"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-24-2007, 11:17 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

50 or 60 may be your age as per the calender or birthdate. I don't think counting the years is a better way to judge.Old or getting older is a mental process which guide you to stay away from the thing which will harm you mentally or physically.
Remember, aged wines taste better.

Old 06-24-2007, 11:30 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Jpmc, my mind is definately alot faster than my body. I think around the age of 43 I noticed my body slowing down a bit, but my mind is still age 35ish, mature, but not dumb ;) Horrible to think about my body slowing down though. I best get my *** out there and exercise, walk, lift weights, anything really to keep my body in sync with my mind.

Old 06-24-2007, 11:39 PM   #13
Master Chef

deleted by luvs
Old 06-25-2007, 01:15 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Sometimes when I don't get much sleep, feeling crabby and not much coffee on me then take a look in the mirror...._rap! Oh yeah, then I feel old!
Old 06-25-2007, 07:58 AM   #15
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
I agree with Uncle Bob, getting younger as you age - but only till age 40 ! I have more patience with my grandsons now, that I wish I had with my boys. Enjoying and appreciating the little things in life more too.. I sure don't feel Old - whatever that is !
Old 06-25-2007, 10:00 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Shock

My brother was in nursing home for a while due to a fall. Broke his shoulder. Now he is at home and he seems more old than when in the home. Our minds do that to us nothing else. I feel just as you are what you eat, so the same if the mind with the body, in many cases. His pains are legitimate but I feel if he would have kept moving would be different. Now he sits and wants me to do more.

Well, when i went to the home to see him, I ran into friend of my brothers who lived in neighborhood when they were young. She was volunteer there and working and walking faster than I did. Always dressed up with small heels. I finally got enough nerve to ask her how old she was. Hold on! 96 years of age. Her mind was so sharp and still traveled by car across country. She never even wore glasses. When you meet someone like this you wonder what you are doing?

We all should wake up feeling positive about the day and know we are going to be thankful we did what we did. Even if it is just making a meal. It is something and times pretty intense. The doctor has told me just working in the house won't make difference. Got to move out of the house and keep moving.

If i want to sit down, I have to remind myself of Vi that's her name. What a character too. Friends with everyone. Who wouldn't be at that age?

Like to ask a personal question about this topic. If I have to care for my brother, do you feel that would affect my moods and physical motions? My family tells me since i have been caring for him I don't seem to walk as quickly as I used to. Tell me I always talk too loud. Are they right or do you think it is just their imagination? Also have a old dog. Just can't ignore them.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:30 AM   #17
Master Chef

I'm kinda feeling old today!! LOL! Nah, I have always considered myself in the 22 to 26 range. I think staying active and enjoying the simple things in life has kept me young at heart. I still like to do the same things that I did as a kid... play hide and go seek, catch bugs, play in the dirt, stuff all the gum balls I can in my mouth and make a big mess!!! And don't forget the LUCKY CHARMS!!!
Old 06-25-2007, 11:12 AM   #18
Everymom

I frequently joke that I haven't actually matured past age 15 emotionally. I taught my daughter's ball team (13-14 year olds) how to correctly cannonball into a pool last month. Can you believe no one had ever shown them the correct technique???

Caine...I think I know you well enough now to know that you are joking with that dating comment. Otherwise I'd have had to *shudder*.

And as for the rest of you, a little quote from one of my favorite movies (forgive my paraphrasing) "Be excellent to each other. And....PARTY ON DUDES!!"
Old 06-25-2007, 11:13 AM   #19
Senior Cook

I feel old when I'm around teenagers. If I buy a new: TV, DVR, phone, etc., my nieces and nephs can just "figure it out"--it is intuitive for them. I, on the other hand, will spend a week trying to wade through the instruction manual (usually the size of a textbook!) and still be as lost as I was when I started...what a geezer!
Old 06-25-2007, 11:24 AM   #20
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodstorm
I feel old when I'm around teenagers. If I buy a new: TV, DVR, phone, etc., my nieces and nephs can just "figure it out"--it is intuitive for them. I, on the other hand, will spend a week trying to wade through the instruction manual (usually the size of a textbook!) and still be as lost as I was when I started...what a geezer!
Happens to me all the time too, my boys try to teach me something on my laptop - Nope, doesn't come as easy as it use to - bummer ! I have to write notes to myself all the time or I would forget ! That part of aging I don't like.