Do You Ever Try Recipes On The Packages?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kimbaby

Executive Chef
OR boxes "back of the box recipes"
I find allot of really great recipes there and was wondering if any one else
did this, not sure if we can post the recipe. but maybe the name of your fave.(s) ones...
my favorrite has to be the chicken and rice bake by campbells and yours? if you don't mind sharing with us?

You mean like; bring three cups of water to a boil, empty contents of package..... No wait, those are the instructions :LOL:

I think I've tried that chicken one. I tried something with chicken and rice that was pretty good, but I thought it was done on the stovetop.
I used to make lasagna following the instructions on the noodle box letter for letter. Turned out pretty good, but I didn't think they had it on the box anymore last time I looked.

very rarely. if the recipe looks decent i usually get a rough idea and go search in google for the best. anal i know :mrgreen:

been on an anal streak lately and usually have 5 or more recipes of the same thing for comparison purposes before i actually decide which one to use.

Sure. That's how I learned how to make a good whipped sweet potato bake. It's a staple on our family's table all year 'round.

I personally do not, but my wife makes chocolate chips cookies from the pacage, and from what I understand these are the best cookies. People absolutelly love them.

Frequently I have found that some of my best recipes do come from the package, can, etc. For example, the Hershey's Cocoa chocolate cake and icing recipe, the sandwich bread recipe from the back of King Arthur's Flour, the buttermilk bisquit and pancake recipe from the back of Saco's cultured buttermilk blend for cooking and baking, and a wonderful Clam Linquini recipe from the back of a pasta package (can't remember which brand but I cut it out and taped it to the back of an Italian cookbook it was so good). All of these I have either clipped out or written down and have used over the last 25 years or so. And yes, Charlie D., the chocolate chip cookie recipe from the packages are excellent, too!

I'm like Constance... I read them, get ideas, maybe once in a blue moon try one. One recipe I really liked was on back of a Kraft Parmesan Cheese package for a ceasar salad, I still love that one!!

Sometimes I try them. More often than not I forget they are there! I like the dumpling variations on the back of suet packets.:)

My mother made this "upside down chocolate cake" where the runny part started out on the top and the cake part on bottom. After it cooked it flipped. Well, I never got this recipe before she passed away and I was QUITE sad as it was a highlight dessert during my childhood. I was sitting one day holding a container of Hershey's Cocoa Powder thinking about this dessert. I looked down and there was the recipe - ON THE BOX!!!!!!!!!!! I was so excited! I don't think the recipe is there anymore though. Other than that I don't recall ever even looking. HOWEVER, there is a good chance I've looked for recipes and found several I like that came straight from a can of "cream of whatever soup". :LOL:

I know that I posted this on DC somewhere, maybe under my favorite cookbooks. But anyway I will tell you this again. There is one big fabulous cookbook called "Brand Name Recipes." It is very popular and there are now many volumns of this cookbook. If you cannot find it on the retail bookshelves, you probably will find it at the library.
I took my Brand Name Recipe Cookbook and my drawer full of package recipe clippings and matched up most of them. I was able to toss a lot of the clippings and found that I had more than one clipping of the same recipe. I had recipe clippings in my weekly menu planner, attached to grocery list, etc. Nowadays, I check the Brand Name Recipe Cookbooks before I clip. Most likely it is in there unless it is a new processed product.
The recipes that may not be in this cookbook are the ones in the companies cookbooks like Campbell's Soup. I got this cookbook free for buying a few cans of soup and the cookbook was at the store available at the time of purchase. I received Jello Cookbooks and cookie cutters this same way. Using these types of cookbooks is a great way to save money and there are usually good coupons in the books too.

it`s rare I do that, when I buy a product I generaly have something specific in mind and stick to that, However, on packets of dried active yeast they often give some neat bread type ideas on the box, I`ve made a few of them also, cheese buns are my best fave so far :)

oh sure.
I can't remember many to share but one does come to mind.
Years and years ago, when all seemed agog over the quiche craze, I found, made and adored, the bacon and tomato recipe off the Rye Krisp box using the Rye Krisp as the crust. It was spectacular but then, you'd have to be fond of blt's and Rye Krisp to think so.:LOL:

I forgot to mention above that I use several recipes from the Bisquick box...pancakes, drop biscuits, shortcakes, cobbler and coffee cake.

I've tried some. I like the chicken bake recipe too. I think my favorite is using the box cake mix and turning it into a bundt cake by adding instant pudding mix. I think it's on the side of the Yellow cake mix by Dunkin Hines. The devil's food chocolate one is good too!
Also like Bisquick recipes. (Easy and good)

When I first started cooking, I tried the recipes on the botb for lasagana/shells/manicotti - can't recall which brand (Ronzoni?) ... they were basic good starters that I used for years. I still have a few saved like crab lasagna or fettuccine that I never got around to. Chicken and Stuffing bake was another favorite.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom