"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-14-2008, 01:54 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

I do not bag my own groceries. They provide that service for me, and 99% of the time I am satisfied with the job they do. That's one reason they get my business and not the guy down the street!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 01:56 PM   #22
Head Chef

Here in Mexico, the people who bag your groceries are either elderly people or teens. They work for tips ONLY, so I always let them bag our groceries and then tip them generously.

Old 02-14-2008, 02:17 PM   #23
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicoKaren View Post
Here in Mexico, the people who bag your groceries are either elderly people or teens. They work for tips ONLY, so I always let them bag our groceries and then tip them generously.
I'm so happy to hear that Karen!!
Old 02-14-2008, 02:29 PM   #24
Head Chef

Muchas gracias, redkitty!
Old 02-14-2008, 03:34 PM   #25
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
If that is true then shame on you!!!!
I guess I need to hang my head in shame then
Old 02-14-2008, 03:39 PM   #26
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue View Post
Positively NOT! I guess this thread is because something I mentioned in another thread....so...

I love shopping for food. I spend all day cooking and shopping, so it's even more enjoyable when the actual purchases are for me (as opposed to work). I prefer to shop in small markekts that specialize, like produce, fish or the butcher, but I will do a fair amount of shopping in the local supermarket, as well. I usually spend between $125 and $175 every week there. After spending that kind of money, I refuse to have to pack it up, as well.

Unfortunately, in my area, shop managers have since eliminated the 'bag-boy' service. In the past 15 years or so, managers actually expect the customer to pack their own purchases. They eliminated a service, give you nothing in return (ahem, they save by not having to pay the salary...) and put the bags at the outside of the line to encourage you to pack it, yourself. What a racket. Cashiers will actually wait till all my groceries are shoved down at the end of the belt before 'getting it' that I'm not going to do their job. I've even had a few hand me empty bags so I'd get to work. One even said 'you're not going to bag?" When I replied I was not, she rolled her eyes at me, and said "well, it would be helpful". The fact that she added the helpful comment forced me to ask her what time she was planning to show up in my kitchen at work the next day to help me with my job.

I bring my own cloth bags to the supermarket and any other place I shop. I'm not interested in the 2 cents (most cashiers conviently forget that part, anyway), but I am interested in the environment. I don't even put produce in plactic bags. I buy paper lunch bags for that.

When I put my items on the belt, I always hand the cloth bags to the cashier, asking her to pack the items in the bags. Some get it, right away, and others push them to the back with the my items.

Either way, I won't pack. It's not my job. If I don't like they way they do pack, I'll tell them to change it. It's not that I'm trying to be difficult, because demanding or expecting good customer service shouldn't make one 'diffficult'.
For me it boils down to simple economics:
If I go to Jewel and buy everything on my list for a weeks worth of groceries I drop $300 and they bag it for me.

If I go to Food4Less or ALDI and buy everything on my list for a weeks worth of groceries I drop $175 and I bag it.

The bagging services is not worth $125 for less than 10 minutes worth of work, money is too short around here for that.

If I was giving my choice without it costing me $125 for the privilege, I would prefer to have them bag it, and yes I will also correct them if I don't like the way they bag it. I pay too much money to have my bread squashed and produce bruised or crushed.
It should be a matter of good customer service, unfortunately around here it is not.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:41 PM   #27
Master Chef

I forgot to add one thing. The Jewel around here often employees handicapped, elderly, and students to do bagging as well as car loading. However, you are not allowed to tip them and they can get fired if they accept tips.
Bummer in my opinion.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:42 PM   #28
Cook

I always use self checkout so I always bag myself. If I do go through the line if there is a bagger I let them bag, if not I bag. Either way no big deal, I guess I'm just not that uptight.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:49 AM   #29
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to mikki
I self check out and bag myself. At local grocery store DD usually starts bagging before the cashier has a chance, she's usually bared and ready to go home. LOL
Old 02-15-2008, 10:54 AM   #30
Certified Pretend Chef

I avoid self-checkout. The setups our stores have are prone to too many problems and you end up waiting for a live person to come and fix the problem so you can continue. I find this more frustrating than standing in line.