"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-31-2008, 11:02 PM   #11
Sous Chef
 
B'sgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Utah
Posts: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adillo303 View Post
This embarasing. I have over 45 years in the computer business and do not have, nor do I know how to get a blog site.
Go to blogspot.com and sign up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
What I don't understand is, how is a blogsite different from setting up a website or forum? Why not do that instead?
Could a person "stumble" into your blogsite doing a search?
Because you can get a blog site for free and you usually have to pay to host a website. And yes, someone could "stumble" upon your site if you don't have it set to private invitation only. That's why my family blog is invite only.
__________________

__________________
Michelle
http://foodmakeshimsick.blogspot.com/

B'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 11:04 PM   #12
Sous Chef
 
B'sgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Utah
Posts: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by vyapti View Post
A blog is just a website template and kind-of a public diary. It's easier to maintain than a website because it's set up for periodic entries.

I started a blog this summer, mostly so I could share recipes with family and friends. I post a couple times a week and ended up really enjoy it. What's really stunned me, though, is that people actually read it. It's a pretty niche subject, after all (vegan cooking).

myveggiekitchen.blogspot.com
Your link didn't work for my but typing in the URL did. That stir fry looks awesome! Anyway, your blog could be very useful for me since my little one can't have any milk products.
__________________

__________________
Michelle
http://foodmakeshimsick.blogspot.com/

B'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 11:14 PM   #13
Head Chef
 
David Cottrell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Norwalk, Ohio
Posts: 1,194
I guess I kinda do and kinda don't have a blog. I have a website www.ukraineorphans.net . The subject is well described by the name, however I do have a bunch of very good borsch recipes posted - never met a borsch I didn't like. Anyway, it does have a page the host designer calls a blog and there I comment about whatever interests me regarding Ukraine, it's more like an editorial page actually.
__________________
David Cottrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 01:16 AM   #14
Head Chef
 
MexicoKaren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bucerias, Nayarit, Mexico
Posts: 1,914
I started a blog a few years ago to keep our friends and family updated on our moving adventure...the upside is that people read it and give us positive feedback; the downside is that I don't post to it often enough. It also has a link to our flickr page, with lots more pictures, as well as my paintings. The address is:

Jerry and Karen move to Mexico
__________________
Saludos, Karen
MexicoKaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 01:42 AM   #15
Sous Chef
 
vyapti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 871
Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
Quote:
Originally Posted by B'sgirl View Post
Your link didn't work for my but typing in the URL did.
Oops! I guess that's proof you don't need much tech savy to have a blog =D
__________________
vyapti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 07:31 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
I'm getting an idea here....
I used to belong to an email list where there were 300+ members and about 8 regular posters. The discussions could get personal and some of us felt the "lurkers" should participate or be excluded from the list. Some of us stopped posting or jumped ship entirely, but we would still like to stay in touch in a way other than emails. It had been sugessted we start out own email list or forum, but after reading about blogsites I am thinking this would be perfect.

What do you think? Can invited people post away on the site, or do they need to "reply" to a topic the blogsite's owner already started? Is there a limit to what can be posted, do things get archived?
Do you think this might work for what I would like to do?

Thanks
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 11:43 AM   #17
Head Chef
 
DramaQueen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Posts: 1,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I'm getting an idea here....
this would be perfect.

What do you think? Can invited people post away on the site, or do they need to "reply" to a topic the blogsite's owner already started? Is there a limit to what can be posted, do things get archived?
Do you think this might work for what I would like to do?

Thanks
Excellent questions. Invited people can post on your blogsite. When you set up your site, you will see a box that allows "other authors" onto your site. Or you can ignore the box and you will be the only author. As I said you have total control and can do so many things with your blogsite that it makes it so much more interesting.

There is no limit to the length of your blogs or to the number of blogs you can archive. I have a friend who writes a funny and very interesting blog. She has triplets and gives us a daily journal on their antics. This is meant to be kept for them to read when they grow up. Her blogs go back 5 years and they will continue for another several years. I hope this answers your question.

P.S. I love that I can post pictures and videos on my blogsite.
__________________
Visit my blogsite: Chew On This
DramaQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 11:46 AM   #18
Head Chef
 
DramaQueen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Posts: 1,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I'm getting an idea here....
I used to belong to an email list where there were 300+ members and about 8 regular posters. The discussions could get personal and some of us felt the "lurkers" should participate or be excluded from the list. Some of us stopped posting or jumped ship entirely, but we would still like to stay in touch in a way other than emails. It had been sugessted we start out own email list or forum, but after reading about blogsites I am thinking this would be perfect.

What do you think? Can invited people post away on the site, or do they need to "reply" to a topic the blogsite's owner already started? Is there a limit to what can be posted, do things get archived?
Do you think this might work for what I would like to do?

Thanks
I hope you don't exclude lurkers. It's fun to just read others blogs without feeling that you have to comment.

As long as the lurkers don't present a problem, I would leave them alone. Now I have to ask: why would you exclude lurkers?
__________________
Visit my blogsite: Chew On This
DramaQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 11:48 AM   #19
Head Chef
 
DramaQueen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Posts: 1,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicoKaren View Post
I started a blog a few years ago to keep our friends and family updated on our moving adventure...the upside is that people read it and give us positive feedback; the downside is that I don't post to it often enough. It also has a link to our flickr page, with lots more pictures, as well as my paintings. The address is:

Jerry and Karen move to Mexico

Loved your blogsite and the great pictures. Why are you not continuing to blog? Please get back into it.
__________________
Visit my blogsite: Chew On This
DramaQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 11:52 AM   #20
Head Chef
 
DramaQueen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Posts: 1,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by vyapti View Post
A blog is just a website template and kind-of a public diary. It's easier to maintain than a website because it's set up for periodic entries.

I started a blog this summer, mostly so I could share recipes with family and friends. I post a couple times a week and ended up really enjoy it. What's really stunned me, though, is that people actually read it. It's a pretty niche subject, after all (vegan cooking).

myveggiekitchen.blogspot.com


No problem clicking onto your site and I really liked what I saw. You know how to do it right.
__________________

__________________
Visit my blogsite: Chew On This
DramaQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.