"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-29-2016, 12:52 PM   #21
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Park Drive Bar/Grill Los Angeles
Posts: 9,640
The only time I'm not buckled in is when I'm backing out of my driveway.
__________________

__________________
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 02:06 PM   #22
Master Chef
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 8,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Not available here that I am aware of. On the passenger side, the seat belt is secured at the top on the post dividing the front from the back...
It's there, trust me. I know the seat belt strap has been adjustable since Himself's 1997 Taurus and my 1998 Grand Caravan. Maybe even on earlier cars. You still might need an adapter even with the top edge of the chest strap at it's lowest point, but moving it lower should help.
__________________

__________________
... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 02:28 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
"Don't pee on my leg and tell me It's raining!" - Judith Sheindlin

Kids have grown up with seat belts and child safety seats since birth. I think the average kindergarten kid would think it strange to get into a vehicle without one. A few simple instructions at the beginning of the school year and a few words about the bigger kids looking out for the smaller ones is about all it should take. I guess we need to agree to disagree on this one!
I agree with you. But these are the arguments parents get when there is a yelling fuss about seat belts. I personally think it is a money issue. They don't want to have to pay to have every single school bus outfitted with seat belts.

When I had custody of my granddaughter she was four years old and was attending a private school for preschoolers. I would take her down to the van and I was the one who had to make sure she was buckled in properly. I noticed that some of the kids in the van were real tiny. They were sitting in a booster seat that was secured and then they were buckled in. I found out that the parents had to purchase the booster seat. One time there was a different driver and she got out and was going to buckle Annie in. I told her I could do it. She told me that it was part of her job to make sure the child was buckled in properly. It went with the job description. Either way I was just happy that she was buckled in properly.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 03:00 PM   #24
Master Chef
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 9,891
In 1963 I was in a terrible car accident on the highway with my newly wed husband. No car seats in the car (or required) and it's a wonder either of us lived to tell the tale. I still live with some of the effects of my injuries. My memory of that night is as clear today as it was then.
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 07:39 PM   #25
Honey Badger
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I am watching ER Trauma. A horrific car accident victim came in and he wasn't wearing a seat belt.

I used to swear I would never wear one. I hated being so confined. But since my health plan provides all transportation, the driver will not move the vehicle until every one is belted in. Now I always have one on. In fact I grab the two ends before I even sit down. I even wear one in my daughter's car.

The only type I have trouble with is the kind that not only go across your lap, but also across you chest. A driver had to stop short and slammed on the brakes. I fell forward and ended up with a massive bruise halfway around my neck. I am lucky I wasn't decapitated. I am child size in height. So now I put that part behind me. But I still have the lap strap on. In this state, children of my height, (4'6") if they are seated in the front seat, are required by law to have a booster seat. Sorry I will walk before I go that route.

So do you always wear a seat belt? Keep in mind that most accidents happen within 25 miles of home.
Addie stop watching those type of shows.

I've the same problem wearing a seat belt as you do. The problem was solved by two things. Sit on a fat pillow.It will raise you up a bit. I've put a slip cover over it.

In the baby section they do have cushioned Velcro wraps that you can slip around the seat belt and move it up or down.I've bought them for our sons when they were born. So the car seat straps wouldn't leave a mark on them if they fell asleep.
__________________
If your with me that's great. If not. Get out of my way.
Chef Munky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 08:52 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
Addie stop watching those type of shows.

I've the same problem wearing a seat belt as you do. The problem was solved by two things. Sit on a fat pillow.It will raise you up a bit. I've put a slip cover over it.

In the baby section they do have cushioned Velcro wraps that you can slip around the seat belt and move it up or down.I've bought them for our sons when they were born. So the car seat straps wouldn't leave a mark on them if they fell asleep.
I am afraid that the pillow would not work for me. Remember, I am not riding in my own vehicle. I don't drive. I know for a certainty that I would not be allowed to attach any gadget to the straps on the van. And to have to walk around all day at the center carrying a pillow around for four or five hours, is not really an option. Is there a place where I can leave it? Not really. I often leave to go get coffee or sit outside. Toting a big pillow into the coffee shop, well, that doesn't sound like a great idea. With my purse with me, that leaves me with no hands to carry a hot cup of coffee.

My daughter's car is another story. Do I take it off each time I come back home? She drives a Caddy and she is a nut about her car. Can't blame her. She paid cash for it and it still looks like new. So I just do what I have to in order to have at least some restraint when riding in a vehicle.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 08:53 PM   #27
Assistant Cook
 
SherryCarl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 19
We always wear our seatbelt. It is the first thing we do when we get in the car. It is just habit now.
__________________
SherryCarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 09:12 PM   #28
Head Chef
 
RPCookin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Logan County, Colorado
Posts: 2,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I am watching ER Trauma. A horrific car accident victim came in and he wasn't wearing a seat belt.

I used to swear I would never wear one. I hated being so confined. But since my health plan provides all transportation, the driver will not move the vehicle until every one is belted in. Now I always have one on. In fact I grab the two ends before I even sit down. I even wear one in my daughter's car.

The only type I have trouble with is the kind that not only go across your lap, but also across you chest. A driver had to stop short and slammed on the brakes. I fell forward and ended up with a massive bruise halfway around my neck. I am lucky I wasn't decapitated. I am child size in height. So now I put that part behind me. But I still have the lap strap on. In this state, children of my height, (4'6") if they are seated in the front seat, are required by law to have a booster seat. Sorry I will walk before I go that route.

So do you always wear a seat belt? Keep in mind that most accidents happen within 25 miles of home.
Yes... yes.... and yes again!!!. I wrecked my '63 Chevy back in 1969 at more than 100 mph (I was stupidly road racing a Mustang), and my girlfriend and I walked away without a scratch, only because we were wearing seat belts (just the lap belt, no shoulder harness then). That was before they were mandatory equipment, but thank God my car had them. Since then, I don't back out of the garage without my belt fastened.
__________________
Rick
RPCookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 09:55 PM   #29
Head Chef
 
RPCookin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Logan County, Colorado
Posts: 2,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Young children may have a hard time in the event of a crash, undoing the seat belts. They tend to panic more than an adult. Also, they may have difficulty putting it on. Then the driver would have to leave her/his seat and do it for possibly every small child. The driver would have to pull over to the side of the road, shut the motor off and stop the vehicle if a student took theirs off. The end result would be the children would be late for school every day. And then in the event of a crash, if the bus caught fire, it would be up to the driver to make sure every child undid their belt and got off the bus safely. Specially first graders. There is a whole host of plausible reasons why the school buses don't have them.

Having said all this, I am with you on this one. But I do understand the reasons.
Fire is rare in a typical crash. Impact trauma is the usual cause of injuries and death. Seat belts minimize the danger. Therefore they should be mandatory on school buses, or in fact on other forms of public transportation.
__________________
Rick
RPCookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 11:28 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I am afraid that the pillow would not work for me. Remember, I am not riding in my own vehicle. I don't drive. I know for a certainty that I would not be allowed to attach any gadget to the straps on the van. And to have to walk around all day at the center carrying a pillow around for four or five hours, is not really an option. Is there a place where I can leave it? Not really. I often leave to go get coffee or sit outside. Toting a big pillow into the coffee shop, well, that doesn't sound like a great idea. With my purse with me, that leaves me with no hands to carry a hot cup of coffee.
Have you heard about backpacks? They're these amazing inventions that allow you to carry a bunch of stuff around with you all the time. So cool
__________________

__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.