"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-15-2013, 06:48 PM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
It is up in New York also. The thing I can't understand is the income tax credit.
My understanding is that the "tax credit" is actually the balance the gov pays directly to your insurance provider. You only pay your adjusted share, the gov pays the rest, and does not involve your tax return.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:52 PM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
My understanding is that the "tax credit" is actually the balance the gov pays directly to your insurance provider. You only pay your adjusted share, the gov pays the rest, and does not involve your tax return.

Things are looking up!

Old 08-16-2013, 12:42 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

My congressman, Rep. Bobby Scott, is holding a series of information sessions about Obamacare. They're being recorded and available for viewing on C-Span. I haven't watched it yet, but I intend to. Here's a link, if anyone is interested: Representative Bobby Scott Town Hall Meeting, Aug 12, 2013
Old 08-16-2013, 12:53 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:

That's not how I understand the tax credit. You can get it in advance to help pay your premium. I dont think it's paid by the govt to the health insurer (but I'm not sure) but it does involve your tax return. There are other subsidies available to lower out of pocket costs.

"The ACA provides two forms of subsidies to help pay for health insurance. First, a monthly premium assistance tax credit will lower the premium amount an individual or family must pay. Second, cost-sharing assistance will limit a person's maximum out-of-pocket costs, and for some it will also reduce other cost-sharing requirements (i.e., deductibles, coinsurance, co-payments)."

Health Insurance 101

This is from healthcare.gov which explains things very well.

https://www.healthcare.gov/glossary/...um-tax-credit/

"The Affordable Care Act provides a new tax credit to help you afford health coverage purchased through the Marketplace. Advance payments of the tax credit can be used right away to lower your monthly premium costs. If you qualify, you may choose how much advance credit payments to apply to your premiums each month, up to a maximum amount. If the amount of advance credit payments you get for the year is less than the tax credit you're due, you'll get the difference as a refundable credit when you file your federal income tax return. If your advance payments for the year are more than the amount of your credit, you must repay the excess advance payments with your tax return. Also called premium tax credit."
Old 08-16-2013, 01:17 PM   #15
Master Chef

And as far as funding the ACA my thinking is they're hoping the younger, healthier population's contribution into the system will generate enough funds to pay for all this. The healthier population, while pumping money into the ACA, is less likely to use the health facilities.
But on the other hand, how many 21 year olds can afford to pay $100/month for health care? I think health care is the least of their concerns. I believe this is part of the reason why participation is mandatory.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:32 PM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
And as far as funding the ACA my thinking is they're hoping the younger, healthier population's contribution into the system will generate enough funds to pay for all this. The healthier population, while pumping money into the ACA, is less likely to use the health facilities.
But on the other hand, how many 21 year olds can afford to pay $100/month for health care? I think health care is the least of their concerns. I believe this is part of the reason why participation is mandatory.

You are 100% correct.

Tags
health