"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-25-2007, 11:27 AM   #21
Everymom

Isn't that funny...I feel that being with teenagers is what keeps me feeling young. LOL. Guess its all a matter of perspective.

Old 06-25-2007, 11:34 AM   #22
Master Chef

My mind is a lot younger than my body, that's for sure!! LOL

Old 06-25-2007, 01:53 PM   #23
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew
Do you feel as old mentally as you are body wise? Im about to turn 50 but I think Im no older mentally than around 25-30 I still love silly things even tho Im very much smarter then I was when I was younger but I dont think old.Is this what happens when you get older? I start to age but but I still love my punk rock from the 70's and 80's and any great music ,think Nirvana and still just never have had the mature persons thoughts(Do they actually think old?)I mean you see old people that are really old like 70 or 80 and they act old but are they really?I have met some women in their 40s that have gray hair (no coloring like they want to be old)and wear granny type clothes(when theyt dont hafto) just cause they have kids?Idont know.
jpm, you bring up lots of topics for thought re age/mentality/music/dress/body etc.

How old is old? I think we all have different perceptions. In my teens I thought 30 was old. I would not repeat my 20's - as you don't know who you really are, yet. BTW, IQ and life experiences have nothing to do with one another. My brain/personality has always been full of life - & I was lucky to have good genes - can't give that a #.

As far as wardrobe and hair color - that, imo, is a matter of taste & what is appropriate. And, if you got the bod to wear mini skirts & a thong, etc. go for it!

The 'thing' about chronilogical age that bothers me a bit, is the different standard/double standard - between men and women. i.e. a man can be in his 50s-60's, whatever, and still be considered vital and appealing -- while a woman past 30 has to work twice as hard being accepted in the job market and taken seriously.

Men have, always dated women half their age & noone thought twice about it. Women, now, are dating younger men & there seems to be some acceptance. I, personally, can't relate to men in their 20's. Yes, I'm attracted to younger men, but when they open their mouths & they don't have anything going on upstairs - turn off.

Yes, women might probably like to 'Turn Back Time' and look like Cher, or have a portrait of Dorian Grey (sp?) in the attick, but imo, it is about being comfortable about oneself & knowing who you are. That's my two cents.

Re comments about dentures and bifocals from people in their 20's or otherwise -- not cool or appealing or a sense of what/who one's self is all about.
Old 06-25-2007, 02:29 PM   #24
Executive Chef

Men

Couldn't agree w/you more, amy! I got to tell you I noticed this guy in sport car with white hair like i have. When we were walking to the door of shopping center, he opens the door for this sweet young thing and I had to open it for myself. I felt like he was upset when he saw my hair. Was like looking in a mirror. Really surprised me the way he showed his feelings. Men are more sensitive about appearance than women, don't you think when they mature? Or is that another topic?
Old 06-25-2007, 02:36 PM   #25
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Kitchen
Couldn't agree w/you more, amy! I got to tell you I noticed this guy in sport car with white hair like i have. When we were walking to the door of shopping center, he opens the door for this sweet young thing and I had to open it for myself. I felt like he was upset when he saw my hair. Was like looking in a mirror. Really surprised me the way he showed his feelings. Men are more sensitive about appearance than women, don't you think when they mature? Or is that another topic?
ITK, couldn't relate more Lots of topics here. I think men, go through a different change - need expensive toys - & women start feeling inadequate - looking for plastic surgeons & feeling insecure about themselves. Life is funny, don't you think. Bottom line? I think it's about knowing who you are & being comfortable - & not running to a plastic surgeon (unless that's what makes you happy), to try to compete.
Old 06-25-2007, 02:47 PM   #26
Executive Chef

amy

Agree again! Life must be treating us similar. I just really count my blessings that I have what I have. And it isn't plastic. NO plastic hips either. I heard Jane Fonda had hip replacement. I thought when you exercise you are trying to prevent from getting replacements? If anyone did lot of exercise she sure did. Maybe her life before exercise was not good. Now she is almost 70 and sure doesn't look or act like it. But I don't know details either. Lot of the women in public don't have any choice but to 'fix' their face. They say in Florida it is hiliarious that women look like young girl w/old hands.

As you said amy, be comfortable with what you got cause it could all go away tomorrow.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:20 PM   #27
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix

Caine...I think I know you well enough now to know that you are joking with that dating comment. Otherwise I'd have had to *shudder*.
Well. then, start shuddering because I am not joking!

I have two sons, one born in 1969, the other in 1981, and I haven't dated a woman over 35 in at least 5 years.

I have very good genes, and I do not look anywhere near my age. I can tell anyone who asks that I am 43, and they never question it. I have a full head of hair, and my barber STILL has to use the "pinking shears" on me to thin the sides out so they'll lay flat! My hair refuses to turn grey, although I do have some silver threads among the gold, they are few and far between. Yet my younger brother has has already gone through salt & pepper to totally grey. He and my father constantly accuse me of coloring my hair. I just tell them "take a very close look. If I am coloring my hair, I am doing a REALLY lousy job of it!"

My last S.O., who was in her mid 30s at the time, told me she was going to stop coloring her hair and let it just go to grey. I told her if she did that, to go out and buy a really gawdy pearl necklace, because we were going to look just like George and Barbara!

You also have to remember that I am a certified personal trainer, nutritionist, and senior fittness instructor, so I really am required to work hard to keep the outside in tune with the inside.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:03 PM   #28
Sous Chef

Hubby and I are both 80!....sure, the body feels it sometimes....but, thankfully we have all our bits and pieces in our brains. We just celebrated 60 years of marriage and had a wonderful party that our kids made us, that included two of our best friends, in their 30's. If anyone is from Toronto, they'd know about Ryerson University that has LIFE Inst.....learning is forever....we both attend and do all sorts of courses. The Profs find us much more interesting than the young 'uns...LOL.....we ask better questions....
So, there's my take on growing older.....think positive.....and oh yes, as many of you know, I had a lumpectomy last Feb. but....onwards and upwards!!!!
Old 06-25-2007, 04:21 PM   #29
Master Chef

I love being around young kids. I fit right in. If only my body did not hurt as much . Kind of embarasising to talk about my body after somebody talks about being 80, but there is nothing i can do.

Anyway I feel very young in hart and in mind.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:16 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

There are days when I get up look in the mirror and quickly turn around to see who that is behind me But,having my little ones here 3 days a week, keeps me moving at a steady clip. Sure, there are some aches and pains..But, the hugs, kisses,smiles, laughs and giggles more than make up for them...I find I think more as my daughters do than how my husbands mom was..My mom was always fun to be around, would go anyplace, do things you think an older person wouldn't, like slap on a pair of roller skates with me and my kids and off we'd go...Or ride a bike, she kept up with world events even more than I did then..She and I both kept the old mind going with reading and crosswords..Yes, it's hard to see wrinkles come, and white in your hair..And for me there are times I could throttle whoever it was that said your older years are golden!! But, I'd not go back, and start over, I might not have my wonderful family, friends and best of all,Cade, Carson,Ethan,Olivia,Alyssa and Gianna to love and care for..Sure I'd like some added years to be with them, but,life is good, I'll keep what I have, and treasure it.

kadesma