"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-21-2008, 06:35 AM   #1
Cook

Do you get annoyed by people while cooking?

Is there anyone here who gets highly irritated (even enraged) when other people are hanging around in the kitchen while you're trying to cook? If so, could you please explain why it bothers you? Thanks.

Old 11-21-2008, 06:37 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

I appreciate the company while I'm cooking.

Old 11-21-2008, 07:33 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

I appreciate the company too -----And the help!!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 07:36 AM   #4
Executive Chef

The only people who could annoy me while I'm cooking would be the same people who'd annoy me while I'm doing anything. The cooking isn't the common denominator, it the level of annoyance they make you wear. Face it, there are some people who procure invitations to your home that you'd rather never have darken your doorstep, so having them in the kitchen, a holy ground as far as I'm concerned, is surely going to get your ire up.

On the other hand, regardless my kitchen is the size of a postage stamp with windows, I love having people in the kitchen with me. As long as they can anticipate my moves and give me the little space I require to work, I always encourage people to linger in the kitchen.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:41 AM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbb87 View Post
Is there anyone here who gets highly irritated (even enraged) when other people are hanging around in the kitchen while you're trying to cook? If so, could you please explain why it bothers you? Thanks.

How do you feel about it?
Old 11-21-2008, 07:53 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Too small, my kitchen is small and when someone else is in there, I feel I should physically pick them up and put them on a shelf. Seems before I get chance to serve the food, they are sampling what it tastes like. I have to sample it to make sure it is seasoned right.

Normally, I think it would be okay if someone where in the kitchen as I do enjoy someone commenting about what I am doing and if they will like it.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:01 AM   #7
Sous Chef

I generally annoyed by my Mom (when she come to my home). She thinks that I know nothing about cooking and she likes to give me lots of advices and directions.
radhuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 08:03 AM   #8
Head Chef

I'm blessed with a big kitchen that has an island where visitors can sit and chat or help out if they are so inclined. I don't invite people into my home who are toads, trolls or PIA's, so it's a non-issue for me. Here's a pic before I tiled the back splash walls.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:27 AM   #9
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
JoeV - Wow! What a gorgeous kitchen. Congradulations.

Vera - I understand what you are saying, completely. It is not alwas possible to control who comes to your house.

If I am in the kitchen, also my holy ground, I am alwasy accompanied by my tow Larrador Retrievers. They ar usually parked on the floor in inconvenient locations awaiting the slip of hand that will place a food morsel on the playing field and initiate a call to action. Thye asre also crazy good to me and I don't mind. I appreciate plesant company while cooking. I reserver the right to slect who may and may not sample, unfortunately, based on arbitrary criteria. As far as help, not so much. I kind of maintain that I cook it and someone else can serve it. There is where I really appreciate help.

DW has a GF that comes to the house infrequently, She is a really great person. She will usually pitch in without asking and is a wonderful person to have helping. Ine day I was doing dinner for about 12 and was WAY behind the gun. She and her cousin showed up pitched in and put everything back on schedule without any of us getting in eachother's way, it fealt great!.

As far as those that come to my house that i would just as soon not come, I can always find a way to be doing something that requires my full attention. I do believe that if someone is a gueat in my house, they must be treated as a guest.

I have a kind of dreamy fantisy that I could pick two people at DC who's cooking I really like and prepare a meal with them.

All in all, yup, the kitchen is hallowed ground.

AC
Old 11-21-2008, 08:57 AM   #10
Traveling Welcome Wagon

No one is ever here except James and me. James stays away from the kitchen while I am cooking. We can still talk, as the kitchen and living room are attached and he's only around 15 feet away.

I remember my mom's one irritation about other people in the kitchen (besides the fact that there wasn't a lot of room to move around in there). My sister would idly lift lids and stir things (I say idly because she wasn't doing it to help--just bored and it was something to do). Usually my mom had just stirred it, and sometimes it was something that needed to cook undisturbed for awhile.

If she had ever caught me at it, I'm sure she would have been irritated at me whenever she made spaghetti, as I was always snitching mushrooms out of the sauce as it cooked! After I moved away I asked her if she had noticed that there were a lot more mushrooms in the spaghetti since I had moved out!

Barbara