Do ya think he's trying to tell me something?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fisher's Mom

Executive Chef
I have this very fat, old cat named Jack. He pretty much sleeps all day but never sleeps through dinner! He's a very friendly and interactive cat but he isn't much of a lap cat. (It's kinda hard for him to haul his belly up into someone's lap.)

Anyway, for the past 3 or 4 days, he's been my shadow. Not only that, he's been insisting upon getting in my lap. All the time. I swear, he's following me around so that the minute I sit, he can jump into my lap. And he's got to sleep in bed with me. Normally, he sleeps in a different place every night. Often at the foot of someone's bed. But now, he's got to sleep up under the covers next to me. And he reaches up and touches me all night long. Usually, he only touches me to wake me up if the other cat is accidentally locked in the basement.

At first, I was very worried that he might be sick. I watched him carefully to make sure he's eating and drinking normally. No urinary obstruction. No injuries or abscesses. Nothing. He seems very healthy.

So I'm telling my son about this and he says "Did you read about the cat in the nursing home? He only goes into a resident's room when they are about to die. So how are you feeling, Ma?" Okay, so we laugh a lot and hang up. But I had the weirdest dreams the last 2 nights - one of those chase dreams where the bad guy is pursuing you relentlessly, you know? Only it's Jack who's after me. (Of course, I think he's like the size of a cow in my dream.)

I don't really think he's telling me I'm about to kick the bucket but do you think he's trying to tell me something else? Has anybody else's cat done this?

We've have lots of kitties and yours sounds like he's going through a stage. From time to time, some of ours will "suck up" and pick Buck or me to love, love, love. Right now our Miss Rodeo chooses to glue herself to me every evening and is everywhere I am when I'm not sitting in the recliner watching TV. In a while (a week, few weeks) she'll leave me alone and another one of the furry children will take her place being my shadow.

I have this very fat, old cat named Jack. He pretty much sleeps all day but never sleeps through dinner! He's a very friendly and interactive cat but he isn't much of a lap cat. (It's kinda hard for him to haul his belly up into someone's lap.)

Anyway, for the past 3 or 4 days, he's been my shadow. Not only that, he's been insisting upon getting in my lap. All the time. I swear, he's following me around so that the minute I sit, he can jump into my lap. And he's got to sleep in bed with me. Normally, he sleeps in a different place every night. Often at the foot of someone's bed. But now, he's got to sleep up under the covers next to me. And he reaches up and touches me all night long. Usually, he only touches me to wake me up if the other cat is accidentally locked in the basement.

At first, I was very worried that he might be sick. I watched him carefully to make sure he's eating and drinking normally. No urinary obstruction. No injuries or abscesses. Nothing. He seems very healthy.

So I'm telling my son about this and he says "Did you read about the cat in the nursing home? He only goes into a resident's room when they are about to die. So how are you feeling, Ma?" Okay, so we laugh a lot and hang up. But I had the weirdest dreams the last 2 nights - one of those chase dreams where the bad guy is pursuing you relentlessly, you know? Only it's Jack who's after me. (Of course, I think he's like the size of a cow in my dream.)

I don't really think he's telling me I'm about to kick the bucket but do you think he's trying to tell me something else? Has anybody else's cat done this?

i don't know about jack but my thomas is like that when i am sick. he seems to know i need comfort.

babe

My cats have always felt it was their job to "keep us warm" when we are sick, too, Babe. But I'm feeling great right now and not unhappy about anything either. Unless he knows something I don't know.:unsure:

He was made a kinder, gentler Jack years ago, Maverick, so he's probably not looking for a girlfriend. He'd be hard pressed to know what to do with one at this point.

I like the idea of Jack as a stalker, redkitty. It's funny because he is so freaking fat but he's a great mouser! You'd never think it to look at him. But I guess he must have pretty good stalking skills for that.

Maybe he is just shaking things up a bit, Katie. I like having him be so affectionate - except in the middle of the night. I'm locking the bedroom door tonight so he'll just have to pester somebody else!

I think it's a stage also. My dog would and lie with me if I was sick, but not these cats. One cat normally sleeps in the hallway. Every once in awhile, she will decide to spend a week sleeping on the bed beside me. Snoring very loudly I might add! There is no rhyme or reason as to when she will decide to sleep there. I just go with the flow. :)

I think it's a stage also. My dog would and lie with me if I was sick, but not these cats. One cat normally sleeps in the hallway. Every once in awhile, she will decide to spend a week sleeping on the bed beside me. Snoring very loudly I might add! There is no rhyme or reason as to when she will decide to sleep there. I just go with the flow. :)
:) One of my cats is the same way he's indifferent for months then one day he's following me every where demanding to be on my lap and so on.

do you think he's trying to tell me something

Uhhhhhhh - yeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaa! He's trying to tell you that you're the "bestest" piece of warm-blooded furniture he's found yet!

I have also noticed my cat being more affectionate - but that's not hard for him to do when all you have to do is look at him and he runs away! It might come with age. My cat almost won't leave me alone (sometimes) and he now lets my husband look at him occasionally without running away and even touch his head :rolleyes:

Uhhhhhhh - yeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaa! He's trying to tell you that you're the "bestest" piece of warm-blooded furniture he's found yet!

I have also noticed my cat being more affectionate - but that's not hard for him to do when all you have to do is look at him and he runs away! It might come with age. My cat almost won't leave me alone (sometimes) and he now lets my husband look at him occasionally without running away and even touch his head :rolleyes:
Well, maybe it's something in the water. My other cat sounds like he's related to yours, though.

My cats change their habits semi-regularly. The weather changed significantly and two of the cats did things out of the ordinary today to match the weather. One, who only purrs about once a year (and I have had him around for 10 and in the house for 7), bounded up to me this morning about 10am wanting to be stroked (only happens when he wants food usually) and he was purring! He wanted permission to stay inside and go to bed! The other one I wasted four or five hours searching for (including the bush) only to discover that not only has he got a new hidey-hole but he was not interested in having a snack all day! Normally this cat comes in for a "lay down" mid-am and sticks to his preferred nooks. He is a big cuddler and often comes looking for me during the day for a cuddle or just to make sure I haven't jumped ship. Hours earlier, I had even put the hose on the bush he was eventually found under (same bush I had relocated a frog to which he didn't know about). Another cat, who is rather partial to keeping an eye on the street and defending the street from other cats, dogs, etc, and so given half a chance will take off to a neighbours (for Neighbourhood Watch purposes!!), stuck around all morning to counter the other's absence. Why do any of them do what they do?!

Before making sure my will was intact, I'd be looking at the habits of the other cats and see if there was a slight change somewhere else in the pecking order.

Bilby, you may be onto something. My other cat is very spooky, like Elf's, and even though I've had him 2 years, he has always been scared of my big sons and never let them touch or pet him. After he snuck out and was under the house for 4 days, he has become much more accepting of the boys, even letting them pet him occasionally. He will also be in the same room with them now. Maybe Jack is jealous or thinks the new guy is challenging his alpha male status.

much like women, f-mom, never try to understand cats.

you'll never get anything but a fickle explanation anyway... :cool:

Back
Top Bottom