"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-13-2011, 01:06 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

lol, pac. you've got humour.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:11 PM   #22
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I hate when I sea stuff like that.
one of my favs from the register:
"No Credit Cards Excepted"
I think they really blue that one . . .

on the absence of u's in Ami English...
when I was a young lad, Benjamin Franklin explained the colonists were so busy filling the English with lead they left out the u's to save materials on type setting.

Old 07-13-2011, 02:10 PM   #23
Certified Pretend Chef

I'm really annoyed by the rampant misuse of apostrophes (or should I say apostrophe's?). Everywhere there is a word that ends in "S" people feel the need to add an apostrophe.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:23 PM   #24
Master Chef

I have a good, elderly, blind friend who I read to. She always has questions for my husband or me. I cover language and literature, husband covers history and geography. We're both a little iffy on sciences; and sports? Forget it! But her latest question was pronouncing some words. Charade was one of them. She thought people were being pretentious if people pronounce the second syllable as in "odd", liked "aid" better. I told her both were correct depending on where you're from. My husband crack the group up by singing that ditty about tomato and potato, and let's call the whole thing off!
Old 07-13-2011, 02:26 PM   #25
Master Chef

Lol! Talking about signs, we have a barber that cuts hair down the street in his caravan. His sign says Satan's babar shop "Satin's barber shop" Shame I guess it's not his fault.

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 02:28 PM   #26
Master Chef

Andy, I agree with you. Superfluous punctuation, or ignoring any at all. As I said, I read aloud a couple times a week, and an absent or misplaced comma, semicolon, period, etc., can render a sentence impossible to read aloud without reading and re-reading it. Ever hear of a book called Eats, Shoots, and Leaves? It has some doozies in it.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:29 PM   #27
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I have a good, elderly, blind friend who I read to. She always has questions for my husband or me. I cover language and literature, husband covers history and geography. We're both a little iffy on sciences; and sports? Forget it! But her latest question was pronouncing some words. Charade was one of them. She thought people were being pretentious if people pronounce the second syllable as in "odd", liked "aid" better. I told her both were correct depending on where you're from. My husband crack the group up by singing that ditty about tomato and potato, and let's call the whole thing off!
Lol! So which is it Claire? Tomayto or tomato? Hehe

Old 07-13-2011, 02:38 PM   #28
Master Chef

Haha! We both say potayto and tomayto. My husband is a Midwesterner (USA) and I was raised all over the place. But if anyone questions us, we call the whole thing off! I wonder if anyone here is too young to know the song?
Old 07-13-2011, 02:46 PM   #29
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Haha! We both say potayto and tomayto. My husband is a Midwesterner (USA) and I was raised all over the place. But if anyone questions us, we call the whole thing off! I wonder if anyone here is too young to know the song?
Lol! Looks like I've started a huge debate with this darn thread. I just wanted to ask a question :)
I say tomato and potayto. Strange but most Afrikaans people do.
Now when it comes to my home language I make no mistakes. Only proper Afrikaans was allowed in our school, no funny business..lol!

Old 07-13-2011, 03:01 PM   #30
Master Chef

My father was in the military, so I just kind of go with the flow on most words, and don't consider any option right or wrong. When I was in New Hampshire, a water fountain was a bubbler. Carbonated beverages were soda most places I lived, but here are pop and in New Hampshire were tonic. Then over many years I had to learn a few words in many different languages. Don't know enough to speak any of them! So few can offend me by their pronunciation unless they are trying hard to do it!

I, too, do have my limits. I am an aunt, not an ant. Probably comes from a French-Canadian translation from "tante". It isn't so much that I'm being stubborn, but just prefer my nieces and nephews to use "aunt". I find it amusing how people get offended if you pronounce something differently.