"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 11-30-2006, 04:29 PM   #21
Executive Chef
yes I do , the fold over 4 square waist wrap type. I hate the around the neck type.

always wear a side towel too. In fact having a pile of side towels handy and a bin of spoons for tasting or whatever, is a great convenience for the kitchen.

Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 04:44 PM   #22
Executive Chef
I always wear an apron at work....that way, when I walk the floor during service I look presentable.

At home, rarely...unless I plan to be cooking for hours and then I will put one on.

How can we sleep while our beds are burning???
VeraBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 05:40 PM   #23
Master Chef
I love aprons. When we first got married I wore one all the time when I was preparing meals, but back then we wore housedresses everyday and you wanted to keep your dress clean. Now that I wear sweatshirts and jeans most of the time, I don't wear them anymore.
Don't let yesterday take up too much of today. Will
JoAnn L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 05:46 PM   #24
Sous Chef
My mom still has a few of the ladies tie-around-the-waist aprons and I remember she used to on occasion tie them up around the bosom area, just under her arms, instead of around her waist when she was cooking particularly messy stuff. She's really tiny, so that lap apron was plenty long enough even tied up that high. Creative use of the apron. Can you even find those old-fashioned aprons any more?

BlueCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 05:52 PM   #25
Executive Chef
I only use an apron when it involves flour, otherwise I just tuck a dish towel/tea cloth into my pocket.
amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 05:58 PM   #26
Master Chef
Originally Posted by Andy M.
I'm SUPPOSED to wear an apron. S.O. even bought me a New England Patriots apron so there would some chance I actually WOULD wear an apron.

She's always complaining when it's laundry time about the food stains on my clothing from cooking without one. I usually forget, creating more stains.
Me too. I have so many stained shirts from things like popping grease. I really need to get some new shirts. The worst part is that I don't even have enough sense to change into something that isn't a shirt I need for my work, and have to wear with a tie! I just get home from work and immediately start cooking supper.

When I'm intelligent, I wear an apron. When I'm being dumb, I don't.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 06:17 PM   #27
Executive Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Nope. You should see my stained t-shirts. Hee hee
If you have much, give of your wealth. If you have little, give of your heart. - Arab proverb
Dina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 06:47 PM   #28
Sous Chef
and tie around your waste that way

In the kitchen?
suzyQ3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 07:03 PM   #29
Master Chef
I wear mostly T-shirts around the house, so I don't usually bother with an apron unless I'm doing something messy, like stemming strawberries. My husband does the laundry, and he's very good at getting out stains.
The one I do use is a bib-type that ties behind the neck and at the waist. It was a souvenier from a botanical garden, screen-printed with flowers... a bit pricey, but I've certainly gotten a lot of use out of it. I also have some white ones just like it, that I got in the craft department at Walmart some years ago.

Katie, I sure wish I had some of the old bib-type that you're talking about. They're wonderful. I do have some fancy aprons of my mom's and grandma in the cedar chest, but I'm saving them.

By the way, you can find any kind of apron you want on eBay. The vintage ones are very cool. Also, if you go to the Food Network website, you can buy an apron like Sara Moulton wears...at least I think you still can. I haven't checked lately. They are very nice, because they're fitted to a woman's shape.
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 07:25 PM   #30
Head Chef
I never wear one at home. I usually wear my shop clothes, so somebody else can do the laundry--I wipe my hands on side towels, but the clothing gets its share. At the restaurant, I always wore the bib type over the chef's coat or left the chef's coat on the hook if it was particularly hot (often). If I had to go out front, the chef's jacket was clean.

"To be broke is not a disgrace, it is only a catastrophe." -- Nero Wolfe/Rex Stout
bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote