Do you feel old?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Isn't that funny...I feel that being with teenagers is what keeps me feeling young. LOL. Guess its all a matter of perspective.

jpmcgrew said:
:) Do you feel as old mentally as you are body wise? Im about to turn 50 but I think Im no older mentally than around 25-30 I still love silly things even tho Im very much smarter then I was when I was younger but I dont think old.Is this what happens when you get older? I start to age but but I still love my punk rock from the 70's and 80's and any great music ,think Nirvana and still just never have had the mature persons thoughts(Do they actually think old?)I mean you see old people that are really old like 70 or 80 and they act old but are they really?I have met some women in their 40s that have gray hair (no coloring like they want to be old)and wear granny type clothes(when theyt dont hafto) just cause they have kids?Idont know.

jpm, you bring up lots of topics for thought re age/mentality/music/dress/body etc.

How old is old? I think we all have different perceptions. In my teens I thought 30 was old. I would not repeat my 20's - as you don't know who you really are, yet. BTW, IQ and life experiences have nothing to do with one another. My brain/personality has always been full of life - & I was lucky to have good genes - can't give that a #.

As far as wardrobe and hair color - that, imo, is a matter of taste & what is appropriate. And, if you got the bod to wear mini skirts & a thong, etc. go for it!

The 'thing' about chronilogical age that bothers me a bit, is the different standard/double standard - between men and women. i.e. a man can be in his 50s-60's, whatever, and still be considered vital and appealing -- while a woman past 30 has to work twice as hard being accepted in the job market and taken seriously.

Men have, always dated women half their age & noone thought twice about it. Women, now, are dating younger men & there seems to be some acceptance. I, personally, can't relate to men in their 20's. Yes, I'm attracted to younger men, but when they open their mouths & they don't have anything going on upstairs - turn off.

Yes, women might probably like to 'Turn Back Time' and look like Cher, or have a portrait of Dorian Grey (sp?) in the attick, but imo, it is about being comfortable about oneself & knowing who you are. That's my two cents.

Re comments about dentures and bifocals from people in their 20's or otherwise -- not cool or appealing or a sense of what/who one's self is all about.

Last edited:
Men

Couldn't agree w/you more, amy! I got to tell you I noticed this guy in sport car with white hair like i have. When we were walking to the door of shopping center, he opens the door for this sweet young thing and I had to open it for myself. I felt like he was upset when he saw my hair. Was like looking in a mirror. Really surprised me the way he showed his feelings. Men are more sensitive about appearance than women, don't you think when they mature? Or is that another topic?

In the Kitchen said:
Couldn't agree w/you more, amy! I got to tell you I noticed this guy in sport car with white hair like i have. When we were walking to the door of shopping center, he opens the door for this sweet young thing and I had to open it for myself. I felt like he was upset when he saw my hair. Was like looking in a mirror. Really surprised me the way he showed his feelings. Men are more sensitive about appearance than women, don't you think when they mature? Or is that another topic?

ITK, couldn't relate more :LOL: Lots of topics here. I think men, go through a different change - need expensive toys - & women start feeling inadequate - looking for plastic surgeons & feeling insecure about themselves. Life is funny, don't you think. :LOL: Bottom line? I think it's about knowing who you are & being comfortable - & not running to a plastic surgeon (unless that's what makes you happy), to try to compete.

amy

Agree again! Life must be treating us similar. I just really count my blessings that I have what I have. And it isn't plastic. NO plastic hips either. I heard Jane Fonda had hip replacement. I thought when you exercise you are trying to prevent from getting replacements? If anyone did lot of exercise she sure did. Maybe her life before exercise was not good. Now she is almost 70 and sure doesn't look or act like it. But I don't know details either. Lot of the women in public don't have any choice but to 'fix' their face. They say in Florida it is hiliarious that women look like young girl w/old hands.

As you said amy, be comfortable with what you got cause it could all go away tomorrow.

Alix said:
Caine...I think I know you well enough now to know that you are joking with that dating comment. Otherwise I'd have had to *shudder*.

Well. then, start shuddering because I am not joking!

I have two sons, one born in 1969, the other in 1981, and I haven't dated a woman over 35 in at least 5 years.

I have very good genes, and I do not look anywhere near my age. I can tell anyone who asks that I am 43, and they never question it. I have a full head of hair, and my barber STILL has to use the "pinking shears" on me to thin the sides out so they'll lay flat! My hair refuses to turn grey, although I do have some silver threads among the gold, they are few and far between. Yet my younger brother has has already gone through salt & pepper to totally grey. He and my father constantly accuse me of coloring my hair. I just tell them "take a very close look. If I am coloring my hair, I am doing a REALLY lousy job of it!"

My last S.O., who was in her mid 30s at the time, told me she was going to stop coloring her hair and let it just go to grey. I told her if she did that, to go out and buy a really gawdy pearl necklace, because we were going to look just like George and Barbara!

You also have to remember that I am a certified personal trainer, nutritionist, and senior fittness instructor, so I really am required to work hard to keep the outside in tune with the inside.

Hubby and I are both 80!....sure, the body feels it sometimes....but, thankfully we have all our bits and pieces in our brains. We just celebrated 60 years of marriage and had a wonderful party that our kids made us, that included two of our best friends, in their 30's. If anyone is from Toronto, they'd know about Ryerson University that has LIFE Inst.....learning is forever....we both attend and do all sorts of courses. The Profs find us much more interesting than the young 'uns...LOL.....we ask better questions....
So, there's my take on growing older.....think positive.....and oh yes, as many of you know, I had a lumpectomy last Feb. but....onwards and upwards!!!!

I love being around young kids. I fit right in. If only my body did not hurt as much :( . Kind of embarasising to talk about my body after somebody talks about being 80, but there is nothing i can do.

Anyway I feel very young in hart and in mind.

There are days when I get up look in the mirror and quickly turn around to see who that is behind me:LOL: But,having my little ones here 3 days a week, keeps me moving at a steady clip. Sure, there are some aches and pains..But, the hugs, kisses,smiles, laughs and giggles more than make up for them...I find I think more as my daughters do than how my husbands mom was..My mom was always fun to be around, would go anyplace, do things you think an older person wouldn't, like slap on a pair of roller skates with me and my kids and off we'd go...Or ride a bike, she kept up with world events even more than I did then..She and I both kept the old mind going with reading and crosswords..Yes, it's hard to see wrinkles come, and white in your hair..And for me there are times I could throttle whoever it was that said your older years are golden!! But, I'd not go back, and start over, I might not have my wonderful family, friends and best of all,Cade, Carson,Ethan,Olivia,Alyssa and Gianna to love and care for..Sure I'd like some added years to be with them, but,life is good, I'll keep what I have, and treasure it.

kadesma:)

I'm 52, and I am feeling menopause mightily. I feel like if I move my head sideways, my brains might fall out. As a life long insomniac, losing more sleep is pretty hard to take (how many days can you go on 3 or 4 hours of sleep a night?). However, I am grateful that my husband and I retired early, and I have the disctinct advantange of napping (something I never did before) and being able to take extra exercise classes (something I did regularly one or two times a week most of my life, but now can easily make up when I miss a class, plus I walk many places I need to go rather than drive). So the great irony is that my face and mind may not be doing so well, but the bod is doing better than ever. I read 3-5 books a week, get those workouts in. But no, I'm not the woman I was at 20, 30, or 40. I'm lucky I can remember my husband and my dog's names. This is frustrating.

As far as loving silly things, I'm right there with you. My favorite music is ... old bubblegum. I have many friends who are in the single digets, many in their 30s, many in their 70s, and a few in the decades after, before and in between. Helping the elders and youngers keeps you going. I also have many friends from many different ethnic backgrounds and I actually manage to get my little gray cells going by practicing my entire few dozen words in different languages working.

I guess the bottom line is that there are days I feel older than God. The knees and hips hurt, and I can't remember anything worth knowing. But reading, getting out and helping others, exposing yourself to youth .... well, honestly it doesn't make me feel younger, but it does make me pretend to. My husband is older, and when he has an arthritis, bee attack, gout or diabetes attack (thank heaven, not for two years now) it adds years to my age. I always say it is easier to be sick yourself than to have a sick spouse. But I got him to eat better and exercise every day, and that took a few years off of my life.

My sis (pushing50) critiized my baby sis (late 30s) freind for wearing "old lady jeans". My sis is a marathon runner (a couple of marathons a year, minimum, and minis in between). Since I don't know any of them that well, I kept my mouth shut. But what is wrong with a pushing-40 woman deciding to be comfortable? Here she was, in the hospital, comforting us because of my mother's life-threatening illness.

Sometimes you just need to let go. Enjoy the great things that do come with being a bit older. Keep exercising, eat well, and cultivate good, interesting friendships.

Wake UP

Is this age or what? I wake up at 5 every morning. Get the lunches, water the grass when needed and then try to wake up. Seems I am not alert until maybe 10 or 11. Do you think this is my age? Or not getting enough sleep? I go to bed around 11 or 11:30. My one brother tells me he is like that too.

There is radio show that has slogan AM in PM. Isn't that because not awake till PM? Boy wish someone knew the answer here. Really horrible feeling of not being able to wake up when you have to get things done. Anyone like this or we all alone here?

Thanks for your input.

:) Not enough sleep you need at least 8 hours.I need 9-10.The only time I have a hard time waking up is when the barometric pressure is going down I stay groggy for about an hour and feel sleepy during the day.I can tell you if its up or down just by how I feel.

Pushing 60

I know when women go through change they have goofy symptoms to fool with and I mean strange. I had hard time falling to sleep then too and had the stupid 'sweats' that woke me up. Seems they would never go away.

I have hard time falling to sleep if everyone doesn't quiet down before 11. Sometimes they are out. I thought that is what it is not enough sleep. I resent taking sleeping pills but I know when I do I don't hear anything. Guess I am up tight about just nodding off.

I will just try to start going to bed before anyone else and see if this doesn't make difference. Do any of you take pills to fall asleep? My brother regulated with pills. Wake up pills, fall asleep pills, good mood pills, etc. Strange that they must work. Our mother lived to be in her 90's. Her mother only 72. Still had her mind too.

Thanks for your time and see if I can't turn a corner here about sleeping. My other brother his wife doesn't go to sleep till after 3 cause she won't take pills. My brother gets up around 5 too. Imagine what kind of life he has? Well he married her. She doesn't get up till 12.

jpmcgrew said:
:) Not enough sleep you need at least 8 hours.I need 9-10.The only time I have a hard time waking up is when the barometric pressure is going down I stay groggy for about an hour and feel sleepy during the day.I can tell you if its up or down just by how I feel.

Interesting how everyone is different re sleep. I only get about 4-5 hours - sometimes 6 hours, and wake up with adrenaline pumping. I almost always get up before the sun rises, & haven't used an alarm clock in years. Just wondering, if you are groggy from too much sleep, or inactivity? I'm not a doc, but 9-10 hours sleep sounds like a lot. Have you had a complete physical. None o' my biz, but too much sleep & still being tired during the day, sometimes sounds like depression or something else going on.

Last edited:
I think everyone needs to find their own sleep need, some more, some less as long as you feel rested when you get up. But Iam a big coffee drinker (lite) 1/2 caffeine, parents were too.

Alix said:
Caine...I think I know you well enough now to know that you are joking with that dating comment. Otherwise I'd have had to *shudder*.

lol, i was just thinking "alllllriiiight!" (in my best quagmire)

giggity.

i was pretty indestructible for my first 39 or 40 years, but i think my age is catching up to me. i am trying to remain immature to offset these changes. :cool:

it's worked up to now.

i've sacrificed sleep for work, and to be awake to play with my boy. it's beginning to take it's toll on me. after a good night's sleep of 6 or 7 solid hours, i feel like superman. (wearing a towel tied around my neck, and my tighty whities on the outside also helps)

but, after a day of manually shearing, trimming, and chopping hedges and trees around my house on sunday, then a day of standing in knee deep rough surf and constantly lifting my squirmy, squealing, greasy little guy over every wave, i'm pretty sore. i need to get back to skating and lifting.

so my answer to "do you feel old?" is "only if i have to stand up."

Last edited:
I am 62 and I am not old, I love the same things as I did in my thirties, sports, good food, old dogs and cold beer.

I can't do some of the things I used to be able to do, I wouldn't want to do some of the things anyway.

I think the greatest thing about getting older is you don't have to worry about a lot of the things you did in your youth.

I think it was Bob Uecker (sp) who said if I knew I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.

Just enjoy all that you have and don't worry, nobody is getting out alive anyway.

later

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom