Do you decorate your house for Halloween?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Andy M. said:
My daughter and SIL bring our grandson here for Trick or Treating. That's a kick because we get to go around and see what everyone else has done (and grab some candy). Here he is in last year's costume.

Now, that is cute!

when my kids were growing up, my husband really got into it. we had a pumpkin outside that had a speaker in it. my husband would make scary noises. he would ask the younger ones if they liked pumpkin , mostly they would answer yes. then he would say you are eating my friends. always gave the kids pause. he was easy with the younger ones. sometimes he would dress as a hunchback and come around garage dragging his foot on the cement. scared the s888 out of the pre teens. i really miss all that fun. my husband is no longer with us. sad to say!

babetoo said:
when my kids were growing up, my husband really got into it. we had a pumpkin outside that had a speaker in it. my husband would make scary noises. he would ask the younger ones if they liked pumpkin , mostly they would answer yes. then he would say you are eating my friends. always gave the kids pause. he was easy with the younger ones. sometimes he would dress as a hunchback and come around garage dragging his foot on the cement. scared the s888 out of the pre teens. i really miss all that fun. my husband is no longer with us. sad to say!

I love it, Babe! What a great guy!

My grandpa would put together small decorated bags containing little onions, garlic, and Limburger cheese, and hand them out. Grandma would try to beat him to the door with her wonderful popcorn balls and candy apples.

We have one of the more decorated houses every year in our neighborhood.We gave away 25lbs of candy last year. I'll post some pics when I am done.

Here are a couple of pics from last year. This year is even bigger. The Jack Skellington prop is one I am making as well as a big scarecrow.

I also took 2 of my props that didn't have torsos and mounted them to oscillating fans so they are now animated.I zip tied aves to their hands so the swing them.

Attachments

• IMG_0411.jpg
    IMG_0411.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_0412.jpg
    IMG_0412.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_1124.jpg
    IMG_1124.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_4290.jpg
    IMG_4290.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 146
I'm a party pooper. I don't do Halloween or Thanksgiving. I barely do Christmas. I used to do Christmas, but I got tired of packing everything away. So now Christmas is a few ornaments, the Spode XMas dishes, and that's it. I think if one has kids, one is more into it, but when it is just two people, well, it is a lot of work for what?

CWS4322 said:
I'm a party pooper. I don't do Halloween or Thanksgiving. I barely do Christmas. I used to do Christmas, but I got tired of packing everything away. So now Christmas is a few ornaments, the Spode XMas dishes, and that's it. I think if one has kids, one is more into it, but when it is just two people, well, it is a lot of work for what?

You make a great point. When the kids were little we decorated on Oct.1st. Now I don't really decorate any more for Halloween. If my grand kids lived closer I think I would decorate still. We live where we don't get trick or rewarded any more either, so I just have a welcome pumpkin. That's it!

CWS4322 said:

I have a feeling that you have lots of other things occupying your time, CWS!

4Me, you have impeccable taste.

The three houses we have are rural, and in the years we've owned them, it hasn't mattered in which we were in residence, we've never had trick or treaters, so what would be the point? I have enough stuff, I don't need H'ween decorations as well.

CWS4322 said:
The three houses we have are rural, and in the years we've owned them, it hasn't mattered in which we were in residence, we've never had trick or treaters, so what would be the point? I have enough stuff, I don't need H'ween decorations as well.

I totally get it. We are semi rural and don't have a lot of kids around here anymore. Being a big kid myself when it comes to Halloween, I almost wish we had more kids in the 'hood.

Last edited:
We don't get trick or treaters at home, but there are three local schools that come through the facility so the residents can hand out candy. It is great fun for everyone and I always volunteer to run candy for the residents.

When I was in MN, my dad went to the base in Grand Forks. He brought back a couple of bags of "snack" size Snickers and Mint 3-Muskateer bars for H'ween. I kept finding the candy bars under the sink--my "squirrel" mom puts the weirdest things under the sink. And, they don't have any trick or treaters who come by.

When I was a kid, my mom would give away OUR hard earned candy to later trick or treaters as we lived on a busy street and she would run out of candy. She also squirreled away the chocolate.

We always put the peanut butter cups on the bottom of the bowl:ROFLMAO:

When I was very young we lived out in the sticks and we only went to three or four houses for trick or treat. I always will remember one elderly farm couple we went to every year. The dining room table was covered with homemade doughnuts and cider, popcorn balls, polished apples, cookies and homemade candies. We always left with full stomachs and full sacks. Today if you did it the parents would throw out the food and call in a police SWAT team to haul you in for questioning. Different times.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom