"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-11-2008, 12:53 PM   #31
Master Chef

I don't know. Maybe it's just me. But sometimes, I just find myself craving air. It used to happen a lot when I was a kid, swimming in the river, under water. And then there's always those girls who used to hang out at the hot-tub last year. They craved air when we'd dunk 'em..

If they're in the house, sometimes I get a craving for a cold hot dog, or a great piece of cheese. Usually, my cravings involve something already in the house. Though there have been times when I just had to get up, go to the store, and get something. I hate it when that happens, especially in February.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 01:38 PM   #32
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilby View Post
I sort of give into my cravings as I feel it is my body telling me what it wants BUT I don't necessarily give in to the food item I crave but aim for the driver behind the craving. Like if I fancied KFC, I would just look for something with fat in it instead. Same with salt foods and milk items. But avoiding the actual craving just means I eat more cos I try for something else and still end up with the thing I craved.

I refuse to put a lot of effort into a craving though so if it means I need to leave the house just to do that when I have perfectly good food/drink here, then, no I won't do that at all.
Giving into your craving is healthy just as you said Bilby. i always have believed that. Times you can't ignore your desires. As long as it is taken with balance. Like one two chocolates fine, not 2lb box! Wouldn't that be great? Even asparagus could be overdone. Only tells me that too much is as everyone says gluttony?

Old 04-11-2008, 02:13 PM   #33
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I crave various things, but my biggest is chips and salsa. And if there is guacamole, that makes it even better.

One night I was craving prime rib so badly that I could actually taste it. We went to a local restaurant, only to discover they only serve it on Fridays. We drove up to the next town (and state) and went to a place we liked. They were out of prime rib. We decided to try one more place (we didn't want to drive all the way to Charlotte), and they had it.

When I don't feel well (and often when I do!) I crave mashed potatoes and gravy.

I don't crave chocolate as often as I used to, but I have been known to tear the pantry apart (not literally!) looking for something chocolate!

Barbara
Old 04-11-2008, 08:00 PM   #34
Master Chef

I am craving some sweets right now.... maybe some nice brownies and ice cream with syrup and nuts and whipped cream...

...Oh that just made it worse!
Old 04-11-2008, 10:16 PM   #35
Senior Cook

hand heading into...

the chippie box for a 20g plain crinkle cut chippies. I thought it would be healthier to buy little packs of chips and put them in an odd part of the house so when DH felt like some he was only eating 1 or 2 and since they were only 100 calories each, in moderation. EXCEPT, I know where I put them and I have learnt to count chip packets extremely fast. Probably not my brightest idea!!
Old 04-11-2008, 10:33 PM   #36
Senior Cook

I just ate a bunch of cookies this afternoon, baked them becasue I was craving them. Cookies are probably my biggest weakness... cookies with chocolate of some sort especially.
Old 04-12-2008, 05:03 AM   #37
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziquzie View Post
12 hours for you, 13 for me :)
expatgirl I can do that. I thought they were farther apart, but no wonder they're the only ones on (ok and you) at 2 am!!!

oh I know what I was thinking. I saw her still on when I posted..... which was 12 am her time. But she wasn't really there. She posted the KFC comment at 5 pm her time.

Ok I'm done scrambling my brain.
You're right, at midnight I wasn't there. I was outside in the street trying to figure out where my blinking cat's biscuits tray had been taken to and separating other people's cats from having barneys in the street! It was animalistic bedlam that night!! Dogs, cats, missing trays, frantic pets wondering why I was outside without them... Should have logged back on to DC, would have been easier and then I could have answered your post!!
Old 04-12-2008, 03:52 PM   #38
Master Chef

I just fell of the wagon and ate some "Goodweed's" pancakes, with syrup! "gasp". And my blood sugar was right where it was supposed to be too.

Ya see, I make 'em every Saturday for my wife, and something more healthy for myself. But they came out so light and perfect... Well, there's sometimes that a man just has to break the rules.

I'll be good from now on. I promise. I'll only make the whole wheat version, and use sugar-free syrup (yuk )

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 06:57 PM   #39
Master Chef

i give into cravings & i'm thin as thin gets. i figure that's our way of getting what we ought to. i was craving boxed macaroni & cheese so i ate that as my dinner with mixed veggies mixed with that.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:31 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
I am craving some sweets right now.... maybe some nice brownies and ice cream with syrup and nuts and whipped cream...

...Oh that just made it worse!
I don't eat a lot of sweets, health and common sense dictate caution..But I dearly love Starbucks Mocha frappachino or latte.So since I have a great ice crusher, and nice large grind your own beans coffee pot, and a daughter who is diabetic like me and loves these thing too..I went to Cost Plus and bought some Torani syrups, I got some unsweetened soy milk, only 4 grams of carbs 2 mg. of sugars...I also picked up some Mocha mix..I got chocolate syrup, english toffee, and caramel at cost plus..I made up a mix of fresh brewed cooled, extra strong coffee,some soy milk an/or mocha mix,some of the chocolate syrup for me and caramel for her...They were really good, wiped out the craving for sweets and was a nice drink to enjoy out by our pool today..I'm thinking of getting some Cool Whip low sugar to top the next batch with

kadesma