"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-29-2016, 06:08 AM   #11
Master Chef
 
Aunt Bea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: near Mount Pilot
Posts: 7,005
Always!

It is incomprehensible to me that they are not required on all school buses!

I remember the flap when seat belts were introduced. People were very vocal about how dangerous they might be or the violation of our personal freedom, etc... It seems to take the passing of a generation before these types of changes become second nature in our society.

Think about some of the other changes.

Smoking on airplanes, in public spaces, in a closed car with children, a hotel room.

Helmets for riding a bike.

Child safety seats.

The flap over power windows in cars. "we'll drown if the car goes into the lake!"

Cell phones and texting while driving.

Smoke detectors.

Back up cameras in cars.

I must admit that it does make me sad when we have to rely on lawmakers and law enforcement officers to protect us and our families from things that should be common sense.
__________________

__________________
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 08:38 AM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,380
I've always worn a seat belt. I even installed the in my first car (1958 Chevrolet). Cars didn't come with seat belts back then.
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 09:07 AM   #13
Executive Chef
 
CraigC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,794
Them dang motorcycles just don't come with seat belts.
__________________
Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus & C. Batesii.
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 09:25 AM   #14
Executive Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 4,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I am watching ER Trauma. A horrific car accident victim came in and he wasn't wearing a seat belt.

I used to swear I would never wear one. I hated being so confined. But since my health plan provides all transportation, the driver will not move the vehicle until every one is belted in. Now I always have one on. In fact I grab the two ends before I even sit down. I even wear one in my daughter's car.

The only type I have trouble with is the kind that not only go across your lap, but also across you chest. A driver had to stop short and slammed on the brakes. I fell forward and ended up with a massive bruise halfway around my neck. I am lucky I wasn't decapitated. I am child size in height. So now I put that part behind me. But I still have the lap strap on. In this state, children of my height, (4'6") if they are seated in the front seat, are required by law to have a booster seat. Sorry I will walk before I go that route.

So do you always wear a seat belt? Keep in mind that most accidents happen within 25 miles of home.
Always, even if I'm only moving the car 50 yards from the stable yard to the stables car park (on private land). I always did even before it became law in the UK in 1983. It seemed like common sense.

£500 (roughly $750) fine if caught not using the seat belt if your vehicle is fitted with them. There are very few exclusions to the law over here, for example classic cars made without seat belts and certain medical conditions certified by a doctor but not including pregnancy.

It worries me when I see films and TV dramas with characters driving cars with seat belts fitted but not in use - the other week there was a cop drama on TV where the police officers were not wearing them in a car chase and in a recent re-run of "Murder She Wrote" the heroine and her friend ignored the seat belts. Very bad example being given there.

I know, I know - "If you want to send a message use Western Union".
__________________
Donít look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 09:31 AM   #15
Executive Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 4,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I am watching ER Trauma. A horrific car accident victim came in and he wasn't wearing a seat belt.

I used to swear I would never wear one. I hated being so confined. But since my health plan provides all transportation, the driver will not move the vehicle until every one is belted in. Now I always have one on. In fact I grab the two ends before I even sit down. I even wear one in my daughter's car.

The only type I have trouble with is the kind that not only go across your lap, but also across you chest. A driver had to stop short and slammed on the brakes. I fell forward and ended up with a massive bruise halfway around my neck. I am lucky I wasn't decapitated. I am child size in height. So now I put that part behind me. But I still have the lap strap on. In this state, children of my height, (4'6") if they are seated in the front seat, are required by law to have a booster seat. Sorry I will walk before I go that route.

So do you always wear a seat belt? Keep in mind that most accidents happen within 25 miles of home.
Addie, in modern cars the fixing point for the breast strap part of the seat belt is adjustable up and down to accommodate the passenger's height. On my car you just press a button and push the mounting up or down - no tools required.
__________________
Donít look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 09:46 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Addie, in modern cars the fixing point for the breast strap part of the seat belt is adjustable up and down to accommodate the passenger's height. On my car you just press a button and push the mounting up or down - no tools required.
Not available here that I am aware of. On the passenger side, the seat belt is secured at the top on the post dividing the front from the back. It is secured right there. So when I reach back to get it, the chest strap comes right across my face. The only car I have been in has been my daughter's and her car is I think about five years old. Any other vehicle I am in is a bus type van.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 09:46 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I've always worn a seat belt. I even installed the in my first car (1958 Chevrolet). Cars didn't come with seat belts back then.
The car of my teen age years.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 09:56 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Always!

It is incomprehensible to me that they are not required on all school buses!

I must admit that it does make me sad when we have to rely on lawmakers and law enforcement officers to protect us and our families from things that should be common sense.
Young children may have a hard time in the event of a crash, undoing the seat belts. They tend to panic more than an adult. Also, they may have difficulty putting it on. Then the driver would have to leave her/his seat and do it for possibly every small child. The driver would have to pull over to the side of the road, shut the motor off and stop the vehicle if a student took theirs off. The end result would be the children would be late for school every day. And then in the event of a crash, if the bus caught fire, it would be up to the driver to make sure every child undid their belt and got off the bus safely. Specially first graders. There is a whole host of plausible reasons why the school buses don't have them.

Having said all this, I am with you on this one. But I do understand the reasons.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 11:46 AM   #19
Master Chef
 
Aunt Bea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: near Mount Pilot
Posts: 7,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Young children may have a hard time in the event of a crash, undoing the seat belts. They tend to panic more than an adult. Also, they may have difficulty putting it on. Then the driver would have to leave her/his seat and do it for possibly every small child. The driver would have to pull over to the side of the road, shut the motor off and stop the vehicle if a student took theirs off. The end result would be the children would be late for school every day. And then in the event of a crash, if the bus caught fire, it would be up to the driver to make sure every child undid their belt and got off the bus safely. Specially first graders. There is a whole host of plausible reasons why the school buses don't have them.

Having said all this, I am with you on this one. But I do understand the reasons.
"Don't pee on my leg and tell me It's raining!" - Judith Sheindlin

Kids have grown up with seat belts and child safety seats since birth. I think the average kindergarten kid would think it strange to get into a vehicle without one. A few simple instructions at the beginning of the school year and a few words about the bigger kids looking out for the smaller ones is about all it should take. I guess we need to agree to disagree on this one!
__________________
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 12:41 PM   #20
Master Chef
 
Cheryl J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California
Posts: 6,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Wearing a seat belt is so automatic to me, sometimes I use it even when I'm only backing the car out of the garage to park it in the driveway.....
I just did that yesterday. I backed the car out onto the driveway so I could sweep the garage floor, and buckled up. Just goes to show how ingrained it is in me to wear it at all times.

Kay, I've looked back on those days too, when we had our babies in the car with us and not secured in a carseat. Scary. My nephew died 32 years ago in a car accident, just going down the street to the mini mart with his mom. He was only 4 months old.
__________________

__________________
Grandchildren fill the space in your heart you never knew was empty.
Cheryl J is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.