Do me a favour, is it flavor or flavour..lol!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hate when I sea stuff like that.
:LOL:

one of my favs from the register:
"No Credit Cards Excepted"
I think they really blue that one . . .

on the absence of u's in Ami English...
when I was a young lad, Benjamin Franklin explained the colonists were so busy filling the English with lead they left out the u's to save materials on type setting.

I'm really annoyed by the rampant misuse of apostrophes (or should I say apostrophe's?). Everywhere there is a word that ends in "S" people feel the need to add an apostrophe.

I have a good, elderly, blind friend who I read to. She always has questions for my husband or me. I cover language and literature, husband covers history and geography. We're both a little iffy on sciences; and sports? Forget it! But her latest question was pronouncing some words. Charade was one of them. She thought people were being pretentious if people pronounce the second syllable as in "odd", liked "aid" better. I told her both were correct depending on where you're from. My husband crack the group up by singing that ditty about tomato and potato, and let's call the whole thing off!

Lol! Talking about signs, we have a barber that cuts hair down the street in his caravan. His sign says Satan's babar shop "Satin's barber shop" Shame I guess it's not his fault.

Andy, I agree with you. Superfluous punctuation, or ignoring any at all. As I said, I read aloud a couple times a week, and an absent or misplaced comma, semicolon, period, etc., can render a sentence impossible to read aloud without reading and re-reading it. Ever hear of a book called Eats, Shoots, and Leaves? It has some doozies in it.

I have a good, elderly, blind friend who I read to. She always has questions for my husband or me. I cover language and literature, husband covers history and geography. We're both a little iffy on sciences; and sports? Forget it! But her latest question was pronouncing some words. Charade was one of them. She thought people were being pretentious if people pronounce the second syllable as in "odd", liked "aid" better. I told her both were correct depending on where you're from. My husband crack the group up by singing that ditty about tomato and potato, and let's call the whole thing off!

Lol! So which is it Claire? Tomayto or tomato? Hehe

Haha! We both say potayto and tomayto. My husband is a Midwesterner (USA) and I was raised all over the place. But if anyone questions us, we call the whole thing off! I wonder if anyone here is too young to know the song?

Haha! We both say potayto and tomayto. My husband is a Midwesterner (USA) and I was raised all over the place. But if anyone questions us, we call the whole thing off! I wonder if anyone here is too young to know the song?

Lol! Looks like I've started a huge debate with this darn thread. I just wanted to ask a question :)
I say tomato and potayto. Strange but most Afrikaans people do.
Now when it comes to my home language I make no mistakes. Only proper Afrikaans was allowed in our school, no funny business..lol!

My father was in the military, so I just kind of go with the flow on most words, and don't consider any option right or wrong. When I was in New Hampshire, a water fountain was a bubbler. Carbonated beverages were soda most places I lived, but here are pop and in New Hampshire were tonic. Then over many years I had to learn a few words in many different languages. Don't know enough to speak any of them! So few can offend me by their pronunciation unless they are trying hard to do it!

I, too, do have my limits. I am an aunt, not an ant. Probably comes from a French-Canadian translation from "tante". It isn't so much that I'm being stubborn, but just prefer my nieces and nephews to use "aunt". I find it amusing how people get offended if you pronounce something differently.

Last edited:
Well, speaking as a student who was taught grammar in the late '50's and early '60's, I have to say that I was very surprised when I went back to school last year. It had been some 38 years since I was in school. The lack of knowledge of grammar and spelling among my younger classmates was astounding. Over the years, I have come to accept that there are some things that will just never change, such as the apparent confusion over terms such as "lose" and "loose". Some folks seem to think those terms are interchangeable. It all worries me.
'Course, from time to time, I sometimes slip into a alter ego, if you will, speaking the lingo of the Mountain Men, for example. But it is a concious decision when I do that and I am certain that some folks who read such writings from me are surprised to find that I actually have a fair command of the English language.

My father was in the military, so I just kind of go with the flow on most words, and don't consider any option right or wrong. When I was in New Hampshire, a water fountain was a bubbler. Carbonated beverages were soda most places I lived, but here are pop and in New Hampshire were tonic. Then over many years I had to learn a few words in many different languages. Don't know enough to speak any of them! So few can offend me by their pronunciation unless they are trying hard to do it!

I, too, do have my limits. I am an aunt, not an ant. Probably comes from a French-Canadian translation from "tante". It isn't so much that I'm being stubborn, but just prefer my nieces and nephews to use "aunt". I find it amusing how people get offended if you pronounce something differently.

I got 97% for English when I graduated high school, you would never say that now! Maybe it's the influence around me or too much Bob the Builder and Mister maker etc. My brain has turned into porridge..lol!

What about "Realise" and "Realize"

I thought that in Canada, not that long ago, that we dropped the Z for the S in the above word and some others.

Let me expalin to you how the our as opposed to or happened.

Long, long ago in a land far, far away, the country of England decided to absorb the country of Wales into the Kingdom of Great Britain. While hanging around at court, the Scots, whom had already been absorbed, noticed that the Welsh appeared to have thousands upon thousands of vowels they weren't using. Being the thrifty people they were recognized to be, they decided that instead of letting all those vowels go to waste, they would take those unused vowels from the Welsh and sprinkle them generously throughout the English language.

Let me expalin to you how the our as opposed to or happened.

Long, long ago in a land far, far away, the country of England decided to absorb the country of Wales into the Kingdom of Great Britain. While hanging around at court, the Scots, whom had already been absorbed, noticed that the Welsh appeared to have thousands upon thousands of vowels they weren't using. Being the thrifty people they were recognized to be, they decided that instead of letting all those vowels go to waste, they would take those unused vowels from the Welsh and sprinkle them generously throughout the English language.

Really? I thought that was Vanna White.

Back
Top Bottom