Disturbing the Peace

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was much louder when I lived in the city. Sounds carry a long ways in the country.

How loud WERE you when you lived in the city, Pac? :LOL:

Lots of chain saws and lawn tractors running around here.

Last edited:
How loud WERE you when you lived in the city, Pac? :LOL:

Lots of chain saws and lawn tractors running around here.

I was so loud thaaaat... :rolleyes:

I lived on a corner across from a schoolyard and with it came band practices.
I also lived on a busy street with a lot of traffic, well, I guess that's what busy street means, anyway...
Someone from 4-5 houses down on the other side of the street came over, while the band was practicing mind you, and asked me to turn down my stereo.
Who doesn't like Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here?
Of course I told her no.

I live in the city and I do these things ;) Just not really loud. I live in a historic (by U.S. standards) neighborhood and the houses are about 10 feet apart, for the most part.

Now, one thing that really annoys us is that the next-door neighbor made and hung dozens of wind chimes in the backyard trees. When it's really windy, or I have a bad headache, it drives me nuts. Not sure what to do about it. We've had many run-ins with them about the various ways they've intruded on us over the years.

My grandparents house in Key West was so close to the neighbors house, my grandmother did not even need to go next door to borrow a cup of sugar. It could be easily exchanged between to adjacent windows. Truth.

I also cannot stand wind chimes. My wife loves them. I am so glad she buys the cheap ones that are destroyed when a good wind comes along.

That just gave me a great idea. I will go and buy her a real nice pretty well made one as a gift.
I feel like I should do something for her. Just because.

My husband came from a family of 5 boys. There was an older man who lived across the street, Mr Mason, who was always complaining about the noise. He expected 5 boys to be quiet?? My husband grew up in the 50's and early 60's when the guys were putting loud pipes on their cars, etc. It was a constant battle. Now my husband's brother is in his mid 60's and is always complaining about the noisy kids in the neighborhood. DH calls him "Mr Mason."

I know I complained about the constant beep beep of the cherry picker going off Monday through Sunday for a couple of weeks in a row.

I'm just irked now that there was beep beep all day Sunday, and here it is Tuesday night and they haven't been around yesterday or today! The beep beep machine is sitting there idle.

Sunday is the day many families come to visit Grandma or Grandpa who live in my apartment complex. How annoying to hear the constant beep beep all day on a Sunday.

It hasn't been particularly rainy, so I just can't figure out an excuse for their rude behavior.

Rant over.

I have a neighbor that is in love with his leaf blower. He blows every day. :LOL: At least he waits until late morning to use it, it's always about 9:30. I could set my clock by it, he's so timely. lol

Last edited:
...Now, one thing that really annoys us is that the next-door neighbor made and hung dozens of wind chimes in the backyard trees. When it's really windy, or I have a bad headache, it drives me nuts. Not sure what to do about it. We've had many run-ins with them about the various ways they've intruded on us over the years.
When I read your post the first thing that happened was that THIS song started up in my mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrxicquutFU&feature=kp

If you've heard of Christine Lavin you'll know how funny this will be. If you haven't had the pleasure of "meeting" her, give a listen. She composes folk-style songs. The original version of "Wind Chimes" was about her one and only vacation to Hawaii. This version is a tribute tweak for a fellow folk singer who is hanging up her guitar and quitting touring. As you listen to the song keep in mind that every time you hear wind chimes in the background she is hanging them off of her guitar...strap, head, anywhere she can. Live, she's a hoot! I've seen her in concert twice, and I would go again.

Shrek and I love wind chimes, others don't and kept stealing them. So...I put a ceiling hook in the corner of the living room and have the window open for the slight breeze that comes through. Voila! Wind chimes.

I want one of those huge wind chimes, but have no place to put it. We even have chimes in the car and I was told I walk too quietly, so I put a cat bell on my work keyring.

Shrek and I love wind chimes, others don't and kept stealing them. So...I put a ceiling hook in the corner of the living room and have the window open for the slight breeze that comes through. Voila! Wind chimes.

I want one of those huge wind chimes, but have no place to put it. We even have chimes in the car and I was told I walk too quietly, so I put a cat bell on my work keyring.

I wouldn't mind the chimes so much if there weren't so *many* of them. There are literally at least two dozen, made of heavy scrap metal the neighbor got from the shipyard where he works. When the wind is blowing, it's ridiculously loud, not a gentle, soothing type of wind chime.

PF, in my "former life" we had chimes like that in our courtyard. They were about five feet long, and perfectly tuned to a beautiful low melodic sound. We enjoyed them so much but after my husband died, the sound of them in the night became so mournful to me. I gave them to my son and now when I go over there and hear them, I think of his father.

I wouldn't mind the chimes so much if there weren't so *many* of them. There are literally at least two dozen, made of heavy scrap metal the neighbor got from the shipyard where he works. When the wind is blowing, it's ridiculously loud, not a gentle, soothing type of wind chime.

GG...that's just ridiculous !! GRRRRRR...:mad:

When I read your post the first thing that happened was that THIS song started up in my mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrxicquutFU&feature=kp

If you've heard of Christine Lavin you'll know how funny this will be. If you haven't had the pleasure of "meeting" her, give a listen. She composes folk-style songs. The original version of "Wind Chimes" was about her one and only vacation to Hawaii. This version is a tribute tweak for a fellow folk singer who is hanging up her guitar and quitting touring. As you listen to the song keep in mind that every time you hear wind chimes in the background she is hanging them off of her guitar...strap, head, anywhere she can. Live, she's a hoot! I've seen her in concert twice, and I would go again.

I missed this somehow but just listened to it and I loved it! Laughed out loud! :LOL: Thanks, CG.

Ever since the kids were really small, I have had Christmas bells hanging on the doorknob. I love the sound of soft small wind chimes. :angel:

Our neighbors have wind chimes and my husband HATES to hear them when he's sitting out on the porch. There is also a guy up the street who has recently been playing bag-pipe music. DH said he feels like he's at a funeral. On the other hand, when he is BLASTING his doo wop music, he is certain that all the neighbors come out on their porches just to listen to it! Never enters his mind that he might be bothering someone.

I have bells on both doors, they were my sleepwalking alarm when I was taking Ambien...they are so nice we left them. I no longer sleepwalk.

My nearest neighbor is 1/3 of a mile away as the crow flies.

Any noise my neighbors make is low db. and not to often.

That's why I moved to the country in the first place. I can make as much noise as I want to and they can do what ever they want.

My biggest problem is that one neighbor seems to think he owns part of the public right of way and has attempted to block it off with logs and metal posts.

The fire department made him move the logs and someone :whistling pulled up the metal posts.

Why are some people just a PIA to live next to?

Perhaps I just need to move farther away from civilization. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
We are lucky that we live in a neighborhood of mostly retirees and no one is interested in making a lot of noise. No loud parties, etc. The thing to do when you want to have a loud party is to make sure the neighbors are invited. Then they don't usually complain.

Ever have a Mariachi band wake you at 3:00 AM or try to deal with a belligerent, stupid drunk neighbor? Call the police and the neighbor has no clue who called them.
The sequel to my original post is that I noticed dumpsters and activity next door the other day. As the tenants wouldn't even put their garbage bags in the bins I thought this was interesting so went to introduce myself in "good neighbour" mode. Turns out the tenants did a moonlight flit and the property was sold quickly in a private arrangement. They seem a nice couple and they are doing a lot of ripping out. It seems the tenants did a lot of damage so the new people have their work cut out. A shame because the last owners but one had done a lot of work and made it beautiful.

The other thing I don't think I mentioned before is that the tenants used to have a lot of visitors at odd times of the day and night who only stayed for 10-15 minutes. Didn't take much hard thought to work out what was going on! This is a VERY respectable "village-y" area with a largely, umm, mature population who wouldn't spot a dealer if they fell over him but I used to live in quite an "interesting" area (that is "interesting" as in "may you live in interesting times" :rolleyes:! ) so had come across the breed before! The police had started to show an interest so it may be that the tenants thought discretion was the better part of valour. Anyway, peace has broken out.

Last edited:
We are lucky that we live in a neighborhood of mostly retirees and no one is interested in making a lot of noise. No loud parties, etc. The thing to do when you want to have a loud party is to make sure the neighbors are invited. Then they don't usually complain.
That's my philosophy. The ones who accept the invitation are enjoying themselves and those who decline aren't in a position to complain as it's their fault they aren't helping to make it!

Back
Top Bottom