about Disney World:

1) Ride the front of the monorail. Just ask as you go up. Wonderful view, tons of fun, and usually not crowded (they sit 4 up there if I remember correctly)

2) When a Disney staffer tells you the attraction is not age appropriate for your child listen to them. We were there for the Alien eXperience and many parents of younger children scoffed when a staffer said it wasn't appropriate. Those were the same children that had to be removed during the show because they were scared to death.

Back
Top Bottom