"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-29-2016, 02:18 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Diving, Snorkeling and Fishing Thread

Instead of taking other threads off topic, share your water adventures, experiences and related peeves here.

Personally, I have been diving, both snorkeling and scuba, since I was 11 years old, taught scuba for 12 years, and I'm an out spoken advocate for responsible underwater hunting. When I was making a living in recreational scuba, I also held a 50 ton, Master of Near Coastal steam ticket and drove several dive boats up to 24 passenger. I was "Salt Life" before the saying became popular!

Anyway, we can have some fun with our sea stories or be stone cold serious.

Old 09-29-2016, 04:29 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Diving, Snorkeling and Fishing Thread

Good idea, Craig. We have a few waterfolk here.

All the fish talk reminds me of swimming with the whale sharks off Holbox and Isla Mujeres in Mexico. What majestic animals. We didn't see the manta rays that often accompany them, but the sharks were enough.

As far as morays, I managed to join a snorkel group (not ours) in either Cayman or Bonaire, can't remember, where I watched a diver pull a green moray out of its cave. It was the size of a man's thigh! Apparently they were friends, as the diver had no fear of it. We see lots of eels and occasional morays when snorkeling, but I'm not going anywhere near sticking my hand near one's face.

Old 09-29-2016, 04:56 PM   #3
Executive Chef

It is a real shame that some dive operators have to exploit animals for profit. I am totally opposed to shark feedings as a means to attract business. There is one operator that has had fatalities during shark feeding trips from the US to the Bahamas, and is still in operation.

Did you ever drift the Santa Rosa Wall in Cozumel or get to Palancar Reef?
Old 09-29-2016, 05:10 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I hear ya on the fish baiting.

You've been to Cozumel! Some of the best diving/snorkeling in the world! We've snorkeled Palancar a few times with the little boat tour, it's lovely. We're surface skimmers, so have not dove Santa Rosa. We usually just pack our snorkel gear in the trunk of the rental and pop in wherever we want.
Old 09-29-2016, 05:27 PM   #5
Master Chef

I started scuba and snorkeling when I was about the same age 11-12. Loved it, loved it, loved it. But then when I was 18 one of my bodis got buried and the rock . Stuppid accident. My mother freaked out and got rid off all of my equipment. I still tried to sneak out when I could. But then I grew this huge bird and there was no equipment in Soviet days I could find for the bearded guy. Missed it a lot, especially here in the States where you are free to go anywhere in the world.
Old 09-29-2016, 05:39 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Charlie, with your direct flights everywhere, if I lived in MPLS I'd probably be going somewhere every month!

DH has a moustache, he just shaves it down a bit from his nose to make sure his mask seals. No vaseline or other stuff needed. Lots of divers have full beards.
Old 09-29-2016, 06:04 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

You guys are going to love this story

DH and I went to an all-inclusive resort in the Maya Riviera in 2004. On Christmas Day, after enjoying a cocktail at the pool, we saw a sign and decided on the spur of the moment to go snorkeling that day. We went over, paid our money, and an hour later, we were practicing in the pool. Then we were taken to a reef where the dive master gave us basic instruction on how to manage the equipment.

We only went down about 30 feet, but the dive master had not set my weight correctly, so I was dragging on the bottom. I tried to adjust it and shot to the surface! The dive master then apparently turned off the mechanism, or so I was told later.

I had a great time. DH had trouble equalizing pressure, so he didn't have as much fun Found out later that what we did was fairly dangerous, but hey! We were on vacation in Mexico!
Old 09-29-2016, 07:00 PM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Charlie, with your direct flights everywhere, if I lived in MPLS I'd probably be going somewhere every month!

DH has a moustache, he just shaves it down a bit from his nose to make sure his mask seals. No vaseline or other stuff needed. Lots of divers have full beards.

Sadly because we are a hub the flights are more expensive here. Weird. I know. Because I am "religious fanatic" 😉😊 I can't shave. And Vaseline doesn't really help. My mustache is pretty bushy.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking
Old 09-29-2016, 07:17 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Sadly because we are a hub the flights are more expensive here. Weird. I know. Because I am "religious fanatic" 😉😊 I can't shave. And Vaseline doesn't really help. My mustache is pretty bushy.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

They have a new full-face mask. You can't dive down with it, but folks who have it rave about it. I'll see if I can find the link for you.

Here it is: https://www.amazon.com/Tribord-EasyB...7WQWXZTW926RM7
Old 09-29-2016, 07:32 PM   #10
Head Chef

Smile

Craig had a stache too, but it has never been a problem. Maybe he had a secret?

Regarding cuda, we've had to go back to back a couple of times when spearfishing in the Keys because they've gotten a bit aggressive, but they've always given up and gone away.

The scariest thing for me was 1 time when we were diving in the Tortugas. I had previously had a barotrauma incident and sometimes had trouble equilizing so if I had trouble descending Craig would go ahead so he could hunt while I worked my way down. I was far enough above him that I basically had a bird's eye view. He was swimming through a school of fish that were swimming directly toward and around him. There was a reason for that. A HUGE bull shark that was nearly twice Craig's size was also swimming toward him and he couldn't see it because of the density of the fish school. Well, Craig and the bull shark basically ended up coming nose to nose. Must have scared both of them because each one veered off in the opposite direction like it was coreograped. My heart nearly stopped though.

I hope none of you that dive ever have barotrauma. It acutally happened the first time in a trip to the Tortugas on a live aboard. The vertigo was horrible, especially being on a boat and the resultant effects..., let's just say I've never spent so much time hanging off the side or over the loo EVER. We had boarded about 2 hours from home and I spent the entire car trip home with the car seat as flat as possible, with a visit to the ER as soon as we got home. And the vertigo lasted for WEEKS! I wasn't working from home at the time and had to get a coworker who was also a friend to give me a ride to work. I also never was able to descend easily and always had some vertigo on ascent afterward to some degree. I finally found an ENT who was a doc and a diver who told me off the record to use Afrin about 10-15 minutes before diving to help.

Tags
fish