Do you cook with an apron?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yes I do , the fold over 4 square waist wrap type. I hate the around the neck type.

always wear a side towel too. In fact having a pile of side towels handy and a bin of spoons for tasting or whatever, is a great convenience for the kitchen.

I always wear an apron at work....that way, when I walk the floor during service I look presentable.

At home, rarely...unless I plan to be cooking for hours and then I will put one on.

I love aprons. When we first got married I wore one all the time when I was preparing meals, but back then we wore housedresses everyday and you wanted to keep your dress clean. Now that I wear sweatshirts and jeans most of the time, I don't wear them anymore.:-p

My mom still has a few of the ladies tie-around-the-waist aprons and I remember she used to on occasion tie them up around the bosom area, just under her arms, instead of around her waist when she was cooking particularly messy stuff. She's really tiny, so that lap apron was plenty long enough even tied up that high. Creative use of the apron. Can you even find those old-fashioned aprons any more?

BC

I only use an apron when it involves flour, otherwise I just tuck a dish towel/tea cloth into my pocket.

Andy M. said:
I'm SUPPOSED to wear an apron. S.O. even bought me a New England Patriots apron so there would some chance I actually WOULD wear an apron.

She's always complaining when it's laundry time about the food stains on my clothing from cooking without one. I usually forget, creating more stains.

Me too.:LOL: I have so many stained shirts from things like popping grease. I really need to get some new shirts. The worst part is that I don't even have enough sense to change into something that isn't a shirt I need for my work, and have to wear with a tie! I just get home from work and immediately start cooking supper.

When I'm intelligent, I wear an apron. When I'm being dumb, I don't.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I wear mostly T-shirts around the house, so I don't usually bother with an apron unless I'm doing something messy, like stemming strawberries. My husband does the laundry, and he's very good at getting out stains.
The one I do use is a bib-type that ties behind the neck and at the waist. It was a souvenier from a botanical garden, screen-printed with flowers... a bit pricey, but I've certainly gotten a lot of use out of it. I also have some white ones just like it, that I got in the craft department at Walmart some years ago.

Katie, I sure wish I had some of the old bib-type that you're talking about. They're wonderful. I do have some fancy aprons of my mom's and grandma in the cedar chest, but I'm saving them.

By the way, you can find any kind of apron you want on eBay. The vintage ones are very cool. Also, if you go to the Food Network website, you can buy an apron like Sara Moulton wears...at least I think you still can. I haven't checked lately. They are very nice, because they're fitted to a woman's shape.

Last edited:
I never wear one at home. I usually wear my shop clothes, so somebody else can do the laundry--I wipe my hands on side towels, but the clothing gets its share. At the restaurant, I always wore the bib type over the chef's coat or left the chef's coat on the hook if it was particularly hot (often). If I had to go out front, the chef's jacket was clean.

Those are some pretty nice apron!

I wear an apron when I am going to be cooking alot (ie holidays) or if I am making something messy. I have serveral to choose from, I like aprons.

Never an apron at home, but always in a 'working' kitchen. I keep a stack of towels handy that's about 3' high though, and am not shy in going through them. Don't mind getting my clothes dirtier, but am pretty particular about my work surfaces.

Commercial aprons, pretty tightly woven, are great for covering rising dough.

Lynan said:
You must be a dab hand at laundry by now then??!:)

I wear an apron in my commercial kitchen always, at home never. Now I need to think about that! :rolleyes:
Actually there are only BBQ aprons at home for hubster when he is outdoors tending the grill. Those ghastly plasticy type ones with ridiculous designs on them.:) Men never seem to have a problem wearing those kind of pinnies...lololol

I don't have to do it that often.
My parents just ask if I want it done, so I just say Yes. :P

I try and try and try to get in the habit of wearing an apron. I'm getting better. My favorite ties around the neck and loosely (and I do mean LOOSE) around the waist. I hate things binding around my waist when I need to move. On front it says: Army Wife: Toughest Job in the Army. I'm always complaining about the hits my clothes take when I'm cooking. Hubby always pointedly looks at the collection of aprons sitting there ...... Maybe I'll learn. Blackwell, I keep a huge stack of clean towels at hand at all times, and I'm just a home cook. I like to have a clean one at all times.

Last edited:
I cook with an apron and at home I eat with an apron. At my age it pays to.

I never wear an apron. I can't stand the way it feels. I don't wear special clothes when I'm cooking - usually jeans and a sweatshirt this time of the year.

Andy M. said:
I'm SUPPOSED to wear an apron. S.O. even bought me a New England Patriots apron so there would some chance I actually WOULD wear an apron. .

Well, I am not sure if that was a good idea... if I were you, I wouldn't want to wear it for cooking to get it all messed up... I would prefer simply strutting my stuff in it!!:LOL:

Andy M. said:
She's always complaining when it's laundry time about the food stains on my clothing from cooking without one. I usually forget, creating more stains.

Yes I tend to simply forget to wear them most of the time, too. I just wander into the kitchen and get right into the action. I try to wear it when I do something messy though. Also when I eat a messy platter of spaghetti or bucatini with splashy sauce, AND I am wearing something white or something very light in colour... then apron is an absolute must!!

Back
Top Bottom