Do Hummingbirds like bird seed??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elf

Senior Cook
I have a bird seed feeder off my back deck. I have seen a hummingbird hanging around the feeder. In fact I have seem him fly on to the perch and sit there. I also have seen him fly into one of the seed. I know that hummingbird don't eat see, at least I thought they didn't, but this screwball even tries to chase the birds away from the feeder. I do have a hummingbird feeder in the front yard and it is well used. Has anyone else noticed hummingbird hanging out around seed feeders?

Sounds like something IS wrong with the poor critter. To my knowledge, they only do nectar, sap and insects. Maybe they thought the seed was insects? I hope it doesn't rip it's insides around.

A site I checked only mentioned nectar. Hummingbirds are very territorial and aggressive. Maybe it is just hanging out there to chase other birds away.

:)Barbara

I throw out pounds of bird seed every day (hey, I like birds), and have yet to see the hummingbirds give it a second look-their feeder seems to be the only thing that interests them. And as Barb mentioned, they are very territorial and aggressive.

Maybe Connies right-Hummingbird Dementia??:LOL:

Birds gone wild! Hummingbirds eating seeds, eagles sipping nectar, penguins flying north, ostriches pecking in the treetops! Yikes!

:LOL:Barbara

I'm picturing Tippi Hedrens (may she R.I.P-she is dead isn't she?) eyes being pecked out by hummingbirds........

:) I'm sure it's the feeder it's self that is attracting the hummer. I still keep a feeder of sugar water here as I am still getting passer bys heading to Mexico. My original group left weeks ago. At this point I get two or three. I wont take down feeder until I'm sure they all have had their little pit stops to insure their journey to the south. I'm always surprised at the few that take so long to migrate to warmer climates. I guess they are comming from way up north.

I'm picturing Tippi Hedrens (may she R.I.P-she is dead isn't she?) eyes being pecked out by hummingbirds........

I don't know if she is. I know she was very into animal conservancy, but I'll she if she is.
Nope, she's still alive, born 1930. She's Melanie Griffith's mom. I didn;t know that.

I don't have a feeder but I have honeysuckle and there are still hummingbirds in my yard in San Antonio. My neighbor near Corpus Christi has a feeder and I watched probably 20 or so of them flying around her front and backyard. Ya'll are right about them being so territorial. One spent hours guarding the feeder from a few others who were trying to get to the nectar. It was awesome to watch their little "dance".

Ya'll are right about them being so territorial. One spent hours guarding the feeder from a few others who were trying to get to the nectar. It was awesome to watch their little "dance".

I have HB feeders in my yard too, and your right FM-they are a joy to watch. I get up waaaaay earlier than I need to, just to watch them joust. They are one of those little "miracles" of nature that I never tire of.

.........................I'm trying to think of a way to work a chupacabra into the conversation, but right now I've got nothin'!!!:LOL:

I don't have anything helpful to add except that I got to see one of these amazing critters the other morning buzzing around the rows of Sharons... such an awesome site!!!

Back
Top Bottom