Do you get annoyed by people while cooking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lbb87

Cook
Is there anyone here who gets highly irritated (even enraged) when other people are hanging around in the kitchen while you're trying to cook? If so, could you please explain why it bothers you? Thanks.

The only people who could annoy me while I'm cooking would be the same people who'd annoy me while I'm doing anything. The cooking isn't the common denominator, it the level of annoyance they make you wear. Face it, there are some people who procure invitations to your home that you'd rather never have darken your doorstep, so having them in the kitchen, a holy ground as far as I'm concerned, is surely going to get your ire up.

On the other hand, regardless my kitchen is the size of a postage stamp with windows, I love having people in the kitchen with me. As long as they can anticipate my moves and give me the little space I require to work, I always encourage people to linger in the kitchen.

Is there anyone here who gets highly irritated (even enraged) when other people are hanging around in the kitchen while you're trying to cook? If so, could you please explain why it bothers you? Thanks.

How do you feel about it?

Too small, my kitchen is small and when someone else is in there, I feel I should physically pick them up and put them on a shelf. Seems before I get chance to serve the food, they are sampling what it tastes like. I have to sample it to make sure it is seasoned right.

Normally, I think it would be okay if someone where in the kitchen as I do enjoy someone commenting about what I am doing and if they will like it.

I generally annoyed by my Mom (when she come to my home). She thinks that I know nothing about cooking and she likes to give me lots of advices and directions.

I'm blessed with a big kitchen that has an island where visitors can sit and chat or help out if they are so inclined. I don't invite people into my home who are toads, trolls or PIA's, so it's a non-issue for me. Here's a pic before I tiled the back splash walls.

img_729528_0_8e10c5e9e23d7235eb504c1b177d8c06.jpg

JoeV - Wow! What a gorgeous kitchen. Congradulations.

Vera - I understand what you are saying, completely. It is not alwas possible to control who comes to your house.

If I am in the kitchen, also my holy ground, I am alwasy accompanied by my tow Larrador Retrievers. They ar usually parked on the floor in inconvenient locations awaiting the slip of hand that will place a food morsel on the playing field and initiate a call to action. Thye asre also crazy good to me and I don't mind. I appreciate plesant company while cooking. I reserver the right to slect who may and may not sample, unfortunately, based on arbitrary criteria. As far as help, not so much. I kind of maintain that I cook it and someone else can serve it. There is where I really appreciate help.

DW has a GF that comes to the house infrequently, She is a really great person. She will usually pitch in without asking and is a wonderful person to have helping. Ine day I was doing dinner for about 12 and was WAY behind the gun. She and her cousin showed up pitched in and put everything back on schedule without any of us getting in eachother's way, it fealt great!.

As far as those that come to my house that i would just as soon not come, I can always find a way to be doing something that requires my full attention. I do believe that if someone is a gueat in my house, they must be treated as a guest.

I have a kind of dreamy fantisy that I could pick two people at DC who's cooking I really like and prepare a meal with them.

All in all, yup, the kitchen is hallowed ground.

AC

No one is ever here except James and me. James stays away from the kitchen while I am cooking. We can still talk, as the kitchen and living room are attached and he's only around 15 feet away.

I remember my mom's one irritation about other people in the kitchen (besides the fact that there wasn't a lot of room to move around in there). My sister would idly lift lids and stir things (I say idly because she wasn't doing it to help--just bored and it was something to do). Usually my mom had just stirred it, and sometimes it was something that needed to cook undisturbed for awhile.

If she had ever caught me at it, I'm sure she would have been irritated at me whenever she made spaghetti, as I was always snitching mushrooms out of the sauce as it cooked! After I moved away I asked her if she had noticed that there were a lot more mushrooms in the spaghetti since I had moved out!

:)Barbara

Not much bothers me in the kitchen. Our kitchen is small so when someone is cooking we leave them alone unless they ask for help. :chef:

I love having people in the kitchen when I cook. I do not find it annoying at all. I actually prefer it. Sometimes it can be challanging though. My wife always decided to use the sink right when I need it and if it is cold water I need then she has the hot running and vice versa. It does not annoy me though. I tell her I need to borrow the sink and she out of my way before I can even finish asking her.

The one thing that has started making me nervous since my boy is now walking is when I am cooking stuff that splatters. I do not mind getting hit with hot oil droplets, but I do not want my kids getting hit. Of course they are very curious and want to watch what I am doing so that can be a challange. It is not annoying though.

My wife, for reasons unknown, almost always thinks it is Hug Time....
when I am chopping, slicing, dicing, frying, stirring or otherwise involved
in an active cook moment.
Don't get me wrong, I like Hug Times... but can't it wait a moment or two?
Otherwise, I like people hanging out to keep me company while I cooks.

I put my grandson in the high chair near the stove so he can watch. It's as effective as Sesame Street at keeping his attention.

Yeah I do the same thing Andy. It works about 50% of the time. The other 50% he just refuses to be in his seat. It is perfect when he allows it though as I can keep him a safe distance from everything and I know exactly where he is.

For many years our holidays have been at Mom & Dad's house with only the three of us doing the cooking. When everyone was here we would have around 35. It always amazed me that EVERYONE wanted to crowd into the kitchen to snatch a little taste of something before we served but when it came time to do the dishes NO ONE was around. My SIL's could set records on how fast they could load up the kids and dissapear before the table was cleared.

Mom and I can always work side by side in the kitchen but I do not do well when I have others in MY kitchen standing in the way and asking stupid questions. (aka Not Offering to Help) My EX SIL was the worst. She would walk right up behind me and stare into a pan or bowl over my shoulder. I have this giant Chef's Knife that I almost stabbed her with one time because she was so close when I started to turn around.

I guess it depends on the person. I am so use to doing everything by myself that it is a little jarring to tell someone else that wants to help what to do. However, I have taught people how to bake at my house--that wasn't so bad. I think that I prefer demonstration though unless it is something like cookies.

I'm OK with people being around but I do intensely dislike people messing with the food I'm cooking. DW will come in and feel the need to prod or stir things.

Back
Top Bottom