"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-24-2011, 08:26 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Don't mess with tradition. The reason it is written in stone is so that no one can change it.

Old 12-24-2011, 08:29 AM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Don't mess with tradition. The reason it is written in stone is so that no one can change it.

Now that I am old I value tradition.

When I was young I just thought tradition represented a lack of imagination.

Old 12-24-2011, 08:52 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Nada, zip, zilch. Too many new things to try, no sticks in the mud. We do have meals we will make many times, but no hum, drum routine. That would just be boring. "Certain day" traditions may have developed due to lack of ingredients. For most of us, that is not the case anymore.

Craig
Old 12-24-2011, 09:10 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

for a very long time we had sushi on fridays. sort of the fish on friday idea.

but traditions can get too expensive.

i want to be adopted by a family that has a pork chop night, or at least fresh pasta and gravy on sundays.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 09:29 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
for a very long time we had sushi on fridays. sort of the fish on friday idea.

but traditions can get too expensive.

i want to be adopted by a family that has a pork chop night, or at least fresh pasta and gravy on sundays.
Come on over. Every Italian in town has a pot of gravy going today. Lasagna, pork chops in the gravy with the meatballs, ribs, and bricola (sp?). Fresh made Italian bread, Christmas cookies, pizagaina pie, (even though thats supposed to be for Easter) antipasta, etc. get the idea? Enough for every one to have two helpings of every thing and take some home.

My middle son married a girl from Naples. Boy, can her mother cook. Her father makes all the sausages, his own wine. He didn't leave Italy, he brought it with him.
Old 12-24-2011, 10:51 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

In my family, Monday night was spaghetti, Friday night was steak, Sunday was roast beef. In between, we'd have burgers, chicken, chili (in the winter), walleye (in the summer). My mother rotated 7 meals, didn't like to cook (and wasn't a great cook--she likes it now that she can't cook--finally got out of that chore), and my father is a picky eater--will only eat certain things. I make spaghetti about once every 5 years. I don't do rotation now--I cook what I want to eat.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:01 PM   #17
Master Chef

Taco Tuesdays @ Park Drive Bar & Grill using leftovers from the weekend.
Old 12-25-2011, 08:38 AM   #18
Head Chef

Not in our house, but when I moved in with my college roommate, I got an education on how things were supposed to be. Her mother was the age of my grandmother, ordered all her groceries by phone and had them delivered, and had a schedule of what was eaten on which day. All I really remember about that is that Wednesday was macaroni and cheese and canned asparagus, and that peas had to be Green Giant baby LeSeuer (sp?) peas. Canned, of course.

I introduced Katie to fresh peas and fresh asparagus, and I don't think she ever looked back.
Old 12-25-2011, 10:38 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
Not in our house, but when I moved in with my college roommate, I got an education on how things were supposed to be. Her mother was the age of my grandmother, ordered all her groceries by phone and had them delivered, and had a schedule of what was eaten on which day. All I really remember about that is that Wednesday was macaroni and cheese and canned asparagus, and that peas had to be Green Giant baby LeSeuer (sp?) peas. Canned, of course.

I introduced Katie to fresh peas and fresh asparagus, and I don't think she ever looked back.
I love those peas. Those are the only canned veggie along with cream style corn that I buy. I drain the juice for drinking (I know, I am weird) and cover the peas with Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing. I keep the peas in the fridge along with baked beans for sandwiches.

I never said I ws normal!
Old 12-26-2011, 01:10 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

that's ok, addie. we all have our peculiarities. i like to drink pickle juice.

i used to love to spend sundays at my childhood friend's house who's family was italian. his mom made the best fresh pasta, sunday gravy, mozzarella, and ricotta every sunday. she made raviolis so big that you were lucky to just finish one.

to this day i rarely eat ravioli because everything else just doesn't compare. the last time i had raviolis was in a restaurant 2 summers ago. the raviolis were stuffed with lobster and a runny egg yolk, and were served over medallions of filet mignon. man, it was good!

it took a dish like that to compare to my friend's mom's raviolis. and it still was only a close second.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote