"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-12-2008, 02:11 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Do ya think he's trying to tell me something?

I have this very fat, old cat named Jack. He pretty much sleeps all day but never sleeps through dinner! He's a very friendly and interactive cat but he isn't much of a lap cat. (It's kinda hard for him to haul his belly up into someone's lap.)

Anyway, for the past 3 or 4 days, he's been my shadow. Not only that, he's been insisting upon getting in my lap. All the time. I swear, he's following me around so that the minute I sit, he can jump into my lap. And he's got to sleep in bed with me. Normally, he sleeps in a different place every night. Often at the foot of someone's bed. But now, he's got to sleep up under the covers next to me. And he reaches up and touches me all night long. Usually, he only touches me to wake me up if the other cat is accidentally locked in the basement.

At first, I was very worried that he might be sick. I watched him carefully to make sure he's eating and drinking normally. No urinary obstruction. No injuries or abscesses. Nothing. He seems very healthy.

So I'm telling my son about this and he says "Did you read about the cat in the nursing home? He only goes into a resident's room when they are about to die. So how are you feeling, Ma?" Okay, so we laugh a lot and hang up. But I had the weirdest dreams the last 2 nights - one of those chase dreams where the bad guy is pursuing you relentlessly, you know? Only it's Jack who's after me. (Of course, I think he's like the size of a cow in my dream.)

I don't really think he's telling me I'm about to kick the bucket but do you think he's trying to tell me something else? Has anybody else's cat done this?

Old 03-12-2008, 02:17 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Haha! You have your very own stalker!!!

Old 03-12-2008, 02:21 PM   #3
Master Chef

Maybe he is trying to tell you he is lonely? Or he wants a girlfriend? LOL.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:38 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
We've have lots of kitties and yours sounds like he's going through a stage. From time to time, some of ours will "suck up" and pick Buck or me to love, love, love. Right now our Miss Rodeo chooses to glue herself to me every evening and is everywhere I am when I'm not sitting in the recliner watching TV. In a while (a week, few weeks) she'll leave me alone and another one of the furry children will take her place being my shadow.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:38 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
I have this very fat, old cat named Jack. He pretty much sleeps all day but never sleeps through dinner! He's a very friendly and interactive cat but he isn't much of a lap cat. (It's kinda hard for him to haul his belly up into someone's lap.)

Anyway, for the past 3 or 4 days, he's been my shadow. Not only that, he's been insisting upon getting in my lap. All the time. I swear, he's following me around so that the minute I sit, he can jump into my lap. And he's got to sleep in bed with me. Normally, he sleeps in a different place every night. Often at the foot of someone's bed. But now, he's got to sleep up under the covers next to me. And he reaches up and touches me all night long. Usually, he only touches me to wake me up if the other cat is accidentally locked in the basement.

At first, I was very worried that he might be sick. I watched him carefully to make sure he's eating and drinking normally. No urinary obstruction. No injuries or abscesses. Nothing. He seems very healthy.

So I'm telling my son about this and he says "Did you read about the cat in the nursing home? He only goes into a resident's room when they are about to die. So how are you feeling, Ma?" Okay, so we laugh a lot and hang up. But I had the weirdest dreams the last 2 nights - one of those chase dreams where the bad guy is pursuing you relentlessly, you know? Only it's Jack who's after me. (Of course, I think he's like the size of a cow in my dream.)

I don't really think he's telling me I'm about to kick the bucket but do you think he's trying to tell me something else? Has anybody else's cat done this?
i don't know about jack but my thomas is like that when i am sick. he seems to know i need comfort.

babe
Old 03-12-2008, 06:33 PM   #6
Executive Chef

My cats have always felt it was their job to "keep us warm" when we are sick, too, Babe. But I'm feeling great right now and not unhappy about anything either. Unless he knows something I don't know.

He was made a kinder, gentler Jack years ago, Maverick, so he's probably not looking for a girlfriend. He'd be hard pressed to know what to do with one at this point.

I like the idea of Jack as a stalker, redkitty. It's funny because he is so freaking fat but he's a great mouser! You'd never think it to look at him. But I guess he must have pretty good stalking skills for that.

Maybe he is just shaking things up a bit, Katie. I like having him be so affectionate - except in the middle of the night. I'm locking the bedroom door tonight so he'll just have to pester somebody else!
Old 03-12-2008, 07:41 PM   #7
Executive Chef

I think it's a stage also. My dog would and lie with me if I was sick, but not these cats. One cat normally sleeps in the hallway. Every once in awhile, she will decide to spend a week sleeping on the bed beside me. Snoring very loudly I might add! There is no rhyme or reason as to when she will decide to sleep there. I just go with the flow.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:50 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loprraine View Post
I think it's a stage also. My dog would and lie with me if I was sick, but not these cats. One cat normally sleeps in the hallway. Every once in awhile, she will decide to spend a week sleeping on the bed beside me. Snoring very loudly I might add! There is no rhyme or reason as to when she will decide to sleep there. I just go with the flow.
One of my cats is the same way he's indifferent for months then one day he's following me every where demanding to be on my lap and so on.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:22 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
do you think he's trying to tell me something
Uhhhhhhh - yeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaa! He's trying to tell you that you're the "bestest" piece of warm-blooded furniture he's found yet!

I have also noticed my cat being more affectionate - but that's not hard for him to do when all you have to do is look at him and he runs away! It might come with age. My cat almost won't leave me alone (sometimes) and he now lets my husband look at him occasionally without running away and even touch his head

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 02:03 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
Uhhhhhhh - yeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaa! He's trying to tell you that you're the "bestest" piece of warm-blooded furniture he's found yet!

I have also noticed my cat being more affectionate - but that's not hard for him to do when all you have to do is look at him and he runs away! It might come with age. My cat almost won't leave me alone (sometimes) and he now lets my husband look at him occasionally without running away and even touch his head
Well, maybe it's something in the water. My other cat sounds like he's related to yours, though.