"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 10-05-2009, 07:59 PM   #1
Master Chef
Do you ever help folks at grocery stores?

This happened to me twice this week, but has happened many times in my life. Today I bought 3 heads of Napa cabbage to make kimchee (by popular request of my friends). The checkout clerk asked me what kind of lettuce it was. I told her it was Napa cabbage, and she dealt with it, but asked me what I was making that I needed three heads. I explained (of course I wound up trying to explain what kimchee is). But earlier this week, the store had avocados that weren't the normal haas that most are used to seeing here. I ran into a friend who asked me to help her select one, then the checkout gal didn't recognize it as an avocado, so I explained and she said she'd never tasted one. I had all I could do to not hold up the entire line at the store, go buy a haas (the others weren't ripe enough), cut it open, and feed her a bite! In the past few decades I've stopped my shopping to explain to people foods that confused them. Have any of you done this?

Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:05 PM   #2
Head Chef
yep. as well as telling folks where to find things in the store.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:09 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
I"ve shopped at the same store for years. I love it as they keep up with things i read and hear about. If they don't have something they will get it for you. Both the fellow in the produce and the meat and cheese dept.s will ask me every time I shop, what are you making with this or that..Sat. I bought a new cheese and the check out girl took my phone # and then called me today to ask about the cheese. I get the biggest kick out of this..I enjoy talking recipes and food so I don't mind,but let me tell you get someone in the line that's in a hurry and has only a TV dinner in hand..They tend to get just a tad snarky
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:14 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
have shopped on line for three years. when i did shop in store, had people ask questions a lot. and on occasion i am the one asking.
"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:49 PM   #5
Head Chef
I don't do a lot of question answering, but I do act as a virtual Reach and Grab
for short people.
Since I'm tall, I watch for people having a problem reaching or lifting something and
will generally help them.

GrillingFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:19 AM   #6
Master Chef
I've been known to hand out advice to people, even if I haven't been asked. I enjoy helping people, especially in the meat and produce departments when they obviously don't know what they are buying. Good food should be available to everyone. And people who have less experience in picking out good melons, or good meat, or who don't know how to tell when fruit is ripe, well, if I can make their lives better by educating them a little, that makes me glad. I do odd looks from some people though.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:07 AM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef
I help when the opportunity presents itself. As Goodweed said, often at the meat counter where lots of folks are at a loss.

I, too am tall so do the reaching for the vertically challenged.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:44 AM   #8
Executive Chef
Yes I offer advice when requested and sometimes when someone just looks confused. I have even gone up to people and told them where they can get something cheaper.

The cat food aisle is often where I strike up conversations. We cat owners are a chatty breed!!
Too many restaurants, not enough time...
Bilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 06:29 AM   #9
Master Chef
I, too, am tall and often walk up behind someone who is short or wheelchair-bound and get food off high shelves. I've lived here for 8 years and when Piggly-Wiggly bought out the only grocery store in town they tried me sorely. They keep moving stuff around. I know what they're doing and why they're doing it, which makes it all the more aggravating (they are making it so that you cannot walk in, walk up to something you want, and buy it, you have to wander the entire store to find what you need (and hopefully will walk out with lots of stuff you didn't intend on buying). This week I had to backtrack to the produce department to find the feta cheese (stupid me, looking for it in the dairy section), and while looking for the cheese, I found that they'd moved all of the organic bagged lettuce to the dairy aisle instead of having it in the produce aisle or in the one refridgerator where they keep organic dairy items. So in my store we're always looking at each other with dazed, puzzled expressions and asking each other, "Have you seen the ..... this week?"
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:59 AM   #10
Master Chef
I have been asked for help a few times when I was shopping. One lady asked me what bread was good for Reuben sandwiches. We were in the bread aisle. Do I look like I know things? lol I don't mind helping out.

LadyCook61 is offline   Reply With Quote