"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-21-2008, 12:44 PM   #31
Executive Chef

Yes, I get annoyed. I don't mind someone else being in the kitchen, as long as they know that I move around quite a bit, and you need to be aware of where I'm going and what I have in my hands, as it can be razor-sharp or hot. Don't get in my way.

My kids are always running through the kitchen, wanting a glass of water, a sandwich, etc. The dogs are always underfoot. I really dislike stepping on the chihuahuas, as they're so small, I could really hurt them. That also translates to the kids, as I don't want to step on them.

What we really need to do is get some barstools for the prep counter, as it also serves as a bar. That way the kids could watch what I'm doing, as I know that's the main thing they want to do.

Occasionally PeppA will ask if I want help. She'll dice up some onions or something for me.

I will admit I have some hangups. I prefer to prep everything myself, as that way I know what it will do in the pan, texture, taste, etc. Sometimes someone else will prep something for me, and it isn't cut right, or doesn't taste right, and for me, it's ruined, but it's still perfectly suitable. I recognize this, and usually bite my tongue. However, I'll work myself to death, get all upset, etc., trying to get everything ready by myself when I know that I can't really do it, just because I don't trust anyone else to make something "exactly" like I do.

Old 11-21-2008, 01:14 PM   #32
Head Chef

It doesn't bother me at all. I love having friends and family in the kitchen, we all seem to gather there. I'm with Allen on the pets though, my daughters cat is always under foot in the kitchen.

Old 11-21-2008, 02:16 PM   #33
Head Chef

Quote:
as it can be razor-sharp or hot. Don't get in my way.
Hug time excepted, of course!
Old 11-21-2008, 02:17 PM   #34
Head Chef

I cook a great deal and I'm good at it. My family and friends seldom cook and they AREN'T good at it so watching me cook is a source of fascination for them. I can understand that, but they ask a jillion questions and they all stand over my shoulder and next to me at the stove. I work fairly fast and when I need to reach for something I have to step on at least 3 people to get at what I want.

I don't need or want their help, it only hinders me because it takes time to tell or show them what to do. I'm flattered but please don't stand over me when I cook. Sit in the kitchen with me if you want to , have a glass of wine and chat. I love that part, BUT STAY THE HELL OUT OF MY WAY!!!
Old 11-21-2008, 02:55 PM   #35
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaQueen View Post
Sit in the kitchen with me if you want to , have a glass of wine and chat. I love that part, BUT STAY THE HELL OUT OF MY WAY!!!
I agree. I tend to stage things in three areas of the kitchen and move between them working on something in each area at the same time. As long as they are in one place out of the way with their hands out of the food they are welcome.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:50 PM   #36
Head Chef

I like the company while I am cooking, but don't want the help. My kitchen is really designed for one person, and I worry about injuring myself or the "helper". I would prefer that you make your own drink, eat the nibbles I have pre-prepared, and sit on the other side of the kitchen bar, and keep me company. Ask questions if you like. What really bugs me, though, are those wanting to help me clean up. I use tin lined copper cookware, laminated japanese knives, and good china and glassware. I prefer to clean them up myself. None of these go in the dishwasher, or get anywhere a scouring pad.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:22 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

my kitchen is small. one more person other than myself is all it can handle. i'm ok with them being there, as long as they do an assigned task and leave the rest alone. you know, put rolls on pan for oven or set up coffee station. they can open cans, olives etc. they really need to stay out of my way. when i do a holiday, like to do as much as i can in days before. so not a lot of prep. annoyed ?no, thrilled?not so much
when i dish up dessert though, i let one person take the order and serve it. guests are not always at the table for dessert
Old 11-21-2008, 05:14 PM   #38
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeV View Post
I'm blessed with a big kitchen that has an island where visitors can sit and chat or help out if they are so inclined. I don't invite people into my home who are toads, trolls or PIA's, so it's a non-issue for me. Here's a pic before I tiled the back splash walls.

Okay now I surely do feel like I am justified in complaining when someone only 'stands' in the kitchen. YOUR kitchen is something that I only can dream about. I am so very happy for you. Looks absolutely gorgeous. As I said DREAM kitchen. You don't have any right to complain. This Thanksgiving count your blessings and thanks so much for sharing.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:17 PM   #39
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenOK View Post
...I really dislike stepping on the chihuahuas, as they're so small, I could really hurt them...
For me it is a German Shepherd and two cats. The cats don't hang out in the kitchen with me that much, but when they do, they like to wrap themselves around my legs as I cook and try to walk. Cubbie likes to lie right across my path so that I have to step over him to go to the living room. Like kids and husbands, he has selective hearing and doesn't hear me telling him to move! Of course, as soon as I get past him, he gets up and follows me into the living room so that as soon as I pull my chair up to the computer, he can sit right behind the wheels of my chair! I guess it is kind of like tying a bell to a sleepwalker--he wants to make sure he notices when I leave!

Barbara
Old 11-21-2008, 06:21 PM   #40
Head Chef

doesn't bother me as long as they want to help here and there but don't tell me how to make what im cooking or add seasoning while im still making it.