"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-21-2008, 10:16 AM   #21
Executive Chef

I don't mind the company, but I don't like sharing the kitchen. For example, when I'm trying to get dinner ready and the DW decides she wants to bake something.....that can be a little nerveracking at times.

Old 11-21-2008, 10:23 AM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Yeah I do the same thing Andy. It works about 50% of the time. The other 50% he just refuses to be in his seat. It is perfect when he allows it though as I can keep him a safe distance from everything and I know exactly where he is.
Give him a wooden spoon and a plastic container and show him how to play drums GB...Ya never know he might love it...Mine did, but be warned they grow into a noisy pot fairly fast...
kades

Old 11-21-2008, 10:32 AM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

I enjoy having company as I cook but there are several things that set the old teeth on edge..Why must all the lights from the entry hall fixture need cleaning NOW? Must we make a sandwich on the same cutting board I'm using to chop onions? Do you really need to stand next to the garbage disposal and pick out the orange peel? My DH has taken to hanging around the kitchen dispensing helpful advice lately and it is making me crazy. Other wise I enjoy the kids running through or my daughters in there with me..They help me a lot now and it's fun to see them change and grow as they do things...So I'm usually happy to have you share the kitchen with me..
kadesma
Old 11-21-2008, 11:06 AM   #24
Master Chef

No comment, just look at my DC name.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:33 AM   #25
Cook

My inlaws occasionally (read always) drive me nuts when we host holiday dinners. Why, you ask?

1) My M-I-L stands next to me, or leans on me, while I'm carving. If that isn't annoying enough, she's darting her hand in and out grabbing "a taste" at the same time.

2) My inlaws have a first come first served mentality. It doesn't matter how many people are coming, if they're there first, they feel that all the appetizers are for them. For example: Xmas day, I fry calamari & smelts. Again I have the M-I-L standing next to me and/or leaning on me. (She is always surprised that that first smelt or calamari is so hot as she grabs it and eats it right after I dump it in the bowl from the hot frier, it never fails!) They can't sit down and wait for the appetizers to put on the table with the proper sauces, etc, no they stand behind me and are grabbing the food and asking for salt, pepper, 'where's that dipping sauce?'. (You know, since I'm not doing anything, can I get you a drink while your standing in front of the fridge?) Needless to say, it gets pretty frustrating. I usually have to vocalize my feelings when my one B-I-L asks why I'm not frying that last batch.

Other than that, I don't have a care in the world when people are in my kitchen.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:04 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Love the company while I cook as long as I have room to move around. My mom is a lot loke 70c's MIL...she HOVERS right next to me sometimes toughing me. She HATED it when her father did it to her she'd complain for days before the holiday .. "he's going to follow me around and drive me crazy, he just stands there and hovers"...on and on. Now she does it to me and she laughs about it. LOL.. " I'm just like grandpa, I'm hovering.. I have to make sure you're doing it right"... UGH!!!!!
Old 11-21-2008, 12:07 PM   #27
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
Give him a wooden spoon and a plastic container and show him how to play drums GB...Ya never know he might love it...Mine did, but be warned they grow into a noisy pot fairly fast...
kades
trust me, he has that down pat. He plays drums better than Ringo Star.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:19 PM   #28
Master Chef

Just me, DH, and the dogs. The dogs usually hang around to clean up the things I drop. The only time I get irritated is that when I start to cook, DH decides to unload the dishwasher. He has had alllllll day to do it, WHY NOW????? Throws my whole cooking vibe off.

Other than that, I'm cool with folks in the kitchen... just stay out of my way! :)
Old 11-21-2008, 12:21 PM   #29
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbb87 View Post
Is there anyone here who gets highly irritated (even enraged) when other people are hanging around in the kitchen while you're trying to cook? If so, could you please explain why it bothers you? Thanks.
No. Never annoyed & welcome the company, unless I am preparing an elaborate meal/dinner. Then, I prefer to be alone & concentrate on what I need to do. Otherwise, it is quite the opposite - more of a social gathering, i.e. make yourself a cocktail or have a glass of wine & chat. Wish I had more space & seating than I do now, but I'll squeeze you in.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:31 PM   #30
Senior Cook

My kitchen isn't very big so you can't get too many people in it. With that being said, I'll have all my serving dishes layed out on the kitchen table to be filled and taken to the dining room. Inevitably someone wants to sit at the kitchen table to watch me and starts moving things around. lol
No one else in my family likes to cook, so they usually steer clear until time to serve. Dh will sneak in and try to grab something or other "just to taste". At least I know they like my cooking!

Barb