"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 11-10-2008, 04:00 AM   #1
Sous Chef
Do you feed the birds in Wintertime?

Is so, do you put much though into what you give them or do you just shake the crumbs off the breadboard in the garden?

I buy sphere shaped bird food in a net bag and hang it on the trees in the garden every Winter. There is a variety of bird food available in the shops but I havent had any complaints about the spheres I always hang out, so I will continue to hand out the same ones.

Mel! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 06:19 AM   #2
Executive Chef
We usually have both bird seed and a suet block out. My MIL loves to sit on the porch and watch all the little feathered critters come up to the house.

Peace, Love, and Vegetable Rights!
Eat Meat and Save the Plants!
AllenOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 07:51 AM   #3
Master Chef
I feed them year round. I have 2 poles with feeders on them. The birds get mixed seeds, sunflower seeds , cracked corn and suet.
LadyCook61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 08:04 AM   #4
Head Chef
We take the seed style feeders in during the winter (due to snow) and replace them with suet feeders. I've read that if you take a food source away or move them, the birds will not come back (or at least it will take a while).
JMediger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 08:08 AM   #5
Head Chef
I would love to, but because of a massive chipmunk infestation last year, I can't do it anymore. I've considered moving the feeders down to the tree line, about 100' away, but still worry about the chipmunks.
It's good for the soul when there's not a soul in sight.

Trader Scott's Tiki Bar & Lounge
phinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 08:12 AM   #6
Assistant Cook
I do. I love watching them and so does my cat. (He's strictly an indoors cat) Sunflower seeds in one feeder and a mix in another along with a suet feeder. We have a visiting red squirrel now and then but he's not too much of a problem.
Joey69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 08:32 AM   #7
Executive Chef
We have a platform feeder as well as a couple of hanging feeders as well as two birdbaths. Put out suet from December to April. Some year round species only seem to eat Nyger in the winter. Sunflower seed hulls seem to poison ground. So we prefer to use millet and cracked corn. Wife fries up cakes for the birds made from breadcrumbs and egg left over from breading porkchops.
justplainbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 08:41 AM   #8
Head Chef
Sunflower seed hulls do indeed inhibit growth of plants, jpb. I feed black oil sunflower seeds, but my feeders are all under a big pine that has nothing growing under it anyhow.

I love to feed the birds, but sunflower seeds have more than doubled in price in the last year or so. Might have to take some of my 6 feeders down.

Sometimes I make peanut butter blocks for the birds. I melt lard and peanut butter together, and mix in enough cornmeal/oatmeal/seeds to stiffen it up.
I just haven't been the same
since that house fell on my sister.
sparrowgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 09:01 AM   #9
Executive Chef
When I lived up north, I fed all kinds of birds with all kinds of feeders hung from a 4' x 4' x 8' tall post in the ground.
Although the doves like to eat off the ground.
They say once you start using feeders you have to be careful keeping the food source, as the birds become dependant. They will starve if you don't.
Down here though, food is not the problem. Clean, non-salt or brackish water is. So I have two bird baths. On 1 I installed a
small pump in to keep the water moving.(they say moving water
if what attracts the birds. And they sure do use it) I haven't set up the 2nd bath yet.
But about a month+ ago, I saw this: http://www.amazon.com/5WWGS-Water-Wi...ef=pd_sim_ol_2 , on This Old House Show. And have been looking for it locally. (I want to see it in person to see if it will fit in my second bath.) Using this would be much easier than installing another pump. Plus it would be much easier than cleaning the pump every couple of days.
quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 09:37 AM   #10
Master Chef
I do not specifically buy any foods but we always have tons of bread left overs. So I go to this small lake by my work and feed the ducks and the geese and what ever else lives there.

You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote