"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-31-2008, 11:02 PM   #11
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adillo303 View Post
This embarasing. I have over 45 years in the computer business and do not have, nor do I know how to get a blog site.
Go to blogspot.com and sign up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
What I don't understand is, how is a blogsite different from setting up a website or forum? Why not do that instead?
Could a person "stumble" into your blogsite doing a search?
Because you can get a blog site for free and you usually have to pay to host a website. And yes, someone could "stumble" upon your site if you don't have it set to private invitation only. That's why my family blog is invite only.

B'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 11:04 PM   #12
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyapti View Post
A blog is just a website template and kind-of a public diary. It's easier to maintain than a website because it's set up for periodic entries.

I started a blog this summer, mostly so I could share recipes with family and friends. I post a couple times a week and ended up really enjoy it. What's really stunned me, though, is that people actually read it. It's a pretty niche subject, after all (vegan cooking).

myveggiekitchen.blogspot.com
Your link didn't work for my but typing in the URL did. That stir fry looks awesome! Anyway, your blog could be very useful for me since my little one can't have any milk products.

B'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 11:14 PM   #13
Head Chef

I guess I kinda do and kinda don't have a blog. I have a website www.ukraineorphans.net . The subject is well described by the name, however I do have a bunch of very good borsch recipes posted - never met a borsch I didn't like. Anyway, it does have a page the host designer calls a blog and there I comment about whatever interests me regarding Ukraine, it's more like an editorial page actually.
Old 11-01-2008, 01:16 AM   #14
Head Chef

I started a blog a few years ago to keep our friends and family updated on our moving adventure...the upside is that people read it and give us positive feedback; the downside is that I don't post to it often enough. It also has a link to our flickr page, with lots more pictures, as well as my paintings. The address is:

Jerry and Karen move to Mexico
Old 11-01-2008, 01:42 AM   #15
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
Quote:
Originally Posted by B'sgirl View Post
Your link didn't work for my but typing in the URL did.
Oops! I guess that's proof you don't need much tech savy to have a blog =D
Old 11-01-2008, 07:31 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm getting an idea here....
I used to belong to an email list where there were 300+ members and about 8 regular posters. The discussions could get personal and some of us felt the "lurkers" should participate or be excluded from the list. Some of us stopped posting or jumped ship entirely, but we would still like to stay in touch in a way other than emails. It had been sugessted we start out own email list or forum, but after reading about blogsites I am thinking this would be perfect.

What do you think? Can invited people post away on the site, or do they need to "reply" to a topic the blogsite's owner already started? Is there a limit to what can be posted, do things get archived?
Do you think this might work for what I would like to do?

Thanks
Old 11-01-2008, 11:43 AM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
this would be perfect.

What do you think? Can invited people post away on the site, or do they need to "reply" to a topic the blogsite's owner already started? Is there a limit to what can be posted, do things get archived?

Thanks
Excellent questions. Invited people can post on your blogsite. When you set up your site, you will see a box that allows "other authors" onto your site. Or you can ignore the box and you will be the only author. As I said you have total control and can do so many things with your blogsite that it makes it so much more interesting.

There is no limit to the length of your blogs or to the number of blogs you can archive. I have a friend who writes a funny and very interesting blog. She has triplets and gives us a daily journal on their antics. This is meant to be kept for them to read when they grow up. Her blogs go back 5 years and they will continue for another several years. I hope this answers your question.

P.S. I love that I can post pictures and videos on my blogsite.
Old 11-01-2008, 11:46 AM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
I used to belong to an email list where there were 300+ members and about 8 regular posters. The discussions could get personal and some of us felt the "lurkers" should participate or be excluded from the list. Some of us stopped posting or jumped ship entirely, but we would still like to stay in touch in a way other than emails. It had been sugessted we start out own email list or forum, but after reading about blogsites I am thinking this would be perfect.

Thanks
I hope you don't exclude lurkers. It's fun to just read others blogs without feeling that you have to comment.

As long as the lurkers don't present a problem, I would leave them alone. Now I have to ask: why would you exclude lurkers?
Old 11-01-2008, 11:48 AM   #19
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicoKaren View Post
I started a blog a few years ago to keep our friends and family updated on our moving adventure...the upside is that people read it and give us positive feedback; the downside is that I don't post to it often enough. It also has a link to our flickr page, with lots more pictures, as well as my paintings. The address is:

Jerry and Karen move to Mexico

Loved your blogsite and the great pictures. Why are you not continuing to blog? Please get back into it.
Old 11-01-2008, 11:52 AM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyapti View Post
A blog is just a website template and kind-of a public diary. It's easier to maintain than a website because it's set up for periodic entries.

I started a blog this summer, mostly so I could share recipes with family and friends. I post a couple times a week and ended up really enjoy it. What's really stunned me, though, is that people actually read it. It's a pretty niche subject, after all (vegan cooking).

myveggiekitchen.blogspot.com

No problem clicking onto your site and I really liked what I saw. You know how to do it right.