Do You have a Blog site?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DramaQueen

Head Chef
I used to have a blog site but gave it up for lack of time. Now I'm thinking about starting it up again. As you all know I have a lot to say and a head full of thoughts and ideas.
Do you blog? If so, do you blog every day? Is your blog visible to the public or by invitation only? Will you post your blog site on this thread so we can see it?
And most of all, what are the pros and cons of blogging?

You should definitely start up your blog again. I would be very interested in reading it, I always enjoy your comments.

Mine is curlyandburlyventspot.blogspot.com. B warned, it covers a wide variety of subjects and I tend to be pretty opinionated.

Thanks for posting your blogsite. You have an interesting mind. I did comment, hope it took. What is the downside to blogging? What's the upside?

The downside is that your relatives will see what you really think. And you might say something you regret and people all over the world will have read it.

The upside is that it is a way to fight back at the media for not telling the whole truth. It's a way to tell a whole bunch of people something at once so you don't have to keep repeating yourself. And it's a good way to keep family and friends updated (I do a family blog with pictures but it's private).

Thanks for visiting the blog. I'm still waiting for others to post theirs. (fingers tapping)

This embarasing. I have over 45 years in the computer business and do not have, nor do I know how to get a blog site.

I think you and B's Girl covered anything that I can think of for upside.

Downside.
1) It is a self invited invasion of privacy.

2) It has, on occasion been used by prospective employers in screening for the hiring practice.

3) It has been used against employees.

If you are retired, as I percieve you are Drama Queen, you may not care.

Definitely do not post anything that you do not want everyone to see and spin their way, noy yours.

With all that said, I do have a whole lot, I would like to get off my chest.

Finally, mood is hard to convey in print. None of this is said in a demeaning, or angary way.

AC

This embarasing. I have over 45 years in the computer business and do not have, nor do I know how to get a blog site.

I think you and B's Girl covered anything that I can think of for upside.

Downside.
1) It is a self invited invasion of privacy.

2) It has, on occasion been used by prospective employers in screening for the hiring practice.

3) It has been used against employees.

If you are retired, as I percieve you are Drama Queen, you may not care.

Definitely do not post anything that you do not want everyone to see and spin their way, noy yours.

With all that said, I do have a whole lot, I would like to get off my chest.

Finally, mood is hard to convey in print. None of this is said in a demeaning, or angary way.

AC

Okay here's your tutorial. :LOL:

1. It is not an invasion of privacy. When you blog on a subject you expect it to be seen by the general public. But they will only see it if they have your blog address or a link somewhere. If you want to keep it private you can make your blog seen by invitation only. It will be seen by only those whose e-mail addresses you have given your account.

2. Your opinions, meanderings, thoughts, ideas and whatever you blog are a part of the freedom of speech amendment. Your employer cannot see your blog if you haven't given him your blog address and have approved his viewing.

3. See 1 and 2

And yes, I'm retired. Not dead, just retired. Blogging is a lot of fun and you'll soon see how many online friends you make.

No one can see or comment on your blog unless you allow them to do just that. When a comment comes through, if you have your settings set to "notify" you will be alerted by e-mail that a comment has come through to your blogsite. You can read that comment and decide whether or not to allow it to be published in your comment section. I dont' allow any comments I haven't seen . If someone you have allowed onto your blog comments in a way you don't think is appropriate to publish, just hit delete. You have total freedom and control over your blogsite. And you talk about anything from soup to nuts.

If you have something to say, I wish you would share it with us. I love stimulating conversation. Go to B's girl's site and take a look. I'm sure she censors her comments too.
Mine is almost ready and will be called "Out Of A Drama Queen's Mind." watch for it.

I had a blog about 4 years ago but it went dormant. I have an idea for a new blog, which I may start up this winter. My fear is that I won't post enough content to keep it active.

Thanks for the tutorial DQ.
I'll say that I don't know what the blog thing is all about. I watch ESPN and their people are saying so and so's blog said.... and I wonder what they mean. Why didn't the guy just call a reporter and tell them what he said.
So OK, probably different for a celebrity, maybe they have somebody "blogging" for them, maybe they don't, but I kinda understand the blog thing a little better now.

What I don't understand is, how is a blogsite different from setting up a website or forum? Why not do that instead?
Could a person "stumble" into your blogsite doing a search?

Thanks

DQ - I am really not trying to be combative. I do find the subjecy interesting, but, please take a look here.

I put the last paragraph in my post to hopefully convey that I am not trying to be critical. As far as I am concerned retired is good. Hopefully I will get to do that someday.

So how does ont go about "Getting a blog ready?"

One last comment. Making your blog private is one thing. If you do not Google, Yahoo, etc.. will find it and index it. I know someone who built an entire website, got hacked ahd his server was destroyed. He got all his code for his website back from Google.

Thank You

AC

What I don't understand is, how is a blogsite different from setting up a website or forum? Why not do that instead?

Thanks

A blog is just a website template and kind-of a public diary. It's easier to maintain than a website because it's set up for periodic entries.

I started a blog this summer, mostly so I could share recipes with family and friends. I post a couple times a week and ended up really enjoy it. What's really stunned me, though, is that people actually read it. It's a pretty niche subject, after all (vegan cooking).

myveggiekitchen.blogspot.com

Last edited:

Go to blogspot.com and sign up.

Because you can get a blog site for free and you usually have to pay to host a website. And yes, someone could "stumble" upon your site if you don't have it set to private invitation only. That's why my family blog is invite only.

A blog is just a website template and kind-of a public diary. It's easier to maintain than a website because it's set up for periodic entries.

I started a blog this summer, mostly so I could share recipes with family and friends. I post a couple times a week and ended up really enjoy it. What's really stunned me, though, is that people actually read it. It's a pretty niche subject, after all (vegan cooking).

Your link didn't work for my but typing in the URL did. That stir fry looks awesome! Anyway, your blog could be very useful for me since my little one can't have any milk products.

I guess I kinda do and kinda don't have a blog. I have a website www.ukraineorphans.net . The subject is well described by the name, however I do have a bunch of very good borsch recipes posted - never met a borsch I didn't like. Anyway, it does have a page the host designer calls a blog and there I comment about whatever interests me regarding Ukraine, it's more like an editorial page actually.

I started a blog a few years ago to keep our friends and family updated on our moving adventure...the upside is that people read it and give us positive feedback; the downside is that I don't post to it often enough. It also has a link to our flickr page, with lots more pictures, as well as my paintings. The address is:

Jerry and Karen move to Mexico

I'm getting an idea here....
I used to belong to an email list where there were 300+ members and about 8 regular posters. The discussions could get personal and some of us felt the "lurkers" should participate or be excluded from the list. Some of us stopped posting or jumped ship entirely, but we would still like to stay in touch in a way other than emails. It had been sugessted we start out own email list or forum, but after reading about blogsites I am thinking this would be perfect.

What do you think? Can invited people post away on the site, or do they need to "reply" to a topic the blogsite's owner already started? Is there a limit to what can be posted, do things get archived?
Do you think this might work for what I would like to do?

Thanks

this would be perfect.

What do you think? Can invited people post away on the site, or do they need to "reply" to a topic the blogsite's owner already started? Is there a limit to what can be posted, do things get archived?

Thanks

Excellent questions. Invited people can post on your blogsite. When you set up your site, you will see a box that allows "other authors" onto your site. Or you can ignore the box and you will be the only author. As I said you have total control and can do so many things with your blogsite that it makes it so much more interesting.

There is no limit to the length of your blogs or to the number of blogs you can archive. I have a friend who writes a funny and very interesting blog. She has triplets and gives us a daily journal on their antics. This is meant to be kept for them to read when they grow up. Her blogs go back 5 years and they will continue for another several years. I hope this answers your question.

P.S. I love that I can post pictures and videos on my blogsite.

I used to belong to an email list where there were 300+ members and about 8 regular posters. The discussions could get personal and some of us felt the "lurkers" should participate or be excluded from the list. Some of us stopped posting or jumped ship entirely, but we would still like to stay in touch in a way other than emails. It had been sugessted we start out own email list or forum, but after reading about blogsites I am thinking this would be perfect.

Thanks

I hope you don't exclude lurkers. It's fun to just read others blogs without feeling that you have to comment.

As long as the lurkers don't present a problem, I would leave them alone. Now I have to ask: why would you exclude lurkers?

I started a blog a few years ago to keep our friends and family updated on our moving adventure...the upside is that people read it and give us positive feedback; the downside is that I don't post to it often enough. It also has a link to our flickr page, with lots more pictures, as well as my paintings. The address is:

Jerry and Karen move to Mexico

Loved your blogsite and the great pictures. Why are you not continuing to blog? Please get back into it.

No problem clicking onto your site and I really liked what I saw. You know how to do it right. ;)

Back
Top Bottom