Do you get annoyed by people while cooking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't mind the company, but I don't like sharing the kitchen. For example, when I'm trying to get dinner ready and the DW decides she wants to bake something.....that can be a little nerveracking at times.

Yeah I do the same thing Andy. It works about 50% of the time. The other 50% he just refuses to be in his seat. It is perfect when he allows it though as I can keep him a safe distance from everything and I know exactly where he is.
Give him a wooden spoon and a plastic container and show him how to play drums GB...Ya never know he might love it...Mine did, but be warned they grow into a noisy pot fairly fast...
kades

I enjoy having company as I cook but there are several things that set the old teeth on edge..Why must all the lights from the entry hall fixture need cleaning NOW? Must we make a sandwich on the same cutting board I'm using to chop onions? Do you really need to stand next to the garbage disposal and pick out the orange peel? My DH has taken to hanging around the kitchen dispensing helpful advice lately and it is making me crazy. Other wise I enjoy the kids running through or my daughters in there with me..They help me a lot now and it's fun to see them change and grow as they do things...So I'm usually happy to have you share the kitchen with me..
kadesma

My inlaws occasionally (read always) drive me nuts when we host holiday dinners. Why, you ask?

1) My M-I-L stands next to me, or leans on me, while I'm carving. If that isn't annoying enough, she's darting her hand in and out grabbing "a taste" at the same time. :mad:

2) My inlaws have a first come first served mentality. It doesn't matter how many people are coming, if they're there first, they feel that all the appetizers are for them. For example: Xmas day, I fry calamari & smelts. Again I have the M-I-L standing next to me and/or leaning on me. (She is always surprised that that first smelt or calamari is so hot as she grabs it and eats it right after I dump it in the bowl from the hot frier, it never fails!) They can't sit down and wait for the appetizers to put on the table with the proper sauces, etc, no they stand behind me and are grabbing the food and asking for salt, pepper, 'where's that dipping sauce?'. (You know, since I'm not doing anything, can I get you a drink while your standing in front of the fridge?) Needless to say, it gets pretty frustrating. I usually have to vocalize my feelings when my one B-I-L asks why I'm not frying that last batch. :mad:

Other than that, I don't have a care in the world when people are in my kitchen.;)

Love the company while I cook as long as I have room to move around. My mom is a lot loke 70c's MIL...she HOVERS right next to me sometimes toughing me. She HATED it when her father did it to her she'd complain for days before the holiday .. "he's going to follow me around and drive me crazy, he just stands there and hovers"...on and on. Now she does it to me and she laughs about it. LOL.. " I'm just like grandpa, I'm hovering.. I have to make sure you're doing it right"... UGH!!!!!

Give him a wooden spoon and a plastic container and show him how to play drums GB...Ya never know he might love it...Mine did, but be warned they grow into a noisy pot fairly fast...
kades
:LOL: trust me, he has that down pat. He plays drums better than Ringo Star.

Just me, DH, and the dogs. The dogs usually hang around to clean up the things I drop. The only time I get irritated is that when I start to cook, DH decides to unload the dishwasher. He has had alllllll day to do it, WHY NOW????? Throws my whole cooking vibe off.

Other than that, I'm cool with folks in the kitchen... just stay out of my way! :)

Is there anyone here who gets highly irritated (even enraged) when other people are hanging around in the kitchen while you're trying to cook? If so, could you please explain why it bothers you? Thanks.

No. Never annoyed & welcome the company, unless I am preparing an elaborate meal/dinner. Then, I prefer to be alone & concentrate on what I need to do. Otherwise, it is quite the opposite - more of a social gathering, i.e. make yourself a cocktail or have a glass of wine & chat. Wish I had more space & seating than I do now, but I'll squeeze you in. ;)

My kitchen isn't very big so you can't get too many people in it. With that being said, I'll have all my serving dishes layed out on the kitchen table to be filled and taken to the dining room. Inevitably someone wants to sit at the kitchen table to watch me and starts moving things around. lol
No one else in my family likes to cook, so they usually steer clear until time to serve. Dh will sneak in and try to grab something or other "just to taste". At least I know they like my cooking!

Barb

Yes, I get annoyed. I don't mind someone else being in the kitchen, as long as they know that I move around quite a bit, and you need to be aware of where I'm going and what I have in my hands, as it can be razor-sharp or hot. Don't get in my way.

My kids are always running through the kitchen, wanting a glass of water, a sandwich, etc. The dogs are always underfoot. I really dislike stepping on the chihuahuas, as they're so small, I could really hurt them. That also translates to the kids, as I don't want to step on them.

What we really need to do is get some barstools for the prep counter, as it also serves as a bar. That way the kids could watch what I'm doing, as I know that's the main thing they want to do.

Occasionally PeppA will ask if I want help. She'll dice up some onions or something for me.

I will admit I have some hangups. I prefer to prep everything myself, as that way I know what it will do in the pan, texture, taste, etc. Sometimes someone else will prep something for me, and it isn't cut right, or doesn't taste right, and for me, it's ruined, but it's still perfectly suitable. I recognize this, and usually bite my tongue. However, I'll work myself to death, get all upset, etc., trying to get everything ready by myself when I know that I can't really do it, just because I don't trust anyone else to make something "exactly" like I do.

It doesn't bother me at all. I love having friends and family in the kitchen, we all seem to gather there. I'm with Allen on the pets though, my daughters cat is always under foot in the kitchen.

I cook a great deal and I'm good at it. My family and friends seldom cook and they AREN'T good at it so watching me cook is a source of fascination for them. I can understand that, but they ask a jillion questions and they all stand over my shoulder and next to me at the stove. I work fairly fast and when I need to reach for something I have to step on at least 3 people to get at what I want.

I don't need or want their help, it only hinders me because it takes time to tell or show them what to do. I'm flattered but please don't stand over me when I cook. Sit in the kitchen with me if you want to , have a glass of wine and chat. I love that part, BUT STAY THE HELL OUT OF MY WAY!!!

Sit in the kitchen with me if you want to , have a glass of wine and chat. I love that part, BUT STAY THE HELL OUT OF MY WAY!!!

I agree. I tend to stage things in three areas of the kitchen and move between them working on something in each area at the same time. As long as they are in one place out of the way with their hands out of the food they are welcome.

I like the company while I am cooking, but don't want the help. My kitchen is really designed for one person, and I worry about injuring myself or the "helper". I would prefer that you make your own drink, eat the nibbles I have pre-prepared, and sit on the other side of the kitchen bar, and keep me company. Ask questions if you like. What really bugs me, though, are those wanting to help me clean up. I use tin lined copper cookware, laminated japanese knives, and good china and glassware. I prefer to clean them up myself. None of these go in the dishwasher, or get anywhere a scouring pad.

my kitchen is small. one more person other than myself is all it can handle. i'm ok with them being there, as long as they do an assigned task and leave the rest alone. you know, put rolls on pan for oven or set up coffee station. they can open cans, olives etc. they really need to stay out of my way. when i do a holiday, like to do as much as i can in days before. so not a lot of prep. annoyed ?no, thrilled?not so much
when i dish up dessert though, i let one person take the order and serve it. guests are not always at the table for dessert

I'm blessed with a big kitchen that has an island where visitors can sit and chat or help out if they are so inclined. I don't invite people into my home who are toads, trolls or PIA's, so it's a non-issue for me. Here's a pic before I tiled the back splash walls.

img_729858_0_8e10c5e9e23d7235eb504c1b177d8c06.jpg

Okay now I surely do feel like I am justified in complaining when someone only 'stands' in the kitchen. YOUR kitchen is something that I only can dream about. I am so very happy for you. Looks absolutely gorgeous. As I said DREAM kitchen. You don't have any right to complain. This Thanksgiving count your blessings and thanks so much for sharing.

...I really dislike stepping on the chihuahuas, as they're so small, I could really hurt them...
For me it is a German Shepherd and two cats. The cats don't hang out in the kitchen with me that much, but when they do, they like to wrap themselves around my legs as I cook and try to walk. Cubbie likes to lie right across my path so that I have to step over him to go to the living room. Like kids and husbands, he has selective hearing and doesn't hear me telling him to move! Of course, as soon as I get past him, he gets up and follows me into the living room so that as soon as I pull my chair up to the computer, he can sit right behind the wheels of my chair! I guess it is kind of like tying a bell to a sleepwalker--he wants to make sure he notices when I leave!

:)Barbara

doesn't bother me as long as they want to help here and there but don't tell me how to make what im cooking or add seasoning while im still making it.

Back
Top Bottom