"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-21-2008, 09:06 AM   #11
Sous Chef

Not much bothers me in the kitchen. Our kitchen is small so when someone is cooking we leave them alone unless they ask for help.

Old 11-21-2008, 09:11 AM   #12
Chief Eating Officer

I love having people in the kitchen when I cook. I do not find it annoying at all. I actually prefer it. Sometimes it can be challanging though. My wife always decided to use the sink right when I need it and if it is cold water I need then she has the hot running and vice versa. It does not annoy me though. I tell her I need to borrow the sink and she out of my way before I can even finish asking her.

The one thing that has started making me nervous since my boy is now walking is when I am cooking stuff that splatters. I do not mind getting hit with hot oil droplets, but I do not want my kids getting hit. Of course they are very curious and want to watch what I am doing so that can be a challange. It is not annoying though.

Old 11-21-2008, 09:13 AM   #13
Head Chef

My wife, for reasons unknown, almost always thinks it is Hug Time....
when I am chopping, slicing, dicing, frying, stirring or otherwise involved
in an active cook moment.
Don't get me wrong, I like Hug Times... but can't it wait a moment or two?
Otherwise, I like people hanging out to keep me company while I cooks.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:15 AM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

I put my grandson in the high chair near the stove so he can watch. It's as effective as Sesame Street at keeping his attention.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:16 AM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillingFool View Post
...Don't get me wrong, I like Hug Times... but can't it wait a moment or two?...

No, it can't wait. Hugs trump cooking every time.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:17 AM   #16
Chief Eating Officer

Yeah I do the same thing Andy. It works about 50% of the time. The other 50% he just refuses to be in his seat. It is perfect when he allows it though as I can keep him a safe distance from everything and I know exactly where he is.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:52 AM   #17
Cook

For many years our holidays have been at Mom & Dad's house with only the three of us doing the cooking. When everyone was here we would have around 35. It always amazed me that EVERYONE wanted to crowd into the kitchen to snatch a little taste of something before we served but when it came time to do the dishes NO ONE was around. My SIL's could set records on how fast they could load up the kids and dissapear before the table was cleared.

Mom and I can always work side by side in the kitchen but I do not do well when I have others in MY kitchen standing in the way and asking stupid questions. (aka Not Offering to Help) My EX SIL was the worst. She would walk right up behind me and stare into a pan or bowl over my shoulder. I have this giant Chef's Knife that I almost stabbed her with one time because she was so close when I started to turn around.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:52 AM   #18
Head Chef

I welcome the help so its no bother to me.
** Joe, beautiful kitchen !

Fettuccine Alfredo is Macaroni & Cheese for Adults.
Luvs2Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 09:57 AM   #19
Head Chef

I guess it depends on the person. I am so use to doing everything by myself that it is a little jarring to tell someone else that wants to help what to do. However, I have taught people how to bake at my house--that wasn't so bad. I think that I prefer demonstration though unless it is something like cookies.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:57 AM   #20
Executive Chef

I'm OK with people being around but I do intensely dislike people messing with the food I'm cooking. DW will come in and feel the need to prod or stir things.