"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-26-2007, 11:52 PM   #11
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I signed up for the bone marrow registry about 12 years ago. When I lived in California I was a regular platelet donor (I am loaded with them and could give twice what most people gave in half the time--they called me a platelet making machine), but I haven't found a center here yet. I'm sure there must be a place in Charlotte. I need to check on that.

Barbara

Old 02-27-2007, 05:20 PM   #12
Master Chef

I don't see a center near me to become a bone marrow donor. However, there used to be a blood donation center in the neighboring city and I will see if they obtain platelets.

Just a note too........ I recommend if at all possible for you to donate your organs also to save a life. My mother suffered kidney failure and received a kidney, her sister was on the list but died before one was found and ultimately I have inherited their medical condition and will possibly have to deal with this somewhere down the line. Above all.... make your wishes be know to your loved ones because even though you may request to be a donor and have that on the back of your license its ultimately up to your loved ones left behind whether or not to donate them.

Old 02-27-2007, 07:30 PM   #13
Senior Cook

In Canada the Canadian Blood Services are responsible for blood, bone marrow, plasma, platelets and financial donations.

Each year, hundreds of Canadians need bone marrow transplants to treat potentially life-threatening illnesses. Fewer than 30% of these patients will find a family member with compatible bone marrow to donate. For the rest, an unrelated donor is the only available source of bone marrow. The Unrelated Bone Marrow Donor Registry locates compatible, committed, healthy, unrelated donors for Canadian bone marrow patients and for patients around the world. Canadian Blood Services - Société canadienne du sang - Financial Gifts

I hope that everybody at very least has signed to be an organ donor. Help others even when you are gone.

Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 07:34 PM   #14
Senior Cook

I thought that this was interesting :
Canadian Blood Services - Société canadienne du sang - Give before you go!
Give before you go!
Don’t let your travel plans sideline you from saving lives: please give before you go! Call 1 888 2 DONATE (1-888-236-6283) to book your appointment.
Did you know?
If you spend time in a region affected by malaria, you will be temporarily deferred from donating blood.

Depending on the length of your stay in an affected region, this deferral can last from six months to three years.

Popular tourist destinations (Dominican Republic, Mexico, Jamaica, etc.) have some regions where malaria exposure is a risk.

Last year, we had to temporarily defer over 40,000 donors due to potential exposure to malaria.

Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote