"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 11-10-2008, 09:38 AM   #11
Sous Chef
I would love too! I can't really find a good place to hang a bird feeder though. Can you just hang one from a vinyl fence?

B'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 09:40 AM   #12
Sous Chef
I bake bread twice a week or so. Last times bread is kept around because of uses for stale bread.

The time before bread is thrown out back for birds, squirrels and chipmunks, and whatever else finds it.

Nothing special, no feeders or apparatus.

Wart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 09:41 AM   #13
Head Chef
B'sgirl, you can find feeders for any location. I have a couple that stick on the window itself, one hung from under the eaves, and a couple on a "shepherd's crook", a long iron pole with a couple of hooks at the top.

According to the Audubon society, it is not true that the birds will starve if you stop feeding them--they treat your feeders like any other food source. If they pick all the seeds off of the grass in the field, or all the apples off the crabapple tree, they move on to another field or another tree. Or another feeder.

I have heard folks say that they won't put out feeders because they can't remember to fill them all the time. You will have more birds if you keep them filled, because they will make your feeders a regular stop, but it won't hurt the birds to have an unexpected windfall once in while, if your feeders are full sometimes and empty sometimes.

I keep my feeders full from October til May, just cause I like to watch the birdies.
I just haven't been the same
since that house fell on my sister.
sparrowgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 10:02 AM   #14
Master Chef
We feed the birds in the winter. I have a supposedly squirrel proof feeder from Gardeners' Supply, but the squirrels learned how to loosen up the hanging wires so the feed would pour on the ground. DH wired them together, which helped, but occasionally one of the bigger squirrels will hang from that wire by his hind feet so he can reach the seeds.
I have found that if I put food out for them separately, it does help keep them satisfied. They love cornbread.

We don't feed the birds in the summer, as we live in the country, and there is plenty for them to eat around here then.
I get tickled at the downy woodpeckers during mating season, as the male seems determined to show the lady what a good pecker he is, and we hear him drumming on the trees all day long. It's a wonder he doesn't rattle his brain.
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 10:05 AM   #15
Executive Chef
I also feed year round in the summer it's mostly cracked corn in the winter I give them cracked corn, bird seed and suet cakes. The problem is the Pinon Jays they can eat all the suet in one day making it hard for the Mountain Chickadees, Finches and other little birds to get any suet. I rigged up a metal milk carton with extra wire so the Jays can't get in it but little ones can get to suet. Anyone have any other ideas to solve this problem? So here are some of the birds we get Pinon Jays, Red Winged Blackbirds, Eurasian Doves, Mourning Doves, Grackles, Finch,House Sparrows, Chickadees, Grosbeaks, Magpies, Crows, Flicker, Clark's Nutcracker, Humming Birds. The other birds on the ranch are Bald Eagle, Golden Eagle, Red Tailed Hawk, Cliff Swallows, Owls, Mountain Bluebirds, Pygmy Nuthatch, Turkeys, Grouse, Snow Geese, Ducks there are more I just can't think of right now.
"It's so beautifully arranged on the plate - you know someone's fingers have been all over it." - Julia Child
jpmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 10:11 AM   #16
Senior Cook
Send a message via AIM to LeeAnn Send a message via Yahoo to LeeAnn
We used to feed the birds, we had feeders out and the suet holders, and we put out other goodies for them. The kids have been asking if we are going to get birdfeeders again, we'd put them up on a high branch area that the cats could not get to - they could just "try". :-) I like to see fat little birds sitting in the branches, I think they look pretty cute!
~there might be a little dust on the bottle, but don't let it fool ya about what's inside~
LeeAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 10:21 AM   #17
I do. Little boogers are pigs though. I hang two feeders and the one they prefer will be empty in a few hours. The other one lasts a couple of days. I will only refill the first one if the sparrows have taken off for awhile. The chickadees and nuthatches get first dibs that way.
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 10:33 AM   #18
Head Chef
The covenants and restrictions for our subdivision forbid birdfeeders with the exception of hummingbird feeders. The birds create a real problem with the stucco and walls behind our homes, not to mention what they do to the tile roofs. Unfortunately, it's not so much the birds they're trying to keep away, it's the dang pigeons, and birdfeeders bring pigeons. Thousands of them.
We can't feed them or we'll be fined and that's okay with me. You can't imagine the mess they make and the more they're fed, the more come to get fed.
Visit my blogsite: Chew On This
DramaQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 10:22 AM   #19
Sous Chef
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
breadcrumbs and egg
Somehow, the idea of birds eating eggs is weird.
Mel! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 10:56 AM   #20
Executive Chef
LOL!, Mel. I thought so too. But my grandmother made bacon and eggs for my grandfather their whole married life. She raised canaries. After making eggs for grandpa, she made one for the birds, with the yolk dunked in dry toast and cut up in little tiny pieces. They loved it! Go figure!

quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote