Do you cook with an apron?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr_Dove

Senior Cook
I like to cook with an apron for some reason. However, my only apron does not have an adjustable neck strap so it ends up being pretty uncomfortable to wear.

Why wear an apron? Is the purpose just to keep your clothes cleaner?

:LOL: Of course I cook with an apron, who do you think I am, Rachel Ray? :LOL:

I like to cook with an apron; I think I have 7 or 8 of them. The bigger the better. I have terrible habit of wiping hands on my self, so apron is a must.

I wear an apron when I'm doing messy cooking and pretty much 2/3 of the time in general. The purpose is yes, to keep your clothes clean, it has a place to hold a couple spoons for tasting if you are cooking professionally, it also has a place for an instant-read thermometer, and I slide my towel around the string in the front. I don't know of aprons that do have an adjustable neck strap - just fold up the area where the strings are attached wrap around the back to the front and tie around your waste that way.

In a professional kitchen it keeps one's jacket cleaner in case you are called tableside.

I'm SUPPOSED to wear an apron. S.O. even bought me a New England Patriots apron so there would some chance I actually WOULD wear an apron.

She's always complaining when it's laundry time about the food stains on my clothing from cooking without one. I usually forget, creating more stains.

Reanie525i said:
I never use an apron - TIDE is very gratefull for all the wash I must do!!!!

I'll clean as I go and Tilex isn't good for black clothing :blush: - an apron will catch it first, then I'll realize what I did, then I'll change to another apron - you'd think I'd start wearing white. And I'm short - so there's always a Clorox, Tilex, line on my blouses/shirts. :(

I have never bought an apron. So I hardly wear it. Those given by food establishments and from some friends as gifts only end up in my collection.

I don't cook with an apron. I used to at work, but the aprons that went around my neck didn't come anymore. They had new ones they you had to tie around your waist, so I haven't used an apron for about two years.
Not even in my cooking class. :P I always lost marks for it, but meh, I got a 96% anyways :D

Sometimes I wear an apron. Usually for very messy cooking. The apron I use is from a '30s pattern. It's the kind that has a nice wide "bib" in the front to keep my top clean. Never understood the kind that just ties at the waist. When food splashes, it's not selective. It splashes "up," too. It's the same kind of apron my grandmother wore and it covers nicely. I've made several for friends who love them. 'Cause the actually cover you up.

I just wear my normal work shirt and get it dirty.
It washes very easily though.
So I can get it nice and messy. :D

goboenomo said:
I just wear my normal work shirt and get it dirty.
It washes very easily though.
So I can get it nice and messy. :D

You must be a dab hand at laundry by now then??!:)

I wear an apron in my commercial kitchen always, at home never. Now I need to think about that! :rolleyes:
Actually there are only BBQ aprons at home for hubster when he is outdoors tending the grill. Those ghastly plasticy type ones with ridiculous designs on them.:) Men never seem to have a problem wearing those kind of pinnies...lololol

I haven't worn an apron for a long time. I've the bad habit of using a 'tea towel' that I flip over my shoulder though.

Slob

I must be real slob. All the grease spots I get on my sweats. I always figured well come out w/the wash. Oh, no! Have to spot treat them otherwise wind up w/next day's grease. I told the family I want aprons for Christmas. Bet they have hard time finding them. People just don't use them anymore. Place that has cooking utensils offers them for $17 and they are washable, adjustable, and are made of cotton in the USA! But that is kind of high for something that will have to take all the abuse I give it. Let's see if I get my Christmas wish! Thought Wal Mart would have them when I checked nothing.

I still wear my mom's aprons but getting awfully thin. Sad.

I've always considered myself a pretty messy cook, but I rarely wear an apron. Never at home, because I dont own one, and only sometimes at work, like if we're doing alot of work with chocolate, or if the fryer grease needs to be changed.

I don't get anything on me while cooking at home, and not too much at work, though I keep a lot of towels handy, usually hanging from my belt to wipe my hands on when needed. I also keep one dry towel for picking up very hot pans with, and one more towel to wipe my knife on after I dip it in the sanitizer bucket.

It depends on what I'm cooking and what I'm wearing. If it spatters and stains, I'll usually wear an apron. If I'm wearing nicer clothes (if company is over, etc.), I'll always wear one so I don't get too dirty.

Paul

Back
Top Bottom